Author: Jordi Palet
Submitted On: 02 May 2019
PDP text for the petition process is not clear and need to be improved. In view of my experience in the recent petition, I see several issues:
1) The text doesn't mention if is natural or working days. The staff is interpreting it as natural days, and in that case it is extremely short, considering that the process need to be followed by people not just from the ARIN service region. In our case, was in the middle of a weekend and co-author country holidays. I will say that it should be either 7 or even 10 natural days (for each time frame), because it will be difficult to seeks "working days" in all the countries. I understand that people just need to say, if they support the petition "I support it", but this is not something that people do over the weekend, or even in the middle of the week they will give priority to respond within the deadline. What about vacation periods, which may be longer than 7 days. Should an exception deadline be considered at staff discretion if it happens within eastern, summer holidays, xmas, etc. ?
2) It is not clear either if the 5 days are for starting the petition or from start-to-end. It looks like it is 5 days to start the petition, then 5 days to get the support. Should be clearer.
3) It should be stated that co-authors also count for the number of petitioners, as they are community members.
4) I understand that in some cases, several participants from a single organization should be counted only as one, to prevent a single organization to make its own petition happening, but this should be enforced only in those cases. Otherwise, the PDP is for community members, and even within a single organization, there are different views, so all them should count.
5) Some community participants may not be affiliated, or they don't want to speak on behalf of its employeer (or not allowed to). So asking for their affiliation, except in the case indicated 4), should not be needed.
Value to Community: Ensuring that the process is well understood and fair.
Timeframe: Not specified
Updated: 08 May 2019
08 May 2019
Thank you for your suggestion, numbered 2019.9 upon confirmed receipt.
As we understand it, this suggestion recommends edits and clarifications to the Petitions section of the Policy Development Process (PDP) in order to make the process clearer and more fair.
Given that changes to the PDP are made per direction of the ARIN Board of Trustees, this suggestion will be provided to the ARIN Board Chair, and it will be reviewed during the next periodic update to the PDP.
Thank you for your participation in the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process. This suggestion is now closed.