Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 17 August 2023



  • Leif Sawyer, Chair (LS)
  • Kat Hunter, Vice Chair (KH)
  • Doug Camin (DC)
  • Andrew Dul (AD)
  • Gerry George (GG)
  • Brian Jones (BJ)
  • Kendrick Knowles (KK)
  • Anita Nikolich (AN)
  • Amy Potter (AP)
  • Gus Reese (GR)
  • Chris Tacit (CT)
  • Alicia Trotman (AT)
  • Matthew Wilder (MW)
  • Alison Wood (AW)
  • Chris Woodfield (CW)

ARIN Staff:

  • Eddie Diego, (ED) Policy Analyst
  • Jenny Fulmer, (JF) Staff Attorney
  • Richard Jimmerson, Chief Operating Officer
  • Lisa Liedel, Director, Registration Services
  • Therese Simcox, Sr. E.A. and Scribe
  • John Sweeting, Chief Customer Officer

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:05 p.m. ET. He welcomed everyone to the call.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair reviewed the agenda and called for any comments. There were no comments.

3. Approval of the Minutes

(Exhibit A)

“The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 20 July 2023, as written.”

The Chair called for any comments. There were no comments.

The motion carried with no objections.

4. Draft Policy ARIN 2022-12: Direct Assignment Language Update.

DC stated that the policy shepherds paused the staff and legal review as activity ramped up on the Public Policy Mailing List (PPML). The shepherds added comments received from the PPML to the policy language. They will request a new staff and legal to be ready for the September AC Meeting.

5. Draft Policy ARIN 2023-1 Retire Slow Start.

BJ stated that there are no changes, and this policy will be presented at ARIN 52. AD asked if it he intended to present it as a draft or recommended draft policy. BJ stated he would present it as a draft policy. AD asked the shepherds of any outstanding policies to please indicate their intention of presenting the polices as draft or recommended draft so that the AC can take appropriate action to move any draft policies forward in September to recommended draft, if appropriate. AP, secondary shepherd on this policy, stated that she believed it is fairer to the community to present this policy as draft to allow more community feedback than what has occurred thus far on the PPML.

6. Draft Policy ARIN 2023-2: /26 initial IPv4 allocation for IXPs.

MW stated that after discussing with co-shepherd GR, they posted options to the PPML to assuage concerns raised and are monitoring feedback. CW noted some context for which this was submitted, one of which was a public statement from a community ISP operator expressing plans for launching large number of community ISPs which would use a large amount of space. He noted that we can point to public comments.

7. Draft Policy ARIN 2023-3: Amendment of the Waitlist Agreement to Include a Restriction on Leasing

CT stated that there has been quite a bit of commentary on the PPML addressing leasing as a concept and whether folks are in favor or not. He also noted other concerns expressed regarding whether the text of the policy would carry out the intent without unintended consequences. CT stated that the shepherds need more feedback on this policy given the diversity of views and questions. They will present the policy at ARIN 52 and will not make any decision regarding moving it to recommended draft status pending the receipt of further feedback. He further noted he has asked for this item to be a table topic at ARIN 52 and staff agreed to add it to the agenda. He stated that there are no changes at this time, but the shepherds are seeking input on the policy’s substance and if the language carries the intent.

8. Draft Policy ARIN-2023-4: Modernization of Registration Requirements.

AN stated that there were no changes at this time. The policy has been posted to the PPML and the shepherds received initial feedback. There were concerns on the term ‘timely’, which feels vague to folks, and on the terms ‘applicable law’ and ‘privacy law’. The shepherds will edit the text and present it at ARIN 52 as a draft policy; after which they will request a staff and legal review.

9. ARIN AC Working Groups

  • Number Resource Policy Manual Working Group (NRPM WG) Update. CT stated the WG has filed three new proposals resulting from their activities and are awaiting policy shepherds to be assigned. The WG is beginning review of Section 6 of NRPM. He noted this is an interesting exercise because, although not formulated as global policy, Section 6 largely reflects the combined efforts of various RIRs getting together for implementation of IPv6. There is extra language that may now be unnecessary, and the section does not match the style of NRPM. The WG will be reviewing the section carefully to remove redundancy and make the style of Section 6 match that of the rest of the NRPM better, to the extent applicable.

  • Policy Experience Report Working Group (PER WG) Update. AW stated the WG is in the process of setting meetings to discuss changes to Section 4 and remove any duplicative efforts. It will be ready for ARIN 52.

10. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business.

  • Changes in Employment and Affiliation. None reported.
  • Fellowship Program. The Chair stated that staff needs one more mentor from the AC for fellows attending ARIN 52. He encouraged members to volunteer and asked them to please contact staff if interested.
  • Table Topics for ARIN 52. The Chair reminded the AC to review proposed table topics and choose which ones they believe the community would be interested in, and to please add any new ones they feel are appropriate.
  • New Proposals. The Chair stated three new proposals have been received (323, 324 and 325). The Chair called for AC members to review them and please reach out if they are interested in shepherding any of them prior to them being assigned.
  • ARIN 52 and NANOG 89. The Vice Chair stated that registration is now open for ARIN 52. It was noted that NANOG 89 registration was also open. The CCO reminded the AC to please register for NANOG on or before Sunday as their early-bird rate will expire. It was encouraged that the Council work with staff expeditiously to book their travel to ensure a hotel room reservation as rooms are limited.

11. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:35 p.m. ET. MW moved to adjourn, seconded by KH. The meeting adjourned with no objections.