Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 20 July 2023



  • Leif Sawyer, Chair (LS)
  • Kat Hunter, Vice Chair (KH)
  • Doug Camin (DC)
  • Andrew Dul (AD)
  • Gerry George (GG)
  • Brian Jones (BJ)
  • Kendrick Knowles (KK)
  • Anita Nikolich (AN)
  • Amy Potter (AP)
  • Gus Reese (GR)
  • Chris Tacit (CT)
  • Alicia Trotman (AT)
  • Matthew Wilder (MW)
  • Chris Woodfield (CW)

ARIN Staff:

  • Michael Abejuela, General Counsel
  • Eddie Diego, (ED) Policy Analyst
  • Jenny Fulmer, (JF) Staff Attorney
  • Richard Jimmerson, Chief Operating Officer
  • Lisa Liedel, Director, Registration Services
  • Therese Simcox, Sr. E.A. and Scribe
  • John Sweeting, Chief Customer Officer


  • Alison Wood

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:17 p.m. ET. He acknowledged regrets from AW.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair reviewed the agenda with the Council and called for any comments. The COO asked to provide an update on policies advanced for Board adoption. The Chair agreed to discuss under Any Other Business.

3. Approval of the Minutes

(Exhibit A)

It was moved by AD and seconded by BJ that:

“The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 15 June 2023, as written.”

The Chair called for discussion. There were no comments.

The motion carried with no objections.

4. Draft Policy ARIN 2022-12: Direct Assignment Language Update.

LS stated that he spoke with DC, who agreed to become the primary policy shepherd with LS as secondary. They updated the language of the policy and posted it to the AC Wiki and to the Public Policy Mailing List (PPML) and are currently monitoring responses received.

5. Draft Policy ARIN 2023-1 Retire Slow Start.

BJ stated that there have been no changes to the policy. It will be presented at ARIN 52, and they continue to solicit feedback on the PPML.

6. Draft Policy ARIN 2023-2: /26 initial IPv4 allocation for IXPs.

MW stated that he met with GR and reviewed feedback received from the PPML. Folks had concerns with the constraint to a /26 for initial allocations, and he and GR will ask the community for feedback on any adjustments.

7. Draft Policy ARIN 2023-3: Amendment of the Waitlist Agreement to Include a Restriction on Leasing

CT stated that concerns were raised on the draft policy on PPML. Many of the comments address whether it is appropriate for ARIN to be involved in constraining leasing, while others focus on ensuring that if such a policy is implemented, this occurs without any unintended consequences. He stated he would like to brainstorm with the AC on this topic. The Chair suggested it be done via Slack or email. The AC agreed and CT stated he would raise it on the AC’s Slack.

8. ARIN-prop-322: Modernization of Registration Requirements.

AN stated that this proposal came in close to the AC’s last meeting. She and AT discussed it and spoke to the authors for clarity and to ensure that it was in scope. Clarification was received and the proposal is in scope.

It was moved by AN and seconded by AT that:

“The ARIN Advisory Council accepts ‘ARIN-prop-322: Modernization of Registration Requirements’ as a Draft Policy.”

The Chair called for discussion. There were no comments.

The motion carried with all in favor, via roll call vote.

9. ARIN AC Working Groups

  • Number Resource Policy Manual Working Group (NRPM WG) Update. CT stated that the WG is continuing to work through Section 4 and, as a result, there are three proposals coming through the WG. Once drafted and vetted internally by the WG, the proposals will be submitted to ARIN. The WG continues work on Section 4.

  • Policy Experience Report Working Group (PER WG) Update. CW stated there are four action items that they are working on: 12-month waiting period – the decision is not to change the policy; a proposal written to address transfer requirements; consolidation of IPv6 policy and user policy - a work in progress and PER WG will reach out to the NRPMW WG; consolidation of Sections 4.2 and 4.3 which is on-going. AN added that for Section 8.5.6, they are seeking input from the PPML prior to drafting a policy.

10. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business.

  • Changes in Employment and Affiliation. None reported.
  • Fellowship Program. The Chair stated that three AC mentors are needed and provided the contact at ARIN for AC mentor volunteers. He stated that the Fellows learn a lot and appreciate this program. CT noted that he was a mentor, and it was a rewarding experience. He stated that Fellows are interested in learning about ARIN and the community, and he has also fostered friendships. DC noted that he intends on being a mentor again.
  • AC Policies for Board Adoption. The COO updated the AC that the ARIN Board of Trustees held a business meeting on July 18. The Board reviewed all of the policies advanced to them for adoption by the AC in detail and ratified all of them. He noted that ARIN announcements will be forthcoming and are timed to when the Board Minutes are published as draft - which should be early next week. Staff will work on implementing these policies. The COO thanked the AC for their great work on all of the policies.

11. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:33 p.m. CT moved to adjourn seconded by BJ. The meeting adjourned with no objections.