Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 16 February 2023
- Leif Sawyer, Chair (LS)
- Kat Hunter, Vice Chair (KH)
- Doug Camin (DC)
- Andrew Dul (AD)
- Gerry George (GG)
- Brian Jones (BJ)
- Kendrick Knowles (KK)
- Anita Nikolich (AN)
- Gus Reese (GR)
- Chris Tacit (CT)
- Alicia Trotman (AT)
- Matthew Wilder (MW)
- Alison Wood (AW)
- Michael Abejuela, (MA) General Counsel
- John Curran, (JC) President and CEO
- Jenny Fulmer, (JF) Staff Attorney
- Sean Hopkins, (SH) Senior Policy Analyst
- Richard Jimmerson, (RJ) COO
- Therese Simcox, Sr. Executive Assistant / Scribe
- John Sweeting, (CCO) Chief Customer Officer
- Amy Potter
- Chris Woodfield
The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:04 p.m. ET. The presence of a quorum was noted. He acknowledged regrets sent from AP and CW.
2. Agenda Review
The Chair reviewed the agenda with the Council and called for any comments. There were no comments.
3. Approval of the Minutes
It was moved by BJ, and seconded by DC, that:
“The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 27 January 2023, as written.”
The Chair called for comments. There were no comments.
The motion carried with no objections.
4. Recommended Draft Policy ARIN 2021-8: Deprecation of the ‘Autonomous System Originations’ field.
AT stated that this policy is waiting to be presented in April at ARIN 51. No changes at this time.
5. Recommended Draft Policy ARIN 2022-2: Remove Barrier to BGP Uptake in ASN Policy
CT stated that this policy is ready for presentation at ARIN 51.
6. Recommended Draft Policy ARIN 2022-3: Remove Officer Attestation Requirement for 8.5.5.
MW stated that this policy will be presented at ARIN 51. He noted that GG has been brought up to speed on the policy as the new co-policy shepherd.
7. Draft Policy 2022-4: Clean-up of NRPM Sections 2.1 and 2.2
AW stated that she is awaiting the staff and legal review and the policy is waiting to be presented at ARIN 51. SH clarified, stating that at the last meeting AW withdrew the staff and legal review request she had made. AW acknowledged the clarification.
8. Draft Policy ARIN-2022-5: Clean-up of NRPM Section 2.11.
AW stated that this policy is ready to present at ARIN 51.
9. Draft Policy ARIN 2022-8: Streamlining Section 11 Policy Language.
CT stated that this policy’s text has been updated to address staff and legal review concerns.
It was moved by CT, and seconded by BJ, that:
“The ARIN Advisory Council moves ‘Draft Policy ARIN 2022-8: Streamlining Section 11 Policy Language’ to Recommended Draft Policy status.”
The Chair called for discussion. The Chair asked about impacting language from 2022-12 and whether it has been removed. CT replied that he did not believe that the language affects this policy at this point but stated he will address it if it does. CT believed the policy is ready for the community to consider at this level noting that if it has community supported it, it can move forward.
KH asked if another staff and legal review will be requested since the changes were made. CT noted that the changes were minor, and another staff and legal review can be requested but based on advice received from staff a further review may not be necessary.
SH clarified that upon initial receipt, if the changes were only addressing the staff and legal review concerns and that is all that was to be presented at ARIN 51, there would be no issue. Upon current review, he noted that the overall scope of this draft policy accounts for many sections within Section 11 that were redlined. Therefore, he would not discourage a request for another staff and legal review.
MW noted a minor change to the text pointing out that in 2022-11 the term used is ‘Internet number resources’ and in this policy, it is ‘number resources’. He suggested adding ‘Internet’ wherever ‘number resources’ appears. CT asked how long he has to make changes before the text freeze deadlines for presentation at ARIN 51. The Chair replied that the deadlines are March 1 for staff and legal review, and that the text freeze will begin on March 17.
CT noted MW’s suggestion is a technical change and not substantive. Therefore, he stood by the motion made. He stated he would update the language and request a new staff and legal review before the deadlines.
The motion carried with all in favor, via roll call vote.
The Chair stated a conformance statement is needed and asked CT to request the staff and legal review. CT acknowledged.
10. Draft Policy ARIN 2022-11: Clean-up of NRPM – Introduction of Sections 2.17 and 2.18.
AW stated that this policy is ready to be presented at ARIN 51. There were no issues with staff and legal review found.
11. Draft Policy ARIN 2022-12: Direct Allocation Language Update.
LS stated that he met with DC and reviewed the text, and they will rewrite it shortly resulting from the staff and legal review preliminary notes.
12. ARIN AC Working Groups
Number Resource Policy Manual Working Group (NRPM WG) Update. CT welcomed BJ as a new member to the WG. They have just scheduled their meetings and will be meeting in mid-March to get the agenda done and divide tasks between the members. He stated that others are welcome to join.
Policy Experience Report Working Group (PER WG) Update. AW stated that they have several new members and are working on scheduling their meetings. SH stated that due to the number of members and nature of everyone’s schedules, there is little alignment at this time, but it will be worked out. AW thanked him for the update
13. Any Other Business
The Chair called for any other business.
- Changes in Employment and Affiliation. There were no changes reported.
- Policy Deadlines. The Chair reviewed the deadlines with the AC.
- AC Wiki Page. DC is working on updating this for the Council. The Chair asked all to please take a look.
- Expenses. The Chair reminded the members to submit their expense reports from the AC’s face-to-face meeting in January.
- Chair’s Schedule. The Chair stated that he will be on vacation some weeks in March, therefore the Vice Chair will be running the AC’s March teleconference.
- ARIN 51 Travel. The Vice Chair reminded the Council to work on their flight arrangements with ARIN staff.
The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:24 p.m. ET. MW moved to adjourn, seconded by CT. The meeting adjourned with no objections.