Understanding the Return and Revocation Process
On this pageSkip to main text Jump to related content
Occasionally, an organization is no longer in need of Internet number resources (IPv4 addresses, IPv6 addresses, or ASNs) that were once delegated to them by ARIN. For instance, many organizations request ASNs for multi-homing purposes and later find themselves in a non-multi-homed situation, thus no longer needing an ASN.
If your organization no longer needs Internet number resources directly registered to you, those resources can be proactively returned to ARIN by your organization. If your organization discontinues making registration fee payments and does not return the resources, then they may be revoked by ARIN.
ARIN welcomes the return of any unused or unneeded resources so they may be added back to our pool of available Internet number resources for issuance to other organizations.
Returning IPv4 Addresses, IPv6 Addresses, or ASNs (Internet Number Resources)
If you would like to return Internet number resources:
- Log in to ARIN Online using your account and create a ticket via Ask ARIN, stating that you have Internet number resources you would like to return. Please list each IPv4 address block, IPv6 address block, or ASN you would like to return.
- Current ARIN policy does not require organizations to return unused Internet number resources. We will provide you with information to help you determine if you would like to retain, transfer, or return the Internet number resources. Review this information.
- If you would still like to return your Internet number resources, you will need to have an officer of your organization provide a signed and notarized acknowledgment of their return. This document must include that he/she:
- authorizes the return of the resources to ARIN,
- permanently releases all registration rights to the resources, and
- states his/her understanding that once the registration rights to the resources are relinquished, they cannot be later reinstated.
- A Customer Service Resource Analyst will work with you to secure the return of the resources.
Revocation of Resources
Visit Resource Revocation, Returns, and Reinstatement for information about revocation of resources.
Managing Resource Records
- Network Modifications
- Understanding the Return and Revocation Process
Registration Services Help Desk
7:00 AM to 7:00 PM ET