Current Job Openings at ARIN
Employees describe ARIN as offering a supportive, casual, and flexible work environment that provides an atmosphere of continuous learning while being responsive to the community we serve.
Located in Chantilly, VA, ARIN offers competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, training, and education reimbursement. In lieu of stock options (we are a non-profit, membership association), we have a generous 401(k) retirement plan.
In 2017, ARIN was named a Top Workplace by the Washington Post.
Site Reliability Engineer
Apply: To apply for this opening, please e-mail your resume to email@example.com Please note that this is an in-house position. No full-time telecommuters, no consultants. Relocation not provided.
We are currently seeking a Site Reliability Engineer responsible for reliability and automation of ARIN’s infrastructure systems and processes, with an emphasis on automation, successfully enabling deployments, monitoring releases, and keeping software-defined and commodity infrastructure highly available. This Engineer will be part of a team running the production environment by monitoring availability and taking a holistic view of system health. The position will also build software and systems to manage platform infrastructure and applications. This Site Reliability Engineer will help improve reliability, quality, and time-to-market of ARIN’s unique application solutions; measuring and optimizing system performance, with an eye toward pushing ARIN capabilities forward, getting ahead of technical debt, and innovating to continually improve. This position will provide operational support and engineering for multiple distributed software applications.
Job Description and Responsibilities
- Gather and analyze metrics from both operating systems and applications to assist in performance tuning and fault finding.
- Support development teams to improve services through rigorous testing and release procedures.
- Participate in platform management and capacity planning.
- Create sustainable, highly-available systems and services through automation and incremental improvements.
- Continuously evaluate system security, make recommendations for improvement, and incorporate security improvements as required by ARIN policies.
- Provide technical expertise in the operation of all information platforms and DNS zones managed by ARIN.
- Establish guidelines and training for disaster recovery processes.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on hardware and software products based on an assessment of operating requirements.
- Provide on-call support for all critical network and system operations on a rotating basis.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
- Ability and willingness to travel in accordance with the ARIN travel guidelines.
Background / Skills Required
- 4+ years building or supporting applications in distributed environments (LINUX/SQL) and supporting or improving the Systems/Software Development Life Cycle.
- 4+ years of experience in writing automation scripts, building application dashboards for proactive monitoring, and setting up alerts for early determination of the issues.
- Experience with batch scheduling, hands-on systems administration, monitoring, and deployment activities.
- Knowledge of IP networking including DNS, DHCP, firewalls, IP routing, etc.
- Familiarity with large-scale distributed systems and high-availability architectures.
- Coding experience in one or more or programming languages.
- 4-year college degree preferably in an information systems or computer science related discipline OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
Background / Skills Preferred
- Experience with common Internet protocols such TCP/IP, IPv6, DNS, HTTP, IGPs and BGP.
- Experience with Bitbucket, Kubernetes/Docker, AWS, GCP, Bash, Python, Java, Elasticsearch, Grafana, Prometheus, NGINX, Postgres, and/or other tools
- Familiarity with infrastructure automation tools such as Puppet, Chef, Salt, Ansible, Jenkins, Terraform, Nexus, etc.