Consultation Tracking Information
- Requested By: ARIN President
- Status: Completed
- Comments Opened: Linked to Discussion Archives: 16 January 2008
- Comments Closed: 31 January 2008
- Suggestion Number : 2008-1
Subject of Consultation
ARIN received a suggestion (2008.1) that "ARIN shall maintain a software repository (with retrieval via anonymous FTP, HTTP, or other protocols in keeping with best current practices) for user-contributed schemas, software, and other tools for dealing with data published by ARIN."
As a result, ARIN would like to solicit input to the following questions from the following community:
- Should software in this repository be restricted only to contributions that are licensed to be in the public domain? If so, what license should be used (GNU/BSD/others)?
- Should the repository allow separate developers facilities to maintain code directly (tools like subversion) or be a static-read only repository?
- Should the repository only house collections that reflect ARIN's mission?
Discussion on this list will close at noon EST 30 January 2008. Based on the feedback provided, ARIN will then develop a plan regarding this suggestion. If ARIN decides to move forward on this, ARIN will offer this service with an acceptable use policy outlining warranties, commercial use, and community shared enhancements.
This consultation is now closed 31 January 2008.
ARIN will set up a repository that will mirror tools that are provided by the community from other repositories. Upon request, ARIN will setup a subversion repository for tools that have OSI-approved open source licensing. Each tool that is mirrored on the site is to have clearly marked licensing terms and must be relevant to ARIN's mission.
We anticipate having this facility available 4Q of 2008.
08 February 2008