ACSP Consultation 2022.6: Consultation on New ARIN Policy Development Process
Consultation Tracking Information
- Requested By: Staff
- Status: Closed
- Comments Opened: Linked to Discussion Archives: 06 September 2022
- Comments Closed: 06 October 2022
- Suggestion Number: n/a
ARIN is consulting with the community regarding the proposed updated Policy Development Process (PDP) for policy development in the ARIN region.
The PDP Working Group began in early 2020 with a goal to review the PDP and the feedback that had been received over the years, then produce a recommendation for changes based on this review.
The primary goals of this assessment were to:
- improve the readability of the document;
- make recommendations to resolve issues that have been noted in the current process over the past decade;
- and to resolve ambiguity in the current PDP structure.
After this review, the Working Group decided, in consultation with the Advisory Council (AC), to embark on a rewrite of the PDP. This revision to the PDP includes extensive restructuring of the material for improved readability. We have provided a log of significant changes in this revision for community review.
- 1.1 – Purpose: Rewritten; no intended functional changes
- 1.2 – Definitions: Definitions have been added and text rewritten
- 1.3 – Roles and Responsibilities (new): Briefly defines roles and responsibilities for various groups which interact in the PDP lifecycle
- 1.3 (PDP3) – Scope: moved into to section 2 (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 188.8.131.52)
- 1.4 – Principles: Updated text for clarity; no intended functional changes
- 1.5 – Board Criteria: moved into section 2.6.1
- 2.1 - Introduction (new): Notes how the PDP is drafted and how a new reader should approach each section
- 2.2 - Policy Proposal: Rewritten for clarity especially in support of Internet community members who may want to make policy suggestions, removes requirement to submit proposals via email
- 2.2.1 - Policy Proposal Anatomy (new): Defines all the elements of a policy proposal so it can be easily submitted by a member of the Internet community
- 2.2.2 - Criteria for becoming a Draft Policy: Better defines the criteria to advance a proposal to a draft policy
- 2.2.3 - Author Actions: Clarifies that the author is in control of the text during the Policy Proposal phase
- 2.2.4 - AC Actions: Clarifies the actions that the AC can take on a Policy Proposal, including that it may be deemed editorial and use the editorial update process (2.8.1)
- 2.3 - Draft Policy: Updated text for clarity, allows for a Draft Policy to be deemed editorial and use the editorial process (2.8.1) to update the NRPM
- 2.4 - Recommended Draft Policy: Updated text for clarity; no intended functional changes
- 2.5 - Last Call: Clarifies the Internet community feedback solicited by the AC during Last Call; removes the option for the community to petition a policy in Last Call to the Board.
- 2.6 - Policy Adoption: Clarifies process if a Recommended Draft Policy is remanded or rejected by the Board of Trustees
- 2.7 - Staff Implementation: Notes ARIN’s staff role in implementing the PDP and allowing for feedback from staff to the AC on policy implementation
- 2.8 - Special Actions
- 2.8.1 - Editorial Update: Clarifies the editorial process, defines the actions of the AC, the Board of Trustees, staff and the community.
- 2.8.2 - Policy Suspension Criteria: Clarifies the suspension process, defines the actions of the AC, the Board of Trustees, staff and the community.
- 2.8.3 - Emergency Policy: Clarifies the suspension process, defines the actions of the AC, the Board of Trustees, staff and the community.
- Moved petition initiation and counting from the Public Policy Mailing List (PPML) to ARIN’s website
- Clarified and changed timing for petition steps
- Changed of petition participants (now Points of Contact for ARIN resource holders)
- Rewrote as single petition process, petition triggers, and resulting actions are now in section 2
- Levels of support: e.g. number of required supporting members of the Internet community has been collapsed to a single threshold, 15
Section 4 (new) Updating and Amending the PDP
- 4.1 – Suggestions by the ARIN community should be received through the ACSP process and forwarded to the AC
- 4.2 – Notes that the PDP is adopted by the Board under ARIN’s bylaws
Please provide comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can subscribe to this mailing list at https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-consult.
Discussion on email@example.com will close on 6 October 2022. ARIN seeks clear direction through community input, so your feedback is important.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARIN held a community consultation on the proposed updated Policy Development Process (PDP) for policy development in the ARIN region between 6 September and 6 October 2022. No feedback was received during this consultation. At this time, we plan to request the Board make a determination on the adoption and implementation of the new PDP.
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)