Editorial Change ARIN-edit-2020-11
Add Textual Description for the Number Resource Hierarchy Image in Section 2
Status: Under Discussion
Shepherds: Andrew Dul, Chris Tacit
Current Text (26 March 2021)
The beginning of Section 2 in the NRPM shows a diagram of how addressing responsibility is delegated. However, this image does not appear to have a description or even alt text, and the actual text is not selectable. This could have accessibility implications, especially those with sight-related disabilities, or if the NRPM is translated into other languages.
Proposal: Add the following text before the image in Section 2:
Responsibility for management of number resources is distributed globally in accordance with the following procedures:
- Global number resource management is performed by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). IANA distributes number resources to RIRs (AfriNIC, APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC, and the RIPE NCC), but not directly to LIRs (Local Internet Registries) or end users.
- RIRs, such as ARIN, distribute number resources to LIRs and directly to end-user organizations.
- LIRs may further delegate number resources to other LIRs, as well as to other end-user organizations.
Replace the text “ISP Internet Service Provider” in the graphic with the text “LIR Local Internet Registry”
Timetable for Implementation: Immediate
Staff and Legal Review (3 May 2021)
Version Reviewed: 26 March 2021
This Editorial Change adds clarifying text above the graphic for Internet number resource allocation hierarchy in Section 2, and changes the text “ISP Internet Service Provider” in the graphic with the text “LIR Local Internet Registry.” This text poses no Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) issues. While sighted users have no trouble viewing and deciphering the graphic, a hierarchical or bulleted description as a replacement would serve sight challenged individuals better than standard hover/alt text on the image itself.
Implementable as Written?: Yes
Impact on ARIN Registry Operations and Services:
This Editorial Change would cause no operational or service changes.
This item presents no material legal issue.
Implementation Timeframe Estimate: Three months
- Staff training
- Updated public documentation
- Updated internal procedures and guidelines
History and Earlier Versions
|Proposal||24 November 2020|
|Draft Policy||22 December 2020|
|Revised||9 February 2021|
|Revised||26 March 2021|
|Classified as Editorial Change||20 April 2021|
|Advanced to Board of Trustees||23 June 2021|
|Adopted||28 July 2021|
|Implemented||12 August 2021|