Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 22 January 2021
- Leif Sawyer, Chair (LS)
- Kat Hunter, Vice Chair (KH)
- Owen Delong (OD)
- Andrew Dul (AD)
- Gary Giesen (GG)
- Alyssa Moore (AM)
- Anita Nikolich (AN)
- Amy Potter (AP)
- Joe Provo (JP)
- Kerrie Richards (KR)
- Rob Seastrom (RS)
- Chris Tacit (CT)
- Alicia Trotman (AT)
- Alison Wood (AW)
- Matthew Wilder (MW)
- Michael Abejuela, (MA) Deputy General Counsel
- John Curran, President & CEO
- Sean Hopkins, (SH) Policy Analyst
- Richard Jimmerson, (COO) Chief Operating Officer
- Lisa Liedel, (LL) Director - Registration Services
- Therese Simcox, Scribe
- John Sweeting, (CCO) Chief Customer Officer
ARIN Board Observers:
- Peter Harrison, Board Trustee
- Tina Morris, Board Trustee
The Chair called the meeting to order at 2:01 p.m. ET. The presence of a quorum was noted. He welcomed the Council to their first meeting of 2021.
2. Agenda Review
The Chair called for any comments on the agenda. There were no comments.
3. Approval of the Minutes
It was moved by AW, and seconded by JP, that:
“The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 17 December 2020, as written.”
The Chair called for any comments. There were no comments.
The motion carried with no objections.
4. Draft Policy ARIN 2020-2: Reinstatement of Organizations Removed from Waitlist by Implementation of ARIN-2019-16
AM stated that the policy has passed through the petition process and is currently with the ARIN Board for consideration.
5. Draft Policy ARIN-2020-6: Allowance for IPv4 Allocation “Swap” Transactions via 8.3 Specified Transfers and 8.4 Inter-RIR Transfers
OD stated that this policy is a work-in-progress, and that he is working on revisions to the text, which will need further community input.
6. Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2020-7: 4.4 gTLD Micro-Allocation Clarification
AT stated that she intends on presenting the policy at next ARIN Public Policy Meeting (PPM). She noted that there has been no further discussion on the Public Policy Mailing List (PPML). AT further stated that it is a simple policy, and that she did not expect much in the way of further input. There is no change at this time.
7. Draft Policy ARIN-2020-8: Clarify and Update 18.104.22.168 Annual Renewal Fee
JP stated that the revised text triggered discussions on the PPML, which indicates general agreement, and the staff and legal review has been requested.
8. Draft Policy ARIN-2020-9: Editorial Clean-up of NRPM Section 4 and Related Provisions
AW stated that the original edits submitted by author have been corrected and sent back to the author. More edits were then provided and those are now complete. The edits will be sent back to the author.
9. Draft Policy ARIN 2020-10: Removal of Requirement to Demonstrate Utilization of Reassignments and Reallocations for ISPs Seeking Initial Allocation from ARIN
AP stated that she plans to continue to solicit feedback on the PPML, and then evaluate the feedback to determine which way to progress. The policy needs to be presented at the next PPM for more feedback.
10. Draft Policy ARIN 2020-11: Replace the Image in Section 2 with a Textual Description
AD suggested that the text be added and that the graphic remain. Feedback from staff noted no suggested changes to the text. The AC was in agreement with AD’s suggestion. AD stated that he will update the policy and send it to PPML for feedback. He intends on moving the policy to editorial change status at next AC meeting.
11. ARIN AC Working Groups
NRPM Clean-up WG Update. JP updated the AC that the WG is working to reconcile edits on ARIN-2020-9 with the policy shepherds. ASN Clarifications to Sections 2, 8 and 10, which was the Section 8 proposal, was submitted as a new proposal: ARIN-Prop-296. He noted that additional Section 6 work is still under discussion in the WG. JP added that the WG is starting to itemize additional needed definitions for Section 2. He concluded that some work items (language consistency, duplication, etc.) have been held until after the outcome of 2020-9, as that will be a significant edit, and the WG does not want to overlook any items.
ARIN Policy Development Process (PDP) Improvements WG Update. AP stated that she submitted a draft to staff for a staff and legal review. Once feedback is received, the WG will make any needed revisions accordingly.
SH provided an update stating that the WG’s document revision of the PDP is undergoing thorough inter-departmental review within ARIN. ARIN is also seeking a possible third-party, non-RIR staff member for additional review to coincide with staff feedback. All comments and suggestions will be collated and submitted to the WG for their review. Further updates will be provided prior to the AC’s February 18th teleconference.
Policy Experience Report (PER) WG Update. The Chair stated that this WG is currently without a Chair and a new item was submitted earlier today. AW volunteered to be Chair but no consensus has been reached.
12. Any Other Business.
The Chair called for any other business items.
Changes in AC Member Affiliation or Employment. The Chair called for any updates.
AW provided an update that she is on the Advisory Council for INTC.
OD provided an update that his current consultant contract is coming to an end, and it is not clear if he will be continuing part-time or not.
The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 2:15 p.m. ET. CT moved to adjourn, seconded by RS. The meeting adjourned with no objections.
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 17 December 2020
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 19 November 2020
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 15 October 2020
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 17 September 2020
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 20 August 2020
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 16 July 2020
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 18 June 2020
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 21 May 2020
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 16 April 2020
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 19 March 2020
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 20 February 2020
- Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 24 January 2020