Reminder - Consultation on the Future of ARIN’s Unauthenticated IRR Closes 8 March
Posted: Monday, 01 March 2021
The community feedback provided during this consultation will help inform how we move forward. Please provide comments to email@example.com. You can subscribe to this mailing list at:
This consultation will remain open through 5:00 PM ET on Monday, 8 March.
ARIN has been engaged in a multi-year project to create and deploy a new and improved Internet Routing Registry (IRR). On 10 June 2020 (https://www.arin.net/announcements/20200610-irr/), we launched IRR-online, an authenticated and web-based service designed to make it simple for users to publish routing information via ARIN’s website. At that time, the existing IRR-email system was temporarily left in place to allow organizations to continue using email-based updates to publish routing information (in the ARIN-NONAUTH data stream).
On 1 February 2021 (https://www.arin.net/announcements/20210201-rn/), we deployed a RESTful API to provide a way to securely automate updates to objects in ARIN’s authenticated IRR service.
With the availability of automation for ARIN’s new IRR system, we intend to retire ARIN’s previous non-authenticated, email-based IRR service at the end of September 2021. We are providing advance notice of this plan so that organizations using the non-authenticated and email-based IRR will have time to switch publication of their routing registry information to a more current solution. Similarly, by establishing a firm end date for the non-authenticated and email-based IRR, organizations making use of the outdated and non-authenticated IRR data stream can be ready for when ARIN ceases publishing the ARIN-NONAUTH data stream.
The authenticated IRR is available to all ARIN resource holders that have resources covered by a signed Registration Services Agreement (RSA) or Legacy Registration Services Agreement (LRSA). Organizations with resources not currently under an RSA/LRSA that wish to use the authenticated IRR may contact ARIN’s Registration Services Department for assistance with bringing those registrations under an RSA/LRSA.
We recognize that this change will have significant impacts on our customers and, as always, we’re interested in your feedback regarding this proposed transition. In particular, we would appreciate hearing from the ARIN community regarding these aspects of the proposed transition:
- For those using ARIN’s email-based and non-authenticated IRR system, does the proposed shutdown date of 30 September 2021 provide sufficient time for migration to another IRR system?
- For those making use of the ARIN-NONAUTH data stream, is there any reason to provide this information beyond the system shutdown date?
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
- IPv4 Waiting List Distribution
- Apply Now for an ARIN Community Grant
- 2022 Mailing List AUP Committee
- ARIN 49 Meeting Report Now Available
- Registration Now Open for New “Delegated, Hybrid, and the API — Beyond Hosted RPKI at ARIN” Webinar
- New Features Added to ARIN Online
- ARIN 49 Begins Today
- 2021 Annual Report Now Available
- ARIN Non-Authenticated IRR has been Retired
- Announcing the 2022 ARIN Grant Selection Committee
- » View Archive