ARIN Board Adopts Bylaws Changes
Posted: Tuesday, 07 June 2022
ARIN is pleased to announce that the ARIN Board of Trustees adopted changes to ARIN’s Bylaws at its meeting on 16 May 2022 and in accordance with Article X, Section 6 of the ARIN Bylaws. The updated ARIN Bylaws may be viewed at ARIN Bylaws; and the specific changes may be viewed in the corresponding change log at ARIN Bylaws Change Log.
ARIN appreciates the constructive comments and discussion from the community on these items, and the substantive updates were in response to the community’s feedback. Any questions may be discussed and addressed in the ARIN general member mailing list.
The changes to the ARIN Bylaws include the following:
- Electoral Process: Replace current model, which assumes third-party nominations, to allow for self-nominations. General updates to the Nomination of Candidates language.
- Board Expansion: Expand the Board’s elected seats, over the next three years, from six (6) to nine (9) Trustees. With the President & CEO, the Board will therefore expand from seven (7) to ten (10) Trustees. Remove the ability to appoint an additional voting Board member; and clarify that conflict-of-interest provisions apply both at time of appointment and throughout the term of office. Update to the eligibility language.
- Committee Governance: List Standing Committees explicitly; remove detailed committee descriptions; add committee governance requirements.
- Term Limits: Board Trustees may serve for up to three consecutive full terms. They are then ineligible to serve again for a two-year period.
- General: Modify language to be gender neutral.
The relevant Community Consultations are as follows:
- ACSP Consultation 2021.6: Consultation on Implementing Term Limits for the ARIN Board of Trustees - https://www.arin.net/participate/community/acsp/consultations/2021/2021-6/
- ACSP Consultation 2022.2: Consultation on Elections and the Nomination Process - https://www.arin.net/participate/community/acsp/consultations/2022/2022-2/
- ACSP Consultation 2022.3: Consultation on Increasing the Size of the ARIN Board of Trustees - https://www.arin.net/participate/community/acsp/consultations/2022/2022-3/
The changes affect:
- Article V, Sections 2, 3;
- Article VI, Sections 1(b), 1(c), 1(d), 1(e), 2(b), 3, 4(a), 7, 8(a);
- Article VII, Sections 1-7, 8(b);
- Article VIII, Sections 1(b), 2, 3(b);
- Article IX, Section 6
Thank you to the ARIN community for its participation in the relevant community consultations and discussions regarding the ARIN Bylaws.
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
- Consultation on New ARIN Policy Development Process
- Change to Management of the Trust Anchor Locator (TAL) for ARIN’s RPKI Service
- Results of Consultation on Open Discussion List
- Congratulations to the 2022 ARIN Community Grant Recipients
- Congratulations to the ARIN 50 Selected Fellows
- Availability of the Legacy Fee Cap for New LRSA Entrants Ending as of 31 December 2023
- New ARIN Registration Services Agreement
- The ARIN Test of the RPKI, Announced on 5 August, Has Been Completed
- NRPM 2022.2 - New Policies Implemented
- Introducing the 2022 Slate of Candidates for ARIN Elections
- » View Archive