Consultation on Increasing the Size of the ARIN Board of Trustees
Posted: Tuesday, 01 March 2022
The Board of Trustees maintains authority over the scope, mission, and along with the President and Chief Executive Officer establishes ARIN’s strategic direction and fiscal oversight. The Board also has oversight authority of the nomination, appointment, and election of individuals to Board committees and similar roles.
Over the past two years, as part of its fiduciary duties, the ARIN Board of Trustees (“Board”) has undertaken a review of ARIN’s governance structures, including the size of the Board. As part of this effort, an independent, outside consultant was engaged to review ARIN’s governance structures and provide recommendations.
One recommendation from this governance review is to increase the size of the Board to strengthen its capacity to provide strategic and fiscal oversight of ARIN. Increasing the Board size will:
- Increase the range and depth of overlapping skills and governance experience on the Board to augment its capability. Specific areas for strengthening include cybersecurity, risk management, finance, legal, technology and strategic oversight. This will require more than 6 elected seats at the board table to provide this experience.
- Increase diversity of thought on issues impacting the community, limit the possibility of board capture, and balance the time commitment required of our community volunteers.
- Ensure sufficient board capacity to engage in more focused, efficient governance activities, including participation in these additional valuable committees (e.g. Governance, Risk & Cybersecurity, and Strategy & Foresight) to manage the work and oversight duties of the Board, and to take on work that is requested by, and important to, the community as it evolves.
The budgetary impact will not be material, as the only increased costs would be for travel costs involved in attending in-person Board meetings. The number of Board members traveling to any RIR meeting would not change.
ARIN will increase the number of elected voting seats of the Board from six to nine. The currently available appointed voting seat would be removed.
The additional Board seats would be added in a staggered format with one additional seat for election in each of the upcoming election cycles starting with the 2022 election period.
ARIN seeks community feedback on this proposed increase to the size of the Board. This consultation will remain open for 15 days.
Please provide comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can subscribe to this mailing list at: http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-consult.
Discussion on email@example.com will close on 15 March 2022.
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
- The 2023 Nomination Committee
- 2022 Annual Report Now Available
- New Features Added to ARIN Online
- Register Today for Our “Get to Know the ARIN Policy Development Process” Webinar
- Announcing the 2023 ARIN Grant Selection Committee
- Last Chance to Complete the ARIN Customer Satisfaction Survey
- ARIN Online Maintenance Scheduled for 13 May
- ARIN 51 Meeting Report Now Available
- New Policy Development Process Now Implemented
- Billing System Maintenance Scheduled for 27 April
- » View Archive