Reminder: Changes to Whois-RWS and RDAP Scheduled for 12 February 2020
Posted: Monday, 13 January 2020
As we originally announced on 15 October 2019, there will be a change made to ARIN’s Whois-RWS and RDAP services on 12 February 2020. This change may impact the way you interface programmatically with ARIN to query and retrieve information from these services.
ARIN will no longer be supporting TLS 1.0 for Whois-RWS and RDAP services. There are well-known security issues with this protocol. We will continue to support TLS 1.1 and 1.2. Please make sure your client implementation will support TLS 1.1 or 1.2. Read https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate/ for further details.
Because these changes will be implemented in about 30 days, we recommend that you review your clients that interface with the Whois-RWS and RDAP services, and make any required configuration or code changes in advance of this change. Both TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 are available now. We encourage you to make these changes so you will have no operational impact when we disable the vulnerable transport protocols.
So that you can plan your upgrades accordingly, we would also like to inform you of future planned events for this service. We will be adding TLS 1.3 support to Whois-RWS and RDAP in the near future. We also anticipate announcing end-of-service support for TLS 1.1, with another corresponding 120-day warning notice.
Chief Technology Officer
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
- ARIN Announces Fellowship Program Modification for 2020
- ARIN 45 Virtual Meeting Postponed Until June
- ARIN Beginning Live Chat Trial on 6 April
- NRPM 2020.1 - New Policies Implemented
- New Features Added to ARIN Online
- ARIN 45 Moving to Virtual Meeting Format
- ARIN Chantilly Office – Increased COVID-19 Response Status
- Seeking Volunteer for ARIN Mailing List AUP Committee
- Apply Now for an ARIN Community Grant
- OT&E Servers Available to Test Upcoming SWIP Changes
- » View Archive