Consultation on Revision to the Policy Development Process
Posted: Tuesday, 29 May 2012
We are consulting with the community in regards to a revised Policy Development Process (PDP) for Internet number resource policy development in the ARIN region. Significant changes in this revision of the PDP include:
- Improved definition of the scope of the PDP process
- Clarified principles for good number resource policy, i.e. it is fair/impartial, technically sound, and has the support of the community
- Clarified Board criteria for ratification of developed policies
- Added a role for the ARIN Advisory Council (AC) to perform an initial review of each new policy proposal to confirm that it is clear and in scope of the PDP
- Changed the process so all clear, in-scope policy proposals become draft policies upon successful initial review
- Added requirement for the AC to provide a full explanation of any policy action taken
- One petition per policy action; if successful, petitioners mutually select the presenter of the draft policy at Public Policy Meetings
There are three parts to the document: Part One is the goals of the PDP, Part Two is the PDP itself, and Part Three is the PDP Petition Process. The initial consultation posting, including a link to the text of the revised Policy Development Process and a flowchart are available at:
Please provide comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can subscribe to this mailing list at:
Discussion on email@example.com will close on 28 June 2012 (30 days). ARIN seeks clear direction through community input, so your feedback is important. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Communications and Member Services
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
These are archives of announcements, and have generally not been updated since they were published. As a result, some content, specifically links to other pages and other references may be out-of-date or no longer available.