Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes - 12 September 2014 [Archived]


Here in the Vault, information is published in its final form and then not changed or updated. As a result, some content, specifically links to other pages and other references, may be out-of-date or no longer available.



  • Vint Cerf, Chair

  • Paul Andersen,Treasurer/ Vice Chair

  • John Curran, President & CEO

  • Timothy Denton, Secretary

  • Aaron Hughes, Trustee

  • Bill Sandiford, Trustee

  • Bill Woodcock, Trustee

Note Taker:

  • Thérèse Colosi

ARIN Staff:

  • Nate Davis, COO
  • Einar Bohlin, WebEx Coordinator


  • Stephen Ryan, Esq

1. Welcome & Agenda Review

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:03 p.m. EDT. The presence of quorum was noted. The Chair acknowledged that Mr. Denton would be delayed. The Chair reviewed the Agenda with the Board and called for any comments. There were no comments.

2. Approval of the Minutes

It was moved by John Curran, and seconded by Aaron Hughes, that:

“The ARIN Board of Trustees approves the Minutes of 21 August 2014, as written.”

The Chair called for any objections.

The motion carried with no objections.

The President stated that two initiatives have arisen from the IGF within the last few weeks:

a. IGF Support Association (IGFSA) -

The President stated that this was an ISOC-led initiative to provide an additional funding vehicle for the IGF and IGF-related activities such as regional IGFs and fellowships for participation. The organization is in its initial stages.

The Chair stated that American companies, should they wish to contribute, might decide to do so through ITU-TIES vehicle in addition to or separately from IGFSA.

The Chair entered executive session at 4:13 p.m. EDT. The Chair resumed the meeting at 4:21 p.m. EDT. The President will continue to monitor IGFSA developments and report back to the ARIN Board as appropriate.

b. Ongoing Mandate - (http://h

The President stated that an effort is underway in parts of the community to send a letter seeking to amend the IGF mandate to make it ‘on-going’ rather than an additional 5-year mandate, as has been done in the past. The President asked the Board if they believed ARIN should take a position on the matter. The Chair stated that he was in favor of an on-going mandate, because the ability to shut things off remains while we avoid a crisis every 5 years whereby the mandate must be renewed.

The President stated that the list of organizations that currently endorse the effort did not include the other RIRs. He suggested that if the Board desired ARIN to pursue this, it could be discussed with the community at ARIN 34, or brought to the Number Resource Organization (NRO) for RIR support. The Chair stated it was worth asking the other RIRs about it.

The President further suggested asking the community using the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process (ACSP). It was the sense of Board to follow this suggestion. The President would prepare a draft for the Board’s review. Tim Denton joined at this time (4:22 pm EDT).

4. IANA Stewardship Transition Planning Process

The President updated the Board on the process explaining that a community-wide proposal needed to be in place to present to the NTIA by the beginning of summer 2015. There is a thirty-person IANA Stewardship Coordination Group (ICG) to help coordinate preparation of the proposal, with Paul Wilson from APNIC and Adiel Akplogan from AFRINIC representing the RIRs and Hartmut Glaser representing the ASO. The ICG will receive submissions from different groups within the Internet industry to consolidate into one integrated proposal. APNIC has already begun by providing a straw-man position for discussion at the APNIC 38 meeting. They also have a dedicated mailing list for community input.

The President stated that ARIN needs a process and suggested a community discussion at ARIN 34, including designating a regional ARIN mailing list for this purpose – using either an existing mailing list such as PPML, or creating a new for this purpose; the community will be asked which they would prefer at the ARIN 34 meeting.

The Chair pointed out the complexity of this matter that all proposals from the five RIRs, IANA within ICANN, and IETF need to match up properly. The President stated that the ccNSO and the gNSO might also be providing input into the process. The ICG will need to highlight any mismatches and recirculate it to the community for consideration. It is crucial for all of the communities to work together otherwise there will not be a plan for the NTIA.

5. Strategic Plan Finalization and Publication

The President stated the Strategic Plan was updated per the discussion at the Board Strategy Workshop held in August; and, that the Board had seen this updated version, but there remained one correction regarding IPv6 outreach. The President reviewed this change with the Board. The Chair called for a motion to adopt the document.

It was moved by Paul Andersen, and seconded by John Curran, that:

“The ARIN Board of Trustees adopts the Strategic Plan, as amended.”

The motion carried with no objections.

6. General Counsel Update

Counsel had no update to provide at this time.

7. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business. There were no comments.

8. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:42 p.m. EDT. Aaron Hughes moved to adjourn. The meeting adjourned by acclamation.


Here in the Vault, information is published in its final form and then not changed or updated. As a result, some content, specifically links to other pages and other references, may be out-of-date or no longer available.