Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 16 December 2021 [Archived]


Here in the Vault, information is published in its final form and then not changed or updated. As a result, some content, specifically links to other pages and other references, may be out-of-date or no longer available.

via Teleconference


  • Leif Sawyer, Chair (LS)
  • Andrew Dul (AD)
  • Gary Giesen (GG)
  • Kat Hunter, Vice Chair (KH)
  • Anita Nikolich (AN)
  • Amy Potter (AP)
  • Joe Provo (JP)
  • Alyssa Quinn (AQ)
  • Kerrie Richards (KR)
  • Rob Seastrom (RS)
  • Chris Tacit (CT)
  • Alicia Trotman (AT)
  • Matthew Wilder (MW)
  • Alison Wood (AW)

ARIN Staff:

  • Michael Abejuela, (MA) General Counsel
  • Jenny Fulmer, (JF) Staff Attorney
  • Sean Hopkins, (SH) Senior Policy Analyst
  • Richard Jimmerson, (COO), Chief Operating Officer
  • Lisa Liedel, (LL) Director, Registration Services
  • Thérèse Simcox, Sr. Executive Assistant, Scribe
  • John Sweeting, (CCO) Chief Customer Officer


  • Brian Jones, 2022 AC Member-Elect
  • Chris Woodfield, 2022 AC Member-Elect

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:05 p.m. ET. The presence of a quorum was noted. The Chair welcomed the 2022 Member Elect observers to the call.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair reviewed the agenda with the Council and called for any comments. There were no comments.

3. Approval of the Minutes

(Exhibit A)

Deferred to the AC’s next meeting.

4. Draft Policy ARIN-2020-6: Allowance for IPv4 Allocation “Swap” Transactions via 8.3 Specified Transfers and 8.4 Inter-RIR Transfers.

RS stated that the staff and legal review has been received and he will post the information on the Public Policy Meeting List (PPML) to see if there is community support. He and AP have residual concerns on the potential of flipping with the once- per-org mechanism. He asked if anyone has any further feedback to please reach out to RS and AP early next week, prior to them sending it to the PPML.

KR stated that they discussed a grammatical issue on the use of parentheses with staff. MW stated he, KR, and SH reviewed this item; and in light of the existing text in the Number Resource Policy Manual (NRPM) with regard to the use of parentheses, he and KR believe the use in this policy is in line with existing use of parentheses in the NRPM and no changes are necessary.

It was moved by KR, and seconded by RS, that:

“The ARIN Advisory Council advances ‘Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2021-2: Special Use IPv4 Space Out of Scope for Purposes of Determining Waitlist Eligibility’ to Last Call.”

The Chair called for discussion. There were no comments.

The motion carried with all in favor, via roll call vote.

The Chair requested KR post the language to move it forward.

6. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-3: Private AS Number and Unique Routing Policy Clarifications.

CT stated that he and JP updated language after a discussion on making it as clear as possible and being responsive to the initial concern that led to the policy. A typographical error was discovered on the PPML and it will be corrected. He noted that further discussion was generated on how feedback ought to be given but there were no further comments on PPML about this policy. CT stated he and JP will wait one more week to see if there is further feedback on the policy and then request a staff and legal review. The Chair asked if CT will be fostering discussion on the PPML. CT stated it was done by SH, and after the correction is made, SH will do so again when he posts the revision. The Chair acknowledged.

7. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-4: Clarifications to Sections 8.3, 8.4 and 8.5.6.

AD stated that that AQ posted an update to the PPML, but no comments have been received as of yet. They will continue to monitor the PPML for community feedback.

8. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-5: Update ISP and End User References For 2022 Fee Schedule.

JP stated that the staff and legal resulted in no concerns and there were no further comments on the PPML.

It was moved by JP, and seconded by GG, that:

“The ARIN Advisory Council accepts Draft Policy ARIN-2021-5: Update ISP and End User References For 2022 Fee Schedule as an editorial change.”

The Chair called for discussion. The Chair asked if the staff and legal review contained the question of whether this policy could be moved to editorial status and if there are any issues. SH stated that there was nothing specific about making this policy an editorial change, but the review noted it as a no-op. When it becomes an editorial change, another staff and legal review will be requested and that status will be addressed.

The motion carried with all in favor, via roll call vote.

9. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Remove Circuit Requirement.

AD stated that he met with MW to discuss the full update to the draft, including the title, to bring the text in line with original intent of author and descope the change to v4 only. They intend to publish it after the first of the new year in time for discussion on the PPML and for further discussion by the AC at their in-person meeting in January.

10. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-7: Make Abuse Contact Useful.

AP stated that she revised the text to add the abuse URL option but retained the Point of Contact (POC) to be mandatory. She posted it to the PPML for feedback not long ago. She believed this was the option the community agreed upon and looked forward to the feedback.

11. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-8: Deprecation of the ‘Autonomous System Originations’ field.

AT stated that it’s been reworded after speaking with the author. She noted that more edits will be made, and she will post the text to the PPML to start what she believes will be a robust discussion on the wording.

SH clarified that the revision to 2021-8 was pushed to the PPML earlier today, and that the text for 2021-7 text will be posted after this meeting. The Chair thanked him for the clarification.

12. 12. ARIN-prop-305: Editorial Clean-up of NRPM Section 2

AW stated that she was prepared to move this proposal to draft policy status, however emails from KH and AN indicated that it needs further discussion with the author and that there was an issue with renumbering the NRPM from comments on the PPML on whether to retire section numbers with the text or keep it. Also, some parts of this proposal are not editorial so they want to discuss with the NRPM WG to clarify what is and what is not editorial.

The President stated it has been ARIN’s practice to retire sections and numbers and not to renumber, so as to not ‘re-point’ to the wrong section. Normally we would not renumber sections. AW thanked him for his guidance.

RS agreed with the President stating it is a bad idea to renumber sections and noted it had been done in the past. It was regretful as 8.3 meant two things over the course of the NRPM. RS stated he would rather not see renumbering done.

AW replied that in that case, she would prefer to keep the text in proposal status until she can perform some editorial work on it and then move it to draft at a later date.

The Chair agreed.

13. ARIN-prop-306: MDN Clarification for Qualification

The Chair informed the AC that this is a new proposal assigned to the two new AC members elected for 2022, but they will not be working on it until the first of the new year. He asked if the two new members had any concerns. No concerns were expressed.

14. ARIN AC Working Groups

  • Number Resource Policy Manual Working Group (NRPM WG) Update. JP stated that the renumbering issue had been raised, and it was good to hear the strong sentiment expressed, however he requested it be put in the ARIN policy style guide. The Chair agreed and was in favor of it. JP stated that the WG’s other work is in progress. AW stated with regard to renumbering, that if staff posts to the PPML, to please not do so regarding the renumbering since it has already been posted. SH acknowledged.

    The Chair thanked JP for his hard work on NRPM revisions. JP stated that CT should receive all of the credit. The Chair acknowledged CT’s work.

  • Policy Development Process Working Group (PDP WG) Update. AP stated that the staff and legal review has been completed for the Draft PDP that was submitted. The President stated that he needs to conduct a final review of it, which will be done this week. AP and the Chair thanked the President. The Chair thanked AP for all of the work she performed on getting the PDP to this point.

  • Policy Experience Report Working Group (PER WG) Update. AW stated that the PER WG is caught up and they submitted a proposal a couple of weeks ago which the new AC members will work on, per the Chair’s earlier announcement. The Chair thanked them for all of their work.

15. Any Other Business

  • Changes in AC Member Affiliation or Employment. There were no changes reported.

  • AC Face-to-Face January 2022 Meeting. The AC and staff discussed the pandemic with regard to travel to San Diego in January for the AC’s in-person meeting. It was determined most of the AC would like to travel to the meeting barring country and health regulations that may arise. The President noted that, per Board guidance with regard to their own in-person meeting in January, he would be crafting a proposal for putting safety measures in place in addition to the public health measures of the locale (such as antigen testing). He noted that ARIN does not have staff trained in health matters, and these measures are intended to be an added level of comfort for Board members. He stated that the AC is welcome to follow these measures once the Board has reviewed them, noting that the Board may make that decision for the AC as well.

    General Counsel made it clear that these are not measures to compel or convince any AC member to attend in-person, nor is staff encouraging the AC to do so. Regardless of the measures put in place, travel involves risk of exposure to various people such as those on flights, hotel staff, taxi drivers, those eating in a restaurant, etc. Counsel emphasized that the AC should make their own decision and that ARIN fully supports, and makes available, a hybrid meeting. No one should feel compelled to go in-person if they are not comfortable doing so.

    The President stated he would share the Board’s decision with the AC once known. The Chair thanked the President and Counsel for their support and guidance.

  • AC Chair Election. The Chair reminded the AC that nominations for the AC Chair for 2022 will open on January 3, 2022, at 1:00 p.m. Eastern, and close on January 5, 2022, at 1:00 p.m. Eastern. Voting will commence on January 6, 2022, at 1:00 p.m. Eastern. The winner will be announced on January 9, 2022.

  • RIR Meeting Attendance Lottery. The Chair asked SH to send the list of RIR meetings for 2022 to the AC. He requested that the AC then send 3-5 choices for meetings they would like to attend to him and the Vice Chair, KH, by December 31, 2021.

  • The Holidays. The Chair noted that currently there are no new assignments, but to please let him and KH know if you will be unavailable for assigning anything that may be received.

  • Farewell to Out-Going AC Member – Gary Giesen. The Chair thanked GG for all of his hard work while serving on the Advisory Council this year and that it was a pleasure working with him as part of the AC. The Chair hoped he would see him run for the AC during elections next year, and to please stay in touch and stay involved on the PPML.

    The AC expressed their gratitude to GG for all of his work. GG stated it was nice servicing on the AC with everyone and who knows what the future holds.

15. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 5:15 p.m. ET. GG moved to adjourn, seconded by CT. The meeting adjourned with no objections.


Here in the Vault, information is published in its final form and then not changed or updated. As a result, some content, specifically links to other pages and other references, may be out-of-date or no longer available.