Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 18 November 2021 [Archived]


Here in the Vault, information is published in its final form and then not changed or updated. As a result, some content, specifically links to other pages and other references, may be out-of-date or no longer available.

via Teleconference


  • Leif Sawyer, Chair (LS)
  • Andrew Dul (AD)
  • Gary Giesen (GG)
  • Kat Hunter, Vice Chair (KH)
  • Anita Nikolich (AN)
  • Amy Potter (AP)
  • Joe Provo (JP)
  • Alyssa Quinn (AQ)
  • Kerrie Richards (KR)
  • Rob Seastrom (RS)
  • Chris Tacit (CT)
  • Alicia Trotman (AT)
  • Matthew Wilder (MW)
  • Alison Wood (AW)

ARIN Staff:

  • Michael Abejuela, (MA) General Counsel
  • Jenny Fulmer, (JF) Staff Attorney
  • Sean Hopkins, (SH) Senior Policy Analyst
  • Richard Jimmerson, (COO), Chief Operating Officer
  • Lisa Liedel, (LL) Director, Registration Services
  • Thérèse Simcox, Sr. Executive Assistant, Scribe
  • John Sweeting, (CCO) Chief Customer Officer

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:02 p.m. ET. The presence of a quorum was noted. He congratulated the re-elected AC members and looked forward to working with them in 2022.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair reviewed the agenda with the Council and called for any comments. CT asked the Number Resource Policy Manual (“NRPM”) Working Group (“WG”) folks to stay on the call after the meeting to discuss an item. There were no objections.

3. Approval of the Minutes

(Exhibit A)

It was moved by CT, and seconded by KH, that:

“The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 21 October 2021, as written.”

The Chair called for discussion. There were no comments.

The motion carried with no objections.

4. Draft Policy ARIN-2020-6: Allowance for IPv4 Allocation “Swap” Transactions via 8.3 Specified Transfers and 8.4 Inter-RIR Transfers.

AP stated that support was expressed at the ARIN 48 meeting with no opposition. AP made a motion to move the policy to recommended draft status; however, the Chair noted that the last staff and legal review is 17 months old and a refreshed review would be beneficial for the community. RS, lead policy shepherd, supported this suggestion. AP agreed and withdrew the motion. She requested a staff and legal review. The Chair stated he would send the request to staff.

KR stated that she and MW discussed moving this policy to last call but wanted to consider David Farmer’s suggestion for slight grammatical edits and punctuation with regard to the use of parenthesis in the text. MW noted that the NRPM has many instances of the usage of parenthesis to clarify the meaning of text and believed this is being done in this policy. He stated it would be suitable to review this with staff to ensure consistency and welcomed staff input. KR stated this review will be done over next three weeks and intended the policy be moved to last call at the AC’s meeting in December. The Chair suggested that any comments be made via the AC’s mailing list.

6. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-3: Private AS Number and Unique Routing Policy Clarifications.

CT stated that feedback has been received from the PPML and the ARIN 48 meeting. He and JP will update the policy text based on the feedback. CT requested comments and review from AC members and would then seek further feedback from the PPML before requesting a staff and legal review.

It was noted that AD had sent an email to the AC with his comments on the policy text, and he reviewed them with the AC. He believed that the proposed update to the first section is operationally incorrect. AD asked about what clarity was being resolved with changing this first section as he believed that the first section is quite clear. In the second part, he did not believe defining ‘unique routing policy’ is being accomplished and suggested a revision. Lastly, in the third part, he also suggested a revision to the language on ASNs.

CT asked for any further comments. JP stated that in amending the reference in the second part into the definitions, there was concern that the previous language was proscriptive. They were trying to keep the language non-proscriptive and will work on it further. The policy shepherds will continue to work on the text given the provided feedback and will reach out to AD to address his concerns.

The Chair stated that the AC can provide feedback via their mailing list

7. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-4: Clarifications to Sections 8.3, 8.4 and 8.5.6.

AQ stated that there was discussion on the PPML regarding generic term number resources rather than plain language or language defined in Section 2. She stated she will discuss this with AD, co-policy shepherd. She stated that the AC’s comments are also welcome via their mailing list.

8. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-5: Update ISP and End User References For 2022 Fee Schedule.

JP stated that there were no significant comments received on the PPML. At ARIN 48, there was some feedback but it was not actionable to the presentation provided. The policy shepherds requested moving the draft policy to an editorial change status as it will be moot with the ARIN fee harmonization. JP stated the policy appears purely editorial. He noted that either way, a staff and legal review will be requested.

The Chair advised that since the staff and legal review is required, to please request one with an eye toward making it an editorial change. If the review comes back amenable, then the draft policy can be moved to editorial change status at the AC’s next meeting. JP requested a staff and legal review. The Chair stated he would send the request to staff.

9. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Remove Circuit Requirement.

AD stated the policy shepherds are working on a revision to be presented at the AC’s face-to-face meeting in January to discuss the full text at that time. He and MW will be working on it the next month. The Chair thanked them and acknowledged the amount of work that has been done thus far.

10. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-7: Make Abuse Contact Useful.

AP stated that this policy text was posted to the PPML and feedback was received. She stated the text removes the mandatory abuse point of contact (POC) and adds a field for a mandatory abuse reporting URL. The feedback received was widely opposed with suggestions provided that are deemed out of scope. She noted that some suggestions were within the scope of what is being done. The inclination is to provide draft text that retains the mandatory use POC with an option for an abuse reporting URL. She noted some feedback on the PPML indicated that it should be reversed. She asked the AC for their feedback.

It was noted by the President that when reviewing policy proposals, the AC should be discussing the impact on the industry or portions of the industry rather than effect on individual organizations. Discussion ensued with the sense being that reversing the fields with a mandatory URL and the option of having a POC may cause folks confusion, in addition to a URL not being technically machine-processable. It was believed that most folks will use an email contact and/or what they use will depend on the size of the organization.

The Chair asked AP if she received sufficient feedback to proceed. AP stated she had and thanked the AC for the comments.

11. ARIN-prop-304: Deprecation of the ‘Autonomous System Originations’ field.

AT stated that the policy shepherds spoke with the author; and the statement is in scope, fair, and technically sound. There were suggestions to make it less wordy, implement it one year after ratification (if ratified), and have the removal of the OriginAS field done before the removal of the non-auth.

It was moved by AT, and seconded by AN, that:

“The ARIN Advisory Council accepts ‘ARIN-prop-304: Deprecation of the Autonomous System Originations field’ as a Draft Policy.”

The Chair called for discussion. There were no further comments.

The motion carried unanimously, via roll call vote.

12. ARIN AC Working Groups

  • Number Resource Policy Manual Working Group (NRPM WG) Update. JP stated that good progress has been made on the Section 2 definitions update and it is currently in proposal stage. They expect to submit it within a month.

  • Policy Development Process Working Group (PDP WG) Update. AP stated that the draft is under staff and legal review. When that is received, the PDP draft will go back out to the community for comments. SH stated that the review is currently in legal process now and will be done shortly.

  • Policy Experience Report Working Group (PER WG) Update. AW stated that the report was received from LL. It indicates that there is no multiple-discreet network transfer policy and the WG is considering if a policy is required.

13. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business.

  • Changes in AC Member Affiliation or Employment. The Chair called for any changes. There were no changes reported.

  • RIPE 83 Meeting. The Chair reminded the Council that RIPE 83 begins on 22 November and to please remember to register.

  • AC Policy Status Reports. The Chair noted that status updates were due on Wednesday, and some did not make the deadline. He reminded the Council to update their status reports in a timely manner in order for the whole Council and staff to update records.

  • Holiday Leave. The Chair reminded the Council to let everyone know if any members are taking extended time off over the holidays for the purpose of handling the AC’s workload.

  • AC Chair Election. The Chair explained that, per the AC’s Chair election procedure, the call for nominees begins on the first business day of the next calendar year at 1:00 p.m. ET. If any AC members are interested in running for the position of AC Chair, they can nominate themselves or someone else. He noted that staff will send a poll to vote if there is more than one nominee; and, if there is only one nominee, they will be deemed the AC Chair. The Chair stated that if any members are interested in running, to send him and the Vice Chair an email to discuss it with them after the AC’s December meeting.

14. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:44 p.m. ET. JP moved to adjourn, seconded by CT. The meeting adjourned with no objections.


Here in the Vault, information is published in its final form and then not changed or updated. As a result, some content, specifically links to other pages and other references, may be out-of-date or no longer available.