Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 21 December 2017 [Archived]


Here in the Vault, information is published in its final form and then not changed or updated. As a result, some content, specifically links to other pages and other references, may be out-of-date or no longer available.


Advisory Council Attendees:

  • Dan Alexander, Chair (DA)
  • Tina Morris, Vice Chair (TM)
  • Owen DeLong (OD)
  • David Farmer (DF)
  • David Huberman (DH)
  • Alyssa Moore (AM)
  • Amy Potter (AP)
  • Joe Provo (JP)
  • Kerrie-Ann Richards (KR)
  • Leif Sawyer (LS)
  • Rob Seastrom (RS)
  • John Springer (JS)
  • Chris Tacit (CT)
  • Alison Wood (AW)
  • Chris Woodfield (CW)


  • Therese Simcox

ARIN Staff:

  • Michael Abejuela (MA), Assoc. General Counsel
  • John Curran, President & CEO
  • Nate Davis (ND), COO
  • Sean Hopkins (SHo), Policy Analyst
  • John Sweeting (JSw), Senior Director, Registration Services

ARIN General Counsel:

  • Stephen M. Ryan, Esq.


  • Alicia Trotman - 2018 AC Member-Elect

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:03 p.m. EST. The presence of a quorum was noted. The Chair welcomed new AC member Kerrie-Ann Richards, and AC member-elect Alicia Trotman to the call.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair reviewed the agenda with the Council and called for any comments. There were no comments.

3. Approval of the Minutes

It was moved by CT, and seconded by RS, that:

“The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 16 November 2017, as written.”

The Chair called for comments or objections. There were no comments.

The motion carried with no objections.

JP joined at this time (4:07 pm EST).

4. Informational Items

The Chair presented the following as informational items to the AC.

  • Ratification of Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Improved IPv6 Registration Requirements. At their meeting on 14 December, the ARIN Board of Trustees adopted Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5, per the AC’s recommendation.
  • AC Vacant Seat Filled. The AC filled the vacant seat left by David Huberman’s resignation, via e-mail on 21 November 2017. Kerrie-Ann Richards fills the seat, as the next consecutive runner-up in the ARIN’s election process.
  • The Chair noted that Alicia Trotman will become an active AC member on January 1, 2018, filling Dan Alexander’s vacant seat on the Advisory Council.

5. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-3: Update to NRPM 3.6: Annual Whois POC Validation

AP stated the text was posted to Public Policy Mailing List (PPML). There were no comments received. She requested a staff and legal review at this time, and the Chair asked staff to do so.

6. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-4: Remove Bi-directional Requirement for Inter-RIR Transfers

RS stated that the staff and legal was received. He stated that Counsel had a problem with the language in the problem statement; therefore, RS revised the text. He asked the AC for comments before he posted it to the PPML. He read the problem statement to the AC and asked the AC for any comments via email. He stated he would re-request a staff and legal review, if needed. Counsel stated that he did not need to re-review it, and appreciated RS’s patience with the edits.

The President noted the term “potentially gratuitous” in the problem statement. He stated that if the requirement is dropped, and the policy text changes so that the transfer is not required to be reciprocal, it is possible the transfers inbound to ARIN would not be allowed by other RIRs policy changes in the future. Gratuitous means unnecessary – is the problem statement that ARIN’s reciprocal requirement is preventing useful transfers out of the region to those in regions that need the resources? RS stated he should make it clearer. RS noted that two RIRs do not have a 2-way transfer policy.

The President stated that if you make the change, you may lose the reciprocal nature of the terms. “Gratuitous” connotes non-operative, and he did not believe it was non-operative language. It is “in the way” of the regions that do not have a reciprocal policy and thus operative. The President stated that he was fine with RS posting the language to the PPML, noting it was much improved over the previous text. The President noted that some readers might not understand if they did not have the full background of the text. RS stated that he was fine with entertaining alternative language.

OD stated that, for the moment, “gratuitous” is the change to the policy itself, as the two RIRs have no policy whatsoever on bi-directional transfers. He did not believe it a useful policy until there is an RIR with a 1-way policy. He noted there is currently no sign of either of the two RIRs having a 1-way policy.

The Chair asked RS if he would be posting the text to PPML, or further revising the problem statement from comments made in this discussion. RS stated that he will further revise the problem statement if comments from the AC are received via email.

7. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-8: Amend the Definition of Community Network

DF stated that he sent out text for feedback to the AC. If no input is received, he will post the text to the PPML by mid-next week.

The Chair reminded the AC to ensure staff had a copy of any changes to text, in order for staff to update the AC Wiki.

8. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-9: Clarification of Initial Block Size for IPv4 ISP Transfers

DF stated that there were no changes. It is on the PPML, with not much discussion going on. He will check the PPML after the holidays.

9. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-10: Repeal of Immediate Need for IPv4 Address Space

AD stated that there were a few comments the AC’s list to the positive, and can be discussed at the AC face-to-face meeting in January. A staff and legal review will be requested in January.

10. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-11: Reallocation and Reassignment Language Clean-up

AM received comments on whether it conflicted with 2017-5, and noted that it does not. She requested the AC’s feedback on it as-written. The Chair asked that if it turned out that the sense of the AC was that the text was editorial in nature, she will request it be processed as such. AM stated yes, she would.

11. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-12: Require New POC Validation Upon Reassignment

CT stated that there was active discussion on the proposal in November on the PPML. A number of people liked it, some suggested that improvements should be made, but nothing was suggested. He noted one statement of opposition. After clarification, the person was asked if they disagreed. There was no answer. CT stated that he intends to look at it again in January, noting so far there was overall support.

OD stated that he was fine with the text as written, and that he would like to see a staff and legal review request in January to move it forward to Recommended Draft Policy status for the ARIN 41 meeting in April. The Chair stated that sounded reasonable.

12. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-13: Remove ARIN Review Requirements for Large IPv4 Reassignments/Reallocations

JS stated that he would like to request a staff and legal review. He noted that the problem statement is clear and uncontroversial. There has been some support on PPML, and no opposition. JS stated he is looking to move the text to Recommended Draft Policy status at the January AC meeting. The Chair asked staff to initiate a staff and legal review.

13. Any Other Business

LS stated he needed to leave the call at this time (4:26 p.m. EST).

The President and RS stated they had an item to add.

Review Upcoming AC Chair Election and AC’s January F2F Meeting 2018

The Chair stated that he was reviewing this procedure for the new members on the call. He noted that an AC Chair election was upcoming, and if only one AC member is nominated, then that person would become the Chair. If there is more than one nominee, then an election will take place. He reviewed the timeframe with the AC. The new Chair would be chosen by Monday, 08 January 2018.

The Chair then stated that the AC’s face-to-face meeting will take place on 26 January 2018, in Seattle.

Farewell to Dan Alexander.

The President noted this was the last teleconference of the AC for the year, and he wished to recognize Dan for his outstanding service to the AC. By acclamation, the Advisory Council thanked Dan for his many years of outstanding service and wished him the best on his new position on the ARIN Board. DA responded stating that he enjoyed his time on the AC, that they are an awesome group to work with, and made his job easy. He thanked the Council.


RS stated that he had since updated the problem statement for ARIN-2017-4 on the AC’s Wiki, and asked the AC to review it.

14. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:31 p.m. EST. OD moved to adjourn, seconded by JS. The meeting adjourned with no objections.


Here in the Vault, information is published in its final form and then not changed or updated. As a result, some content, specifically links to other pages and other references, may be out-of-date or no longer available.