Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 16 June 2022

Teleconference

Draft Minutes

These minutes are DRAFT. They have been reviewed by the ARIN Advisory Council prior to posting. These minutes will remain draft until they are reviewed and approved by the ARIN Advisory Council at their next regularly scheduled meeting.

Attendees:

  • Leif Sawyer, Chair (LS)
  • Kat Hunter, Vice Chair (KH)
  • Andrew Dul (AD)
  • Brian Jones (BJ)
  • Anita Nikolich (AN)
  • Amy Potter (AP)
  • Joe Provo (JP)
  • Rob Seastrom (RS)
  • Chris Tacit (CT)
  • Alicia Trotman (AT)
  • Matthew Wilder (MW)
  • Chris Woodfield (CW)

ARIN Staff:

  • Michael Abejuela, (MA) General Counsel
  • John Curran, (JC) President and CEO
  • Sean Hopkins, (SH) Senior Policy Analyst
  • Lisa Liedel, (LL) Director, Registration Services
  • Therese Simcox, Scribe, Senior Executive Assistant
  • John Sweeting, (CCO) Chief Customer Officer

Regrets

  • Alyssa Quinn
  • Kerrie Richards
  • Alison Wood

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:04 p.m. ET. The presence of a quorum was noted, with the Chair acknowledging regrets received.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair reviewed the agenda with the Council and called for any comments. He noted that new proposals recently received will be reviewed under Any Other Business.

3. Approval of the Minutes

(Exhibit A)

It was moved by AT and seconded by RS:

“The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 19 May 2022, as written.”

The Chair called for comments. There were no comments.

The motion carried with no objections.

RS stated that there have been no changes to the policy.

5. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilization for Future Allocations

AD stated that he received input from the original author and is considering possibly rewriting the problem statement.

6. Draft Policy ARIN 2021-7: Make Abuse Contact Useful.

AP stated that she sent a post today to the Public Policy Mailing List (PPML) to foster discussion on the new changes made. She looks forward to receiving feedback.

7. Draft Policy ARIN 2021-8: Deprecation of the ‘Autonomous System Originations’ Field.

AT stated that the staff and legal review has been received. She reviewed the highlights from the review. She noted that staff cannot determine if the policy will cause operational issues. She sent a link to the PPML for the community to look over the review; and she noted that some comments have been received. She stated she will keep monitoring the list for any further comments.

CW stated that there have been no changes to this policy. He stated that there has been no activity on the PPML, and he is eagerly awaiting to present it at ARIN 50 in October.

9. Draft Policy ARIN 2022-2: Remove Barrier to BGP Uptake in ASN Policy.

CT stated that he and KR discussed this policy and would like to request a staff and legal review at this time. The Chair acknowledged and noted the request.

10. ARIN-prop-305: Editorial Clean-up of NRPM Section 2

AN stated that there is a PDF with the changes made which are mostly editorial in nature. She noted that there are a couple of sections with which the community may take issue. The shepherds are monitoring community feedback.

CT apologized to AN stating that he had sent a note to AW, but overlooked including AN. He explained that this proposal has since been crafted into several proposals to replace this proposal. There are 6 proposals of which the NRPM WG believes three will be editorial. The WG is working on simplifying two sections in the NRPM. CT noted that all changes are in Section 2 of the NRPM.

AN acknowledged CT’s comments. She asked what the next steps were for prop-305. The Chair stated the AC would be rejecting prop-305.

JP stated, as authors, the NRPM WG should withdraw this proposal. AN agreed that was the correct way to proceed and the authors of prop-305, the NRPM WG, agreed to withdraw the proposal. CT advised that he will send a note to policy@arin.net to that effect.

11. ARIN-prop-308: Leasing not intended.

JP stated that this proposal is in scope, and they are working with the author on clarifying the problem statement. Recommendations have been received, but no updated text has been received. He stated that the proposal needs to be remanded to the authors to ensure that the problem statement is clear.

It was moved by JP and seconded by BJ:

“The ARIN Advisory Council remands ‘ARIN-prop-308: Leasing not intended’ back to the originator for clarity of the problem statement.”

The Chair called for discussion. There were no comments.

The motion carried unanimously, via roll call vote.

12. ARIN-prop-309: Remove Officer Attestation Requirement for 8.5.5.

MW stated that JP and he discussed the text, the problem statement is clear, and the proposal is in scope. It was moved by MW and seconded by JP:

“The ARIN Advisory Council accepts ‘ARIN-prop-309: Remove Officer Attestation Requirement for 8.5.5.’ as a Draft Policy.”

The Chair called for discussion. There were no comments.

The motion carried unanimously, via roll call vote.

13. ARIN AC Working Groups

  • Number Resource Policy Manual Working Group (NRPM WG) Update. JP stated that the WG’s focus has remained on prop-305 and filing new individual proposals for a set of proposed editorial changes and a set of non-editorial proposals for borderline issues. The WG also has other changes on which they are working.

  • Policy Development Process Working Group (PDP WG) Update. AP stated that the WG met last week to review feedback received and she was two-thirds of the way done in making changes in the documents and will go over them with WG. They will then circulate the text for review before the next meeting. She is hoping to have a vote on the proposed text at the next meeting.

  • Policy Experience Report Working Group (PER WG) Update. AN stated that cleanup and streamlining of Section 11 was turned into prop-316 and asked the AC to please review it. She noted it is a large section with quite a number of edits, particularly on experimental resources.

14. Any Other Business

  • Changes in Employment and Affiliation. None reported.

  • Personal Assessments. Due c.o.b. Friday 17 June. The Chair thanked those who completed the assessments. He noted that one is still outstanding.

  • PDP Re-Write. The Chair noted that comments were due last week.

  • Editorial vs. Non-editorial Changes. The Chair asked the AC to default to non-editorial when working on proposals and community input. Substantive edits should be the low bar, not the high bar.

  • New Proposals The Chair stated that there are 7 new proposals recently received as a result of prop-305 being broken down. He noted that AN and KT have been assigned the shepherds of prop -311, -313, and -315. He stated if they have comments, to please let the AC know.

    Discussion ensued regarding moving the proposals to draft policy at this time. The AC decided not to move forward in order to give everyone a chance to read the proposals given that they are so new.

    The Chair noted the other proposals of non-editorial sections. He stated that if there are comments or questions on prop-310, -312, -314 or -316, they will be assigned and brought up at the next meeting. The Chair acknowledged this is a lot of work but noted that these non-editorial proposals are fairly small and should move quickly.

15. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:31 p.m. ET. RS moved to adjourn, seconded the CW. The meeting adjourned with no objections.