Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council - 19 August 2021

via Teleconference

Draft Minutes

These minutes are DRAFT. They have been reviewed by the ARIN Advisory Council prior to posting. These minutes will remain draft until they are reviewed and approved by the ARIN Advisory Council at their next regularly scheduled meeting.

Attendees:

  • Leif Sawyer, Chair (LS)
  • Andrew Dul (AD)
  • Gary Giesen (GG)
  • Kat Hunter, Vice Chair (KH)
  • Anita Nikolich (AN)
  • Amy Potter (AP)
  • Joe Provo (JP)
  • Alyssa Quinn (AQ)
  • Kerrie Richards (KR)
  • Chris Tacit (CT)
  • Alicia Trotman (AT)
  • Matthew Wilder (MW)
  • Alison Wood (AW)

ARIN Staff:

  • Michael Abejuela, (MA) General Counsel
  • John Curran, President & CEO
  • Jenny Fulmer, (JF) Staff Counsel
  • Sean Hopkins, (SH) Senior Policy Analyst
  • Lisa Liedel, (LL) Director, Registration Services
  • Thérèse Simcox, Sr. Executive Assistant, Scribe
  • John Sweeting, (CCO) Chief Customer Officer

Regrets:

  • Rob Seastrom

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:06 p.m. ET. The presence of a quorum was noted. The Chair acknowledged regrets from RS.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair reviewed the agenda with the Council and called for any comments. He noted items for any other business. There were no comments on the agenda.

3. Approval of the Minutes

(Exhibit A)

It was moved by AW, and seconded by AT, that:

“The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 15 July 2021, as written.”

The Chair called for discussion. There were no comments.

The motion carried with no objections.

4. Draft Policy ARIN-2020-6: Allowance for IPv4 Allocation “Swap” Transactions via 8.3 Specified Transfers and 8.4 Inter-RIR Transfers

AP stated that proposed text has been written and will be posted to the Public Policy Mailing List (PPML).

5. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-2: Special Use IPv4 Space Out of Scope for Purposes of Determining Waitlist Eligibility

KR stated that further support from the PPML has been received, and the policy shepherds have requested the staff and legal review earlier this week. After receiving the review, KR stated they hope to move the policy to recommended draft policy status at the AC’s next meeting in September.

6. Editorial Change ARIN-edit-2020-9: Section 8 Editorial Clean-up

AW stated that the text is out for community review which will end on 26 August. She noted that there had been a good amount of activity and suggested edits from the PPML, and that the authors approved of them. The Chair noted that comments do look positive. AW stated that Section 8.3 and 8.4 had additional edits, along with Section 8.7. In light of this, she asked if there was a good way to present them to the community to note that they are separate edits in a way to reduce confusion. The Chair asked the AC to please send any comments or suggestions to AW via the AC’s mailing list.

7. Editorial Change ARIN-edit-2021-1: ASN Clarifications to Sections 2 and 8

AN provided a brief history of this proposal for reference to the AC. She noted that the staff and legal review had stated that some changes were editorial, and some were not. This policy contains the edits that the review deems purely editorial and that had positive responses from the PPML. She clarified that the other non-editorial changes are in a new proposal.

It was moved by AP and seconded by KT, that:

“The ARIN Advisory Council, having completed a successful policy development process for ‘Editorial Change ARIN-edit-2021-1: ASN Clarifications to Sections 2 and 8’, recommends it to the ARIN Board of Trustees for adoption.”

The Chair called for discussion. It was asked that if text has changed, does it matter if there is no further community review. SH provided the procedure from the Policy Development Process (PDP) and confirmed that this was the proper procedure. The Chair asked if the changes to the text that were removed were only non-editorial changes. GG confirmed that was correct – only non-editorial changes were dropped.

The President stated that as long as the community has seen what is being changed, and the Board and AC concur that they are editorial in nature, it is proper to move the editorial change forward. He noted that it would also be acceptable to say to the community that only the editorial changes that were already posted are being proposed. The President explained that the AC are not required to do so, but some in the community may take issue with the policy not being re-sent for review; however, as this is editorial there is little at risk.

JP stated that he would have qualms if there were additions to the policy instead of removals. AN confirmed that the sections that were chatted about on PPML were removed - not the text that is left.

GG stated that given these clarifications, he did not believe this policy needed to remain any longer than necessary on docket.

The motion carried with all in favor, via roll call vote.

8. Draft Policy ARIN-2021-3: Private AS Number and Unique Routing Policy Clarifications

CT stated that there is no change in status at this time, noting that JP and he need to speak with the author on streamlining the text.

9. ARIN-Prop-299: Clarifications to Sections 8.3, 8.4 and 8.5.6

AQ stated that she and AD received this proposal on Tuesday this week. She went over the clarifications in the proposal with the Council. She stated she and AD noticed that there appear to be issues in the text (singular versus plural references), but that it can be moved to draft policy.

It was moved by AQ, and seconded by GG, that:

“The ARIN Advisory Council accepts ‘ARIN-Prop-299: Clarifications to Sections 8.3, 8.4 and 8.5.6’, as a Draft Policy.”

The Chair called for comments. There were no comments.

The motion carried with all in favor, via roll call vote.

10. ARIN AC Working Groups

  • Number Resource Policy Manual Working Group (NRPM WG) Update. JP stated that the WG is working out their schedule as new members are now on board. Active discussion of the fee schedule change has taken place including what, if any, policy implications exist. He further stated that the definitions updates are still in the edit and discussion phase. There has not been any progress on the Section 6 update nor Section 12 cleanup. Lastly, there are 5 identified workstreams which are being held until after submitted policy proposals reach conclusion.

    The Chair thanked him and stated the newest policy proposal received will be assigned shortly.

  • Policy Development Process Working Group (PDP WG) Update. AP stated the WG has made good progress and is very close to presenting a final draft to submit. Some final details need to be made, then it should be ready to submit for approval. The Chair stated that it was great work and thanked AP and the WG.

  • Policy Experience Report Working Group (PER WG) Update. AW stated the WG is caught up and are awaiting the next PER. The Chair stated that he was happy to hear it.

11. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business.

  • ARIN Legal Staff Addition. MA introduced a new member of the legal team, Jenny Fulmer, to the AC, and stated she will be joining the AC meetings in support of the work the AC performs. He stated he will also continue to be in attendance. He stated that Jenny has done a great job since being hired in February, and was confident she would do so for the AC.

  • New Number Resource Policy Manual (NRPM) Version Released. The Chair thanked the AC for the new version of the NRPM. He additionally announced that emails requesting updates on the policies on the AC’s docket will soon be requested via the AC’s Wiki. The Vice Chair will include a link to the Wiki and the AC will use it to manage any policy work updates.

  • ARIN 48 Attendance Update. The Chair stated that ARIN 48 registration is now open. He asked the President to provide an update regarding the AC’s physical attendance versus attending virtually. The President explained that the day after the NANOG meeting will be an in-person meeting – the ARIN 48 Member Meeting. He confirmed that the ARIN 48 Member’s Meeting is a ‘go’ in person. The President stated that short of NANOG canceling their meeting, ARIN will not cancel its meeting. As they may be very lightly attended meetings, it is important for staff to know if AC members are going to attend in person. He stressed that it was everyone’s choice whether or not to attend in person, and ARIN is not requiring in-person attendance.

    It was noted that NANOG will require that anyone attending NANOG 83 be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. It was asked if the ARIN meeting session will also have the requirement. The President stated that ARIN will remind all travelers to consider their safety, but ultimately that is a personal medical matter for them to decide. The Chair thanked the President for the clarification.

  • ARIN Virtual Fellowship Program. The Chair stated that ARIN is still in need of three volunteer mentors for the program and if any AC members can spare the time, it would be greatly appreciated. The CCO confirmed this is completely virtual. He asked the AC to please slack or email SH to be added as a Fellowship Mentor.

  • ARIN 48 Policy Development Process (PDP) Milestones Review. The Chair reviewed the milestone dates for policies, text freezes, and presentations for ARIN 48 with the Council.

  • Fee Harmonization Impact on Future Policy. The President stated that on January 1, 2022, ARIN will be on a consistent fee schedule for all resource holders. For fees and services there will be no need for ARIN to distinguish end-user and ISP categories. From a policy perspective it is up to the community and the AC whether they wish to distinguish them. It is up to the AC and community to decide which policies make sense. The Chair thanked him and stated that he looked forward to seeing the fee schedule move forward and what it will bring.

  • Dispute in AFRINIC Region. The President provided an update on the issue in the AFRINIC region.

  • Changes in AC Member Affiliation or Employment. There were no changes reported.

12. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 5:01 p.m. ET. GG moved to adjourn, seconded by CT. The meeting adjourned with no objections.