Advisory Council Shepherds: Andrew Dul, Kat Hunter
ARIN Advisory Council Meetings:
- 20 June 2019
- 18 July 2019
- 15 August 2019
- 19 September 2019
- 17 October 2019
- 1 November 2019
- 19 December 2019
Current Text (20 September 2019)
The current method of populating the IPv4 wait list (184.108.40.206) via returned address space is inconsistent and makes filling subsequent requests for IPv4 unpredictable.
This change would eliminate the IPv4 waitlist while grandfathering in entities that are currently on the list.
Change “4.10. Dedicated IPv4 Block to Facilitate IPv6 Deployment” to “4.10 Dedicated IPv4 Pool to Facilitate IPv6 Deployment”
Change” When ARIN receives its last /8 IPv4 allocation from IANA, a contiguous /10 IPv4 block will be set aside and dedicated to facilitate IPv6 deployment. Allocations and assignments from this block “ to “In addition to the contiguous /10 IPv4 block set aside and dedicated to facilitate IPv6 deployment, all returns and revocations of IPv4 blocks will be added to the pool of space dedicated to the facilitation of IPv6 deployment. Allocations and assignments from this pool “
Change “This block will be subject to a minimum size allocation of /28 and a maximum size allocation of /24. ARIN should use sparse allocation when possible within that /10 block.” to “This pool will be subject to a minimum size allocation of /28 and a maximum sized allocation of /24. ARIN should use sparse allocation when possible within the pool.”
Timetable for Implementation: Immediate
Staff and Legal Review (4 October 2019)
Staff’s understanding is that if this policy proposal is adopted that ARIN would immediately freeze the waitlist and only those organizations on the waitlist at the time of adoption will be allowed to receive IPv4 address space that has been cleared for reissuance. Once the waitlist (after it is frozen) is exhausted all remaining IPv4 address space that has been cleared for reissuance will be added to a pool governed by NRPM 4.10 with changes as indicated in this proposal.
ARIN Staff Comments
This policy could be implemented as written.
Current practice is that any returned or revoked IPv4 address space is returned to the pool from which they were issued. IPv4 address space issued under NRPM 4.4 or 4.10 is returned to those pools and if the address space was issued from the free pool then it is returned to the free pool to be issued in accordance with NRPM 4.1.8.
IPv4 address space received under NRPM 4.10 Dedicated IPv4 Block to Facilitate IPv6 Deployment must be used in a manner consistent with IPv6 transition technologies and cannot be used for other purposes such as customer assignments, shared hosting services, etc.
Staff would like to point out that diverting all returned or revoked IPv4 addresses to the NRPM 4.10 pool would eliminate the waiting list and leave large amounts of IPv4 address space in a pool which is already largely untapped. The NRPM 4.10 pool was reserved in Feb 2011 and almost 9 years later only 4% (642) of the IPv4 /24 addresses have been issued. That leaves 96% (15, 742) remaining in the pool.
Diverting any returned or revoked space into the NRPM 4.10 pool would mean that ARIN would be unable to provide IPv4 address space to existing organizations and new entrants that need IPv4 address space for purposes such as customer assignments, shared hosting services, etc. The only option available would be the transfer market.
ARIN General Counsel – Legal Assessment
The policy has a clear bright line between who would receive wait list stays and benefits, which does not create any material legal issue.
Implementation of this policy would have medium resource impact. It is estimated that implementation would occur within 4 months after ratification by the ARIN Board of Trustees. The following would be needed in order to implement:
- Staff training
- Updated guidelines and internal procedures
- Significant updates to documentation on website
- Full communication plan to make the community aware of the change
- Minimal engineering effort
Proposal/Draft Policy Text Assessed: 23 July 2019 Version