Posted: Thursday, 01 June 2017
As announced on 11 May 2017, after receiving community feedback during the ARIN 37 meeting in Jamaica regarding the need for more background diversity on the ARIN Board of Trustees, the ARIN Bylaws were changed to allow for the appointment of an eighth voting Board member for a 1-year term, and this option was used after the 2016 ARIN Election.
At their meeting on 8 May 2017, the ARIN Board discussed and agreed to propose for community consultation an additional change to expand the number of elected Board members from six to nine, as this will increase opportunities for diversity in the background of Board members. While this change would require an update to the Bylaws, the update would not affect the member-protected portion of the Bylaws. However, the ARIN Board of Trustees determined it would be best to consult with the community for their input prior to the adoption of this proposed change of expanding the Board.
We are conducting this community consultation to obtain feedback on this proposed change to the size of the ARIN Board of Trustees. This consultation period will close at 5 PM EDT, 12 June 2017.
ARIN will add three more elected voting seats to the Board of Trustees, raising the current six (elected two per year) to nine (elected three per year).
- There would be no change to the appointed voting seat (it would remain available for appointment as deemed desirable by the Board)
- There would be no change to the non-elected voting seat (held by the President/CEO)
- New Board seats are to be added to the Board in a phased manner – one per year in the 2017 thru 2019 elections
- October 2017: 3 Board members will be elected for 2018;
8 Trustee board (9 if appointed seat is used)
- October 2018: 3 Board members will be elected for 2019;
Trustee board (10 if appointed seat is used)
- October 2019: 3 Board members will be elected for 2020;
10 Trustee board (11 if appointed seat is used)
Please provide comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can subscribe to this mailing list at:
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
President & CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)