Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council

Thursday, 20 December 2018


Advisory Council Attendees:

  • Tina Morris, Chair (TM)
  • Leif Sawyer, Vice Chair (LS)
  • Owen DeLong (OD)
  • Andrew Dul (AD)
  • David Farmer (DF)
  • Alyssa Moore (AM)
  • Amy Potter (AP)
  • Joe Provo (JP)
  • Kerrie Richards (KR)
  • Rob Seastrom (RS)
  • John Springer (JS)
  • Chris Tacit (CT)
  • Alicia Trotman (AT)
  • Alison Wood (AW)
  • Chris Woodfield (CW)


  • Therese Simcox

ARIN Staff:

  • Michael Abejuela (MA), Assoc. General Counsel
  • Sean Hopkins (SHo), Policy Analyst
  • Richard Jimmerson (RJ), COO
  • John Sweeting, (JSw) Sr. Director, Registration Services

ARIN General Counsel

  • Stephen Ryan, Esq.


  • Kat Hunter – 2019 AC member-elect


  • Alyssa Moore

  • Rob Seastrom


  • Owen DeLong

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:03 p.m. EST. The presence of a quorum was noted. The Chair welcomed everyone to the last meeting of the year; she also noted that RS would be delayed to the meeting.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair reviewed the Agenda with the Council and called for any comments. The Chair stated that she would add an update of adopted policies as new item 4.

3. Approval of the Minutes

It was moved by CT, and seconded by OD, that:

"The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 15 November 2018, as written."

The Chair called for discussion. There were no comments

The motion carried with no objections.

4. Policy Updates

The Chair stated that the Board adopted the following policies at their meeting on 13 December 2018: 2018-1, 2018-3, 2018-4; as well as two editorial changes to the Number Resource Policy Manual: former proposals prop-255 and prop-256.

The Chair noted that the Board's Minutes of 13 December were under Board review, but that the policies had been ratified.

5. Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2017-12: Require New POC Validation Upon Reassignment

CT stated that there has been no activity on the Public Policy Mailing List (PPML) since the last meeting. He stated that he and DF will look at the text one more time before seeking to advance the policy further. The Chair suggested trying to foster discussion once more on the PPML after the holidays. CT agreed.

6. Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2018-2: Clarification to ISP Initial Allocation and Permit Renumbering

KR stated that stated that there was no activity on this policy since the last AC teleconference. She stated she would try to foster discussion on the PPML after the holidays prior to the AC's face-to-face meeting in January. The Chair suggested she send out questions to get a discussion moving. KR agreed and stated that she would be letting Caribbean groups know about it as well. The Chair agreed.

7. ARIN-2018-5: Disallow Third-Party Organization Record Creation

AD stated that there have been positive comments on the PPML. One suggestion was to trim the text as it was lengthy, which he agreed was a good suggestion. AD noted another comment on how much of the text is operational policy versus number policy. AD stated that he hoped to discuss this with AC at their face-to-face meeting in January. The Chair stated it would be added to their workshop outline.

8. ARIN-2018-6: Clarify Reassignment Requirements in

AM stated that there has been no activity since the text was sent to the PPML. She stated she would post again to the PPML after holidays to foster more discussion.

RS joined at this time (4:08 pm EST).

9. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business items.

ARIN AC Face-to-Face Meeting

The Chair reminded the AC to provide staff with their itineraries as soon as possible. She stated that she is scheduling the use of their time efficiently, and that she was looking forward to the guest trainer on public speaking that will be at the meeting.  

ARIN Fellowship Volunteers

The Chair stated that she had asked the AC for volunteers and that six people volunteered. She thanked the AC for their participation.  The Chair stated that the Board will select the volunteers and let her know who was chosen.


LS reminded the AC to please submit any outstanding expense reports as soon as possible as the year is coming to a close.

Farewell to John Springer

It was moved by LS, and seconded by RS, that:

"The ARIN Advisory Council recognizes and sincerely thanks John Springer for his contributions and service while serving on the Council."

The motion carried by acclamation.  

The Chair wished everyone happy holidays.

10. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:10 p.m. EST. OD moved to adjourn, seconded by JS. The meeting adjourned with no objections.