Thursday, 21 June 2018
Advisory Council Attendees:
- Tina Morris, Chair (TM)
- Leif Sawyer, Vice Chair (LS)
- Andrew Dul (AD)
- David Farmer (DF)
- Alyssa Moore (AM)
- Amy Potter (AP)
- Joe Provo (JP)
- Kerrie Richards (KR)
- Rob Seastrom (RS)
- John Springer (JS)
- Chris Tacit (CT)
- Alicia Trotman (AT)
- Alison Wood (AW)
- Chris Woodfield (CW)
- Therese Simcox
- Michael Abejuela (MA), Assoc. General Counsel
- John Curran, President & CEO
- Nate Davis (ND), COO
- Sean Hopkins (SHo), Policy Analyst
- Richard Jimmerson (RJ), CIO
- John Sweeting (JSw), Senior Director, Registration Services
- Stephen M. Ryan, Esq.
- Owen DeLong
The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:05 p.m. EDT. The presence of quorum was noted. The Chair acknowledged regrets sent from Owen DeLong.
2. Agenda Review
The Chair reviewed the agenda with the Council and called for any comments. There were no comments.
3. Approval of the Minutes
It was moved by JS, and seconded by LS, that:
"The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 17 May 2018, as written."
The Chair called for comments. There were no comments.
The motion carried with no objections.
DF joined at this time (4:06 p.m. EDT).
4. Ratified Policies.
Provided as an informational item to the Council, the Chair reviewed the status of the following policies.
At their meeting on 27 May 2018, the ARIN Board of Trustees ratified the following policies recommended by the AC:
- Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2017-3: Update to NRPM 3.6: Annual Whois POC Validation.
- Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2017-8: Amend Community Networks.
- Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2017-10: Repeal of Immediate Need for IPv4 Address Space (NRPM Section 126.96.36.199).
- Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2017-13: Remove ARIN Review Requirements for Large IPv4 Reassignments/Reallocations.
At the same meeting, the Board of Trustees deferred adopting the following policy recommended by the AC until an assessment of impact on the organization could be provided:
- Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2017-12: Require New POC Validation Upon Reassignment
At the same meeting, the following editorial changes to the Number Resource Policy Manual (NRPM), recommended by the AC, have been adopted by the ARIN Board:
- Proposed Editorial Update to the NRPM formerly entitled 'ARIN-Prop-251: Correct References to RWhois'.
- Proposed Editorial Update to the NRPM formerly entitled '2017-11: Reallocation & Reassignment Language Cleanup'.
The Chair called for any comments. There were no comments.
5. Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2018-1: Allow Inter-Regional ASN Transfers
AW stated that there had been no activity on Public Policy Mailing List (PPML). She was waiting until closer to ARIN 42 to foster discussion. The Chair requested she continue to monitor PPML for feedback. AW agreed.
CW stated that he needed to leave the call due to his day job. He stated he'd be back as soon as possible (4:08 pm).
6. Draft Policy ARIN-2018-2: Clarification to ISP Initial Allocation and Permit Renumbering
KR stated that she and RS looked it over and agreed that it needed a fresh perspective from others. They posted it to the AC and proposed to post the text to the PPML for feedback from the community to determine next steps. The Chair asked KR to update the AC's Wiki and that staff will post it to the PPML. KR agreed to do so.
7. Draft Policy ARIN-2018-3: Remove Reallocation Requirements for Residential Market Assignments
JP stated that the text was posted to the PPML on April 23rd and was in review until May 21st. No negative comments have been received; and, since May 21 there have been no further posts. JP requested the Chair request a staff and legal review. The Chair agreed to do so.
8. Draft Policy ARIN-2018-4: Clarification on IPv6 Sub-Assignments
In CW's absence, RS stated that he did not have an update on this policy beyond what CW had posted with regard to the fact that he had not heard back from the author. The Chair stated that was not needed, as the text is in the hands of the AC. She stated she would follow up with RS and CW after this meeting.
9. ARIN-Prop-255: NRPM Cleanup
CT stated that due to recent Board actions, he wants to make sure there are no conflicts with this cleanup, therefore, the text will go back to the author for further editing. CT stated he would then post the revised text to the AC's list for comments.
10. Summary of Overdue Expense Reports
The Chair reviewed the summary of expense reports that are over the 60-day deadline, per the Council's Travel Policy. She urged the reticent AC members to turn them in with a note to the President requesting approval for reimbursement.
11. Any Other Business
The Chair called for any other business. LS stated he would be traveling during the AC's July teleconference and therefore will not be able to attend the call.
The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:16 p.m. EDT. LS moved to adjourn, seconded by RS. The meeting adjourned with no objections.