Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council

10 October 2000



  • Steve Corbato
  • Mark Kosters
  • Guy Middleton
  • Hilarie Orman
  • Alec Peterson
  • Jeremy Porter
  • Ron Roberts
  • Cathy Wittbrodt
  • Ray Plzak, ARIN President
  • Kim Hubbard, ARIN Consultant
  • Susan Hamlin, Notetaker
  • Absentee: Bill Darte, Tony Li, Bill Manning, Justin Newton, John Sweeting, David Whipple


Advisory Council Chairman Alec Peterson called the meeting to order at 3:10 PM EDT. The presence of a quorum was noted.

Webhosting Policy:

The one agenda item was to discuss how the AC should proceed to modify the now suspended virtual webhosting policy.

Action Item: Ray Plzak reported ARIN staff will create a mailing list within the next few days to use as a vehicle for discussion. It was agreed that an announcement of the mailing list should be posted to the ARIN website so that anyone interested could subscribe. All AC members present asked to be placed on the mailing list. Ray stated that ARIN staff would email all those meeting attendees who expressed an interest in participating in a working group to invite them to join the list.

Hilarie Orman asked about the operating procedures for the working group, specifically how a consensus would be reached. Ray pointed out that the AC's policy recommendation to the Board was that at least 8 weeks prior to the next member meeting the AC would post its policy recommendation out on a mailing list for public consideration and comment. The next ARIN meeting is scheduled for April 2001.

Action Item: Alec Peterson volunteered to put together a general framework for use of the mailing list by the working group. Hilarie added that late January would be the target date for having gathered and reviewed all input on the list.

It was agreed that this mailing list be archived and that an invitation to participate in discussions on the ARIN list be sent out on the NANOG list.

Database Mining:

A brief discussion ensued as to the AC's role in this issue following the Public Policy meetings.

Action item: Mark Kosters agree to send Ray Plzak a copy of NSI's AUP for ARIN staff to modify for ARIN purposes. This draft will be sent to the AC for comment.

There being no other business to discuss, Mark Kosters moved that the meeting adjourn at 3:40 PM. Cathy Wittbrodt seconded the motion that was unanimously approved.