ROA Requests contain the following information:
- Version Number: This must be set to 1.
- Trailing Vertical Bar: This character must follow each section of the ROA Request.
- Timestamp: This must be specified in seconds since 1 January 1970 (AKA seconds since the epoch), such as '1340135296'. ROA Name: This can be any name of your choosing, it is for your own identification purposes only. A ROA name can only contain letters, numbers, spaces and dash "-" characters. There may not be more than 256 characters to a name.
- Origin Autonomous System (AS): The number of the AS that will be authorized to announce the IP prefix(es) you specify. You are not restricted to putting in your own AS, however you can only put in one AS per ROA. If you intend to originate your prefixes from more than one AS, you will need to create a ROA for each one.
- Validity Start Date: The first date for which this ROA should be considered valid. However, the date must be within the validity date range of your CA certificate, and expressed in mm-dd-yyyy format.
- Validity End Date: The last date for which this ROA should be considered valid. However, the date must be within the validity date range of your CA certificate, and expressed in mm-dd-yyyy format.
- Prefix and Prefix Length: The prefix is the range of IP addresses authorized to be announced by the AS Number you specify. This prefix must be allocated to your organization and certified by your CA certificate. The prefix length specifies the size of that IP address range.
- You may include more than one prefix at a time within a ROA Request. If you wish to specify more than one prefix, you must provide a Prefix, Prefix Length, and Max Length field (may be blank) for each prefix.
Max Length: The Max Length field is the smallest exact prefix length announcement you will allow for this route and is optional. If it is not provided then only the exact prefix entered will be specified in the ROA.
If generating a ROA Request manually (not within your browser), you will need to put all the fields together, on one line, each field delimited by the | character.
- 1|1340135296|My First ROA|1234|05-25-2011|05-25-2012|10.0.0.0|8|16|
- 1|1340135296|My First ROA|1234|05-25-2011|05-25-2012|10.0.0.0|8|16|192.168.0.0|18||