Your IP address could not be determined at this time.

ARIN XXVII Public Policy Meeting Day 2 Notes - 12 April 2011

Table of Contents

Opening and Announcements

Speaker: John Curran, ARIN President and CEO
Transcript

John Curran opened the second day of the ARIN Public Policy Meeting by presenting the updated agenda and thanking network connectivity sponsor AT&T.
Juan Medero thanked ARIN and gave a brief presentation about AT&T, the network connectivity sponsor of ARIN XXVII.

John thanked the social sponsor, NIC.pr. He asked attendees who wanted to answer the Question of the Day, “How would you describe an ARIN meeting to someone who has never attended?”, to see the CMSD staffers in the lobby during the break. He reviewed the rules of discussion to be followed throughout the meeting and gave brief overview of agenda.

At the beginning of the meeting, approximately 116 people were in attendance or engaged in remote participation. John Curran moderated discussions throughout the day.

[ARIN offered the opportunity for remote participation throughout the meeting. Comments from remote participants are read aloud at the meeting and are integrated into the meeting report. There were approximately 34 individuals viewing the meeting webcast throughout the proceedings, and 36 registered remote participants.]

 

IANA Report

Speaker: Elise Gerich, Vice-President, IANA
Presentation: PDF PPTX
Transcript

Elise Gerich presented a report on the status of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority.
Highlights included:

  • DNSSEC and transition of management of in.addr.arpa to ICANN
  • RZM automation, system in testing and expected to go live July 2011
  • Status of NTIA NOI on IANA Function
  • 2011 Business Excellence Self-assessment

At the conclusion of the report, John Curran invited questions from the floor. Discussion Highlights included:

  • An inquiry about the authentication methods that are planned for the root zone management system. Elise said she would get specific details on this and report back.

For discussion details, please see the transcript.

IPv6 IAB/IETF Activities Report

Speaker: Cathy Aronson
Presentation: PDF PPTX
Transcript

Cathy Aronson provided a presentation about activities within the IETF related to IPv6. Cathy noted that this presentation is not an official IETF report, as there is no official IETF Liaison to ARIN or any RIR.

Highlights included:

  • Updates from IETF Prague, CZ
  • RFC 6177 passed, IPv6 assignments to end sites
  • ISOC IPv6 Workshop
  • Internet Area activities; IPv4 and IPv6
  • RENUM BoF – should this become a working group
  • Working Group reports on:  Routing WG, IPv6 Maintenance, v6 Operations, BEHAVE, Benchmarking Methodology, DNS Operations, Secure Inter-Domain Routing, Global Routing Operations
  • URLS to informative references

At the conclusion of the report, John Curran invited questions from the floor. Discussion Highlights included:

  • A request from Wes George that folks send statements of support to the Internet Area Working group mailing list for the requirement to support IPv6 when it comes up for last call.  IETF is consensus based, and participation is welcome.
  • Alain Durand offered an update on two Working groups that were not mentioned in the presentation – Softwire and PCP. IETF is in last call on Dual-stack lite technology from the Softwire WG.  PCP is a newer working group and has been actively working to enable application to talk directly to the NAT and to open a port and that's both in IPv4 and IPv6.
  • An inquiry on the status of any IETF work on issues related to NAT breaking DNSSEC.

For discussion details, please see the transcript.

Draft Policy 2011-3: Better IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Introduction: John Curran, ARIN President and CEO
Speaker: Robert Seastrom, ARIN Advisory Council
Introduction: PDF PPTX
Presentation: PDF
Transcript

John Curran presented an introduction to the proposal. Highlights included:

  • Advisory Council shepherds: Robert Seastrom and David Farmer
  • Introduced on PPML on 16 November 2010 (ARIN-prop-121) and designated as a draft policy 28 January 2011. Current version 30 January 2011. This is the first discussion of this draft policy at an ARIN meeting.
  • APNIC had a similar proposal that was recently abandoned
  • Presentation of Draft Policy summary, Staff Impact Analysis, Legal Review, Staff Comments, and overview of PPML discussion activity. [see presentation and transcript links above for details]

Robert Seastrom continued with the presentation of the proposal. Robert presented the text of the proposal and then the rationale
Highlights

  • Problem statement
  • Review  of all required NRPM changes
  • Pros and cons of these simplifications to IPv6 allocation policy
  • Related errata

Tim Denton, Chairman, moderated discussion.

Discussion Highlights included:

  • An attendee commented that though the policy does a number of good things, but as written it needs to be revised to take RFC 6177 into account.  Too many moving pieces and errata to make a decision on this yet.  Should be revised and be brought back at the next meeting
  • An attendee commented that this policy proposal offers a good step toward simplifying IPv6 allocation requirements, brings it more in line with IPv4 policies.
  • An attendee suggested that it would be good to see a similar policy for IPv6 end-user assignments.
  • Extensive pro/con discussion of using HD-ratios to determine utilization
  • An attendee suggested that there be an allocation cap of /20 to prevent an organization using the policy to capture an “extraordinarily large” amount of addresses.
  • An attendee suggested that attention needs to be given to the definition of end-site. Should it be based on physical sites? Customers may have multi-building campuses.  Is each treated as an end-site?

For discussion details, please see the transcript.

At the end of discussion, Tim Denton asked for a show of hands to determine those in favor and those against the draft policy (remote participants were invited to participate). A second question was posed to see if there was interest in seeing further work done on this policy proposal. After both tallies were conducted, Tim stated that this information would be provided to the Advisory Council for use in its deliberations.

RIR Update - RIPE NCC

Speaker: Axel Pawlik, Managing Director, RIPE NCC
Presentation: PDF PPTX
Transcript

Axel Pawlik provided a presentation about RIPE NCC transition planning.

Highlights included:

  • Three Pillars: trusted data source, resource lifecycle management, development
  • Focus away from allocation toward registration
  • Managing member expectations
  • Please attend RIPE 62, 2-6 May in Amsterdam, NL

There were no comments or questions from the floor at the conclusion of the presentation.

Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Introduction: John Curran, ARIN President and CEO
Speaker: Chris Morrow, ARIN Advisory Council
Introduction: PDF PPTX
Presentation: PDF
Transcript

John Curran presented an introduction to the proposal. Highlights included:

  • Advisory Council shepherds: Stacy Hughes and Chris Morrow  
  • Introduced on PPML on 20 January 2011 (ARIN-prop-127) and designated as a draft policy 28 January 2011. Current version 20 January 2011. This is the first discussion of this draft policy at an ARIN meeting.
  • This policy is unique to ARIN. There are no similar proposals or policies at any other RIR.
  • Presentation of Staff Impact Analysis, Legal Review, Staff Comments, and overview of PPML discussion activity. [see presentation and transcript links above for details]

Chris Morrow continued with the presentation of the proposal. Chris presented the text of the proposal and then the rationale.

Highlights:

  • Would create a reserved single /10 for transitional technologies
  • Provides space for NAT activities that does not overlap with RFC1918 space
  • May require consult w/ IAB/IETF if ratified
  • Sparked much discussion on PPML

Tim Denton, Chairman moderated discussion.

Discussion Highlights included:

  • There was debate about resulting IPv6 breakage, and this policy’s potential impact on IPv6 deployment.
  • An attendee suggested that carrier grade NAT is going to be necessary and it will break things, but there is no way to avoid that need.  There will be negative side-effects, but it is the best solution.
  • Another attendee argued that creating an extension of 1918 space is outside ARIN’s purview, and that it will break 6 to 4 and won’t reduce the rate of IPv4 depletion in the ARIN region.
  • It was suggested that there is not more than anecdotal evidence that 1918 space is not sufficient to fulfill need.

For discussion details, please see the transcript.

At the end of discussion, Tim Denton asked for a show of hands to determine those in favor and those against the draft policy (remote participants were invited to participate). After the tally was conducted, Tim stated that this information would be provided to the Advisory Council for use in its deliberations.

RIR Update - AFRINIC

Speaker: Mark Elkins, Board Member, AFRINIC
Presentation: PDF
Transcript

Mark Elkins provided a presentation about recent activities and developments within AFRINIC and its region.

Highlights included:

  • AFRINIC activities
  • Policies under discussion
  • Membership statistics
  • IPv4 and IPv6 allocation statistics
  • AFRINIC 14 & AfNOG 12, 4-10 June, Dar Es Salam, Tanzania

There were no comments or questions from the floor at the conclusion of the presentation.

ARIN Online: New Features

Speaker: Andy Newton, Chief Engineer, ARIN
Presentation: PDF PPTX
Transcript

Andy gave a presentation on the recently released ARIN Online feature set. Highlights included:

  • Bulk Whois improvements
  • Whois-RWS and Whois Port 43 improvements
  • POC Validation support
  • New features – Org Recovery, Resource management, RDNS & DNSSEC
  • New STLS category – Facilitator
  • RESTful Provisioning service – also OT&E environment so folks can test without using their live data
  • Templates changes, API keys required
  • Upcoming improvements – RPKI, Billing integration, IRR upgrades, additional RESTful Provisioning functionality

At the conclusion of the report, John Curran invited questions from the floor. Discussion Highlights included:

  • STLS public summary data is currently updated every time there is a new registration.  Right now, the service is not getting much use, but updates will happen more frequently as participation increases.
  • A question about managing RPKI and transfers was deferred until after the Resource Certification presentation.

For discussion details, please see the transcript.

Resource Certification: RPKI

Speaker: Mark Kosters, Chief Technology Officer , ARIN
Presentation: PDF PPTX
Transcript

Mark Kosters provided an overview of the status of Resource Certification system development at ARIN. Highlights included:

  • RPKI Pilot history
  • General architecture plan
  • System status as of ARIN XXVI
  • Changes and current development status
  • RPKI status outside of ARIN
  • ARIN deployment plan

John Curran offer the Board perspective on issues related to deploying Resource Certification in the ARIN region. Highlights included:

  • Risk model review
  • Liabilities related to hosted and up/down Resource Certification services
  • Objective is to resolve issues so that ARIN can offer both options.

At the conclusion of the report, John Curran invited questions from the floor. Discussion Highlights included:

  • (interjection in presentation) The rough architecture has been discussed to deal with RPKI and resource transfers within and between registries, but it is a complicated issue and the specifics are still being determined.
  • Who is currently using the test environment, and who wants a production level service? Participants expressed a desire for more information and an opportunity for public comment. There was also more interest in the up/down model than a hosted solution.
  • An attendee suggested that ARIN should develop more documentation on Resource Certification implementation and best practices to help the community understand the issues related to engaging this service. An additional recommendation for an “RPKI Roadshow” was made.

For discussion details, please see the transcript.

PDP Committee Report

Speaker: Lee Howard, ARIN PDP Committee Chair and John Curran, ARIN President and CEO
Presentation: PDF PPTX
Transcript

Lee Howard presented a report on the status of the Policy Development Process Committee Work.

Highlights included:

  • Seven Member Committee
  • Still working on the documents: Goals and Definition, Process, Petition Process
  • Problems with the current process
  • Not looking at a radical process changes rather improvements to make the process quicker and easier to understand
  • Committed to getting community feedback on all proposed changes
  • Next steps

At the conclusion of the report, John Curran invited questions from the floor. Discussion Highlights included:

  • An attendee asked if these PDP changes take issues related to Global Policy development into account.  Lee said that thus far, they have not been specifically addressed, and John suggested any thoughts on process improvements needed to facilitate the Global Policy process should be sent to Lee for inclusion in committee discussions.

For discussion details, please see the transcript.

POC Validation Stats

Moderator: Leslie Nobile, Director of Registration Services, ARIN
Presentation: PDF PPTX
Transcript

In response to a question received earlier in the meeting, John Curran provided an update on the POC validation process.

Highlights included:

  • POC validation campaign update
  • 210,000+ POC validation request emails sent to date
  • 14% response rate
  • POCs  by resource type

At the conclusion of the report, John Curran invited questions from the floor. Discussion Highlights included:

  • An attendee asked if they are able to view the validation status of their POCs on their downstreams.  It was suggested that if this was something that the community wants, it can be submitted as a suggestion for a future system improvement.
  • An attendee pointed out that the statistics indicate that many organizations have one valid POC and a bunch that have not been validated.  He encouraged continued work on this clean-up effort.
  • ARIN staff confirmed that it is possible to recover abandoned POCs on valid Organization records using ARIN Online.

For discussion details, please see the transcript.

Stacking it Up: Experimental Observations on the operation of Dual Stack Services

Moderator: Geoff Huston, Chief Scientist, APNIC
Presentation: PDF
Transcript

Geoff Huston gave a presentation on the results of his experimental observations on the operation of Dual Stack Services.

Highlights included:

  • End-to end service measurements
  • Test methodology and access combinations
  • “Can” vs. “will” use IPv6
  • .2% in the wider Internet can work on native v6, 4% can use v6 dual stacked
  • Performance observations - behavior of 6to4 and Teredo
  • IPv6 Connection Failure rates – Unicast, Teredo, and dual stack
  • How to run these tests – https://labs.apnic.net

For discussion details, please see the transcript.

Open Policy Hour and Open Microphone

Moderator: John Curran, ARIN President and CEO
Transcript

John Curran moderated the Open Policy Hour discussion. Highlights included:

  • Global policy proposal for post-IANA depletion
  • Alternate idea is to attempt to codify the ability of entities from outside the ARIN region to get resources from ARIN. The resources would remain subject to policies and management of ARIN region.
  • This alternate proposal is in conflict with ICP-2, we would need to resolve the conflict between the policies before anything could be implemented. Need to find a way to compromise between the regions about transfer and run out issues.
  • Lunch table discussion about improving access to transfer markets.  Appears to be demand for transfers that aren’t sized on CIDR boundaries (check transcript) 8.3 seems to limit transfers to occur on CIDR block sizes.  Should we relax single CIDR block requirement on 8.3?
  • Need to make things as simple as possible, while preserving the needs-based requirements that the community wants.
  • What if we included valid POCs for downstream SWIPS as part of utilization metrics to encourage compliance?

John Curran then moderated an open microphone session. Highlights included:

  • Should ARIN do some sort of IPv6 readiness measurement like other RIRs? If so what criteria should be included? Need to make sure any such effort is not construed as a de facto certification.
  • How do I find nameserver information now that it is not visible in Whois? This information is now available through ARIN Online.

Closing Announcements and Adjournment

Speaker: John Curran, ARIN President and CEO
Transcript

John Curran thanked network sponsor, AT&T, and invited attendees to participate in the "Question of the Day" the following morning by answering the question: "What was your favorite moment at this ARIN meeting?" He adjourned the meeting for the day at 5:00 PM EDT.