Your IP address could not be determined at this time.

ARIN XXVII Members Meeting Draft Transcript - 13 April 2011

Table of Contents

Opening and Announcements

John Curran:  Okay. So welcome. This is our member meeting. It's open to everyone. And I'd like to start out by thanking our network sponsor, AT&T. Thank you.

(Applause.)

ARIN question of the day, we're still recording, what was your favorite moment. If you want to be on video and be used in the video that we use for our booth, explaining to people what the ARIN meetings are all about, please find Member Services and get recorded, and you'll be immortal in our videotape.

Don't forget the meeting survey. You all have a meeting survey in your packet. And you can put them in the bowl on the way out, and all respondents will be entered to win an iPad 2, which hopefully we already have in our possession and we won't be waiting for.

But we do, actually. Yeah, someone here has an iPad 2. So please fill out your surveys, and you'll be in good shape.

Rules and reminders. The Chair will moderate discussions of Draft Policy so that all can speak and be heard. Please state your name and affiliation when you go to microphones. Please comply with rules and courtesies of the program.

Today's agenda. Today we have updates from the various departments within ARIN. We have the ARIN Advisory Council report. We have the ARIN Financial report. We have the ARIN Board of Trustees report and then we have Open Microphone.

There will be a break at approximately 10:30. I'll put it in there when we get close.

So let me start without further ado and begin the department -- let me start with the head table. We have the Board of Trustees at the head table:  Bill Woodcock, Timothy Denton, Vint Cerf, Paul Vixie, Scott Bradner, and the Chair of the Advisory Council, John Sweeting, and Paul Andersen.

So I'll call up first to start the reports Mary K. Lee to give the HR, Human Resources and Administration, report.

ARIN Updates: Human Resources and Administration

Mary K. Lee:  Good morning, everyone. Normally I get to sit in the back and drink a lot of coffee and get even more nervous about doing this presentation, because I'm usually last. However, I booked myself an early flight out today, so I got bumped to the top of the list.

So good morning, all.

I'm going to talk about the department staff, just a little bit about what we've been up to internally and then an overall company staff update.

Therese Colosi is our longtime executive assistant, supports John and the Board, Advisory Council. And this year, in addition to all the normal duties that she has, we also have the secretariat role for the ASO AC and NRO EC, so even busier than usual.

And Misuk Kwon just joined us late last year, been a wonderful addition to the staff. She's the front desk person and handles a little bit of everything to keep us together.

In addition, we moved all the Advisory Council travel to her. So she's picked up that piece for everyone. So we almost have two part-time travel agents at ARIN sometimes, depending particularly in the fall and spring for the ARIN member meetings.

And myself, our area, HR and administration, we cover facility management, compensation, payroll, benefits, administration, and everything else that nobody else really fit into their department, so it kind of comes our way.

Benefits. We did a full employee benefits survey last year towards the end of the year. We were looking at making some changes and really wanted to get some input from people. So the biggest change we did, we did change our medical insurance for the first time in many years.

We were advised to do so by our broker just because of issues with our past carrier.

And we also enhanced some of our other policies and just took a hard look at things because we've been doing them for so many years that it was just time to update things and add some things in.

So that's worked out quite well. And training. Let's see. I had some fun correspondence yesterday with a couple of people in engineering back at the office. So although they actually did puppet training, I was going to introduce this as they did Muppet training and it did involve Kermit, to see if anybody was awake here. Paying attention? 

Anyway, puppet training. I'll take a note here for Pete Toscano back in the office. It's a systems management platform that will help the quality assurance team and the operations team work together a little better, manage things a little faster, deploy boxes a little quicker, and rebuild broken boxes more quickly.

That's according to Pete.

And then facilities, the biggest thing here is after a lot of work by myself and Bob Stratton, and then over the last couple of months Michael Abejuela, our staff attorney, we are in the process of signing a lease renewal. So we will be staying at our current location. We're adding seven years to the lease. So we're very, very happy about that. And we're just waiting counter signatures to come back to us.

It's been about a year and -- how many months?  A year and two months, Bob, that it took us to do that?  So quite a bit.

Company stats. We have a very tenured staff at ARIN. Over half of the company has been at ARIN for more than five years. Our average tenure is six years. And our turnover rate hovers about 4 to 5 percent.

So that being said, we've had some turnover. And a couple people did mention to me asking about some people leaving. And so I want to recognize three longtime former employees of ARIN that supported us for many years. And that is Megan Kruse, who was our public relations officer; Matt Ryanczak, systems operations manager; and Richard Jimmerson, our CIO. They've all moved on to other careers.

They were at ARIN between seven and 13 years. So really people who have put their time in. So just want to thank them for their time with us. And that's it.

(Applause.)

And that's all I have.

John Curran:  Questions for Mary K.?  Thank you.

(Applause.)

Next up we'll have Mark Kosters, and he'll be doing the Engineering Activities Report.

ARIN Updates: Engineering Activities

Mark Kosters:  Okay. Before I begin, I must start out with a duck story. So I think many of you know, but I'm going to have to retell it for those who don't, about my duck encounter that happened over the spring.

And that is, I ride my bike to work. Or I try to for a good part of the summer. And a couple of other engineers do as well.

And for my first trip of the year, I was trying to figure out how fast would it take me and how much better would I do at the end of the year riding my bike to work.

And I was going down the path from my house to the office. There's a family of geese on the path. And I already knew, and this was a little bit of a foreshadowing for things to come, because I didn't tell everyone the entire story yet, that geese are kind of territorial when you have little goslings going along.

And as I got closer, I was telling them:  Get out of my way. I was yelling at them. I didn't really slow down on my bike at all.

And the mother goose, as I came up very close to them, she started spreading her wings and quacking at me saying you're getting too close.

And as I passed her, she actually launched and jumped on my back, and it totally freaked me out. Off the bike I went. Down, ripped up my jacket and got all bloody.

And I kind of got off my bike. I was kind of bewildered. And the mother goose, she was quacking at me. I noticed I was right next to a busy road and cars started slowing down.

And so I was going, okay, this really looks foolish. And I got to the office and became even more foolish because everyone started making fun of me.

And I'm known as the goose lover at work.

No more.

So now here's the part that I hadn't told before. I thought this was sort of a hereditary condition, because my daughter the previous year got attacked by a goose. And I said, oh, you know kids, they just kind of do that kind of thing, she kind of poked a little bit at it, because she loves animals.

Well, since she got attacked and I got attacked, when I came here I realized it's more than just a hereditary sort of thing. Scott Bradner also got attacked by the fowl out here.

So what this really is -- and I'm really proud about this -- this is a public service announcement:  Please don't mess with the geese.

So to end this story, Scott tried to get me to try to walk towards this goose just to see what would happen.

I'm getting a little bit wiser.

Scott Bradner:  But he wouldn't do it. But he's too afraid. Too much history.

Mark Kosters:  I actually did think about it, just because it would be kind of fun. I don't mind a little bit of pain for a little laughter gained.

But that's all okay.

So now on for the engineering presentation. It didn't go over as well as last time. I don't have any silly slides or pictures to show it. So, okay, did I go back a slide?  So engineering.

We've continued to have a surge. We've had a lot of contractors come into ARIN's offices that help kind of catch us up over the years to modernize all the software we have at ARIN.

And I think you've seen now a good bit of the work that the staff has put out. A lot of the things that we have is we're now out of the '80s to '90s with templates, and we actually have ways of doing things that are sort of fairly modern, either using RESTful interfaces for provisioning or actually going on the Web to submit your requests.

So what we had for staffing is what you can see here. We had seven people in operations, with one opening, which is of course Matt Ryanczak's leaving. We have 13 people in development, with seven contractors, and one opening.

So if you know any good engineers or operations people, you want to work at a really cool place at ARIN, that's cool. You can even ride your bike. I could show you where the geese are.

And it all will just work out.

In quality assurance, we have nine people. Five of which are contractors, one person is doing requirements and project management, and, of course, me.

So operations. What have we done?  So one of the things that we've done is we set up a partial OT&E environment for those people who want to do the RESTful template sort of testing. We know that the RESTful interface is somewhat complicated and it will take engineers a little bit of time to go ahead and start testing their systems to make sure it works. They prefer not to do it with production data.

Don't blame them. So we set up this test environment to make one do -- so one could do their testing without any sort of production impact.

We've been upgrading end-of-life equipment. When I first came to ARIN I was amazed about the amount of dust that's accumulated on a good bit of the gear there.

We've been replacing a good part of that, and it's now doing quite well. We've put in a PFS-lite site in St Maarten.

So who knows what PFS is?  Okay. So two people. That's really cool. So I'll just keep on going.

No, so PFS, what it is, they're public facing services is really what it is. And these are basically for PFS site is we have Whois, Web, DNS, soon RPKI. All those things will actually be placed out on our Colo sites. And we have two robust PF sites, one the East Coast and one on the West Coast.

We also have PFS-lite sites where it serves up DNS traffic and we have Anycast sites. And aside from our East and West Coast facilities, we have one in Canada and now one in St Maarten.

We are also in the process of consolidating our Colo and Equinix. We had two separate rack sites and we're going into a cage, mainly because with RPKI we need to have secure storage for our HSM.

And the reason for that is we need to have two people with separate keys to open up the box so they can get to the HSM, which is tamper-resistant in the first place.

You touch the HSM, the bolts will blow. You'll get ink on your fingers or whatever else, and we'll catch you. So but this is all to make sure that our secret keys are safe as we bring out RPKI.

And of course we're maintaining a whole bunch of different environments now of which are listed on the screen. The most important, of course, is production.

So here is our Whois-RWS statistics on v6. What's interesting is we're starting to see a lot more traffic on v6. And I think Rowley actually did the stats on this, and we're seeing like 5 to 6 percent of traffic on v6 now compared to before. Or a little bit -- it's a little bit less. But it's come up dramatically compared to what we've done in the past, which we find very interesting.

Now, what I want to talk about is our Whois-RWS loads. What's interesting is the past ARIN meetings, the last two in particular, I've talked about the loads that we've actually experienced against the servers.

At ARIN XXV, we had this incredible sort of self-referential sort of activity going on where people were querying for the IP address that they were sourced at. So if they came from 192.168.1.1, they were asking:  Tell me what network 192.168.1.1 is. That seems to have gone away. And it went away right after the meeting. So I think people are listening.

So at ARIN XXVI, which is the last meeting, we saw an incredible rise of traffic and it was correlated with Google actually, and now seeing an OpenID collaboration with Yahoo! in September.

Traffic spiked that day 300 percent. And most of the traffic was asking for various sort of log-in providers from Yahoo!, AOL, Facebook, et cetera.

And at that point we were seeing 5600 queries per second against the Whois servers. Now, that's not a lot for DNS traffic. But for TCP traffic, asking a -- basically a MySQL database on the back side, that's pretty good numbers. And these numbers are actually at or as high if not higher than what VeriSign sees on their Whois servers on Com or Net. So this is kind of interesting.

So here you can actually see when Yahoo! -- there's the thing here, right?  Yeah. This is when Yahoo! -- or, sorry, Google announced their collaboration.

And you can see that spike just went up dramatically during that time. And, of course, there's diurnal traffic that we see on a day-to-day basis against our Whois servers.

So the load disappeared right after the meeting. So now we're running normally about 2,000 queries per second.

And here's the graph that shows our actual traffic. So we were doing the hockey puck, and now we have the -- I guess the IN-ADDR.ARPA crash. And we're down at sort of normal Whois loads.

What's interesting about this is when we released our RESTful interface last year, one of the things we've broken out is the people who are doing RESTful queries, people who are going cross port 80 going to the Web interface to do their Whois queries, and of course port 43, which is the old antique crusty Whois interface, right, and you can see that port 43 has a pretty substantial amount of traffic. The RESTful interface actually has a substantial amount of traffic. And I promise you there is red in that graph someplace.

So the Web traffic is next to nothing, so which is kind of interesting. Actually, the red traffic -- the red line is actually between the blue and the green; you just can't see it because it's so small.

So next thing we're going to talk about is IN-ADDR.ARPA transition. So this has moved from ARIN to ICANN in terms of publishing IN-ADDR.ARPA. This has been happening over time. I started working at the Internet back in -- or, actually, the DoD NIC back in 1991 and we generated all these things. And ARIN, when -- on its inception in 1997, it also inherited the generation of IN-ADDR.ARPA. It's just something that's been worked on -- been talked about for years, transitioning to ICANN.

We finally got around to doing it, after making sure that there was a good test plan in place with ICANN and making sure that there was going to be no balls dropped.

So thankfully it moved. There's really no blip in service at all that you guys saw. And the root servers also removed at about the same time.

So they were serving up IN-ADDR.ARPA. That's now moved off. Now the regional registries, along with ICANN, are serving -- are authoritatively serving IN-ADDR.ARPA. They've also at that transition started signing IN-ADDR.ARPA.

And we plan on provisioning our DS records to IANA. We also sign our zones to IANA within the next month, so that you will no longer have to use our trust anchors, that are listed on ARIN’s website.

We'll be able to follow the sort of normal chain of delegation for DNSSEC as well. So there will be no new for trust anchors at that point.

If you do decide to secure zones via ARIN Online, you can actually then do secure validation from the root all the way down to your PTR record.

So as part of the transition we are actually monitoring the amount of traffic as it went to -- we have A.IN-ADDR.ARPA.

And what we did as the transition occurred from -- okay. So you know it's always dangerous seeing people IMing beside you in really large text.

So now I've lost my train of thought.

John Curran:  We're not always talking about you.

(Laughter.)

Mark Kosters:  So here we see the traffic that goes to A as part of the transition from the roots to the RIR servers.

And what's interesting about this is you see the spike that occurred right in the middle. And actually what this is is blow-by from an attack that occurred someplace on the Internet. We don't know where this attack occurred.

But this also -- this blow-by was also seen by the roots but impacted the IN-ADDR.ARPA servers as well. You can see the diurnal sort of graph which is very common for doing DNS as well as Whois traffic.

Development with Q&A. We've been really, really busy this past six months. You'll see that here in a little bit. The biggest thing is making sure all these things are as bug-free as possible. They're not 100 percent bug-free, but they at least didn't fall on their face when we actually rolled these things out.

Whois-RWS releases. We put out two things that are notable. One is easier to understand Web interface. And I encourage you to talk to Andy about what PFT stands for, if you want to know why it's part of the URL when looking at that. And delegation information is now available within Whois. And Whois, the service, and you can actually use the d flag to actually do a delegation query and actually see your name servers.

So what's different about this is that this actually brings us more in line to what the other regional registries are doing in terms of finding out what the name servers are. It's kind of bringing back some sort of uniform behavior again.

So we've made our big structural changes. Has anyone noticed the big change that's happened with ARIN Online?  A few of you. That's good. Not the rest of you. Okay.

So the big things are -- we were kind of worried about this, really. You need to send in API keys as part of your template submissions if you do decide to use templates.

This is actually an added security mechanism. It scared me to death we were using mail from all these years that these transactions were coming through. And that was the sort of the validation checkpoint. Now we have really a much better way of making sure that these things, when they do, templates do come in, and we encourage you to use RESTful interface, that you actually -- but if you do decide to use templates, that you put on your API keys. These keys are not seen by anybody else, unless you want to share them.

They're no longer in -- it's not in Whois. There's no way people can guess this kind of stuff anymore.

Okay. Now we talk about the ARIN 4.0 release. We have more secure templates I just talked about. Resource requests going through ARIN online and RESTful API. Zone management. Now you have a UI to actually manage your zones. You have DNSSEC for provisioning.

By the way, we're also adding some RESTful interfaces, so if you choose not to use the Web to go ahead and make your DNS changes we'll also make a RESTful API available for you, and enhance STLS functionality.

So RPKI services. I brought this up at the last meeting. This is verbatim in terms of what's going on there, in that there's all this legal liability.

I talked about this yesterday, so did John, about the Board tussling with the liability concerns about RPKI. We continue to go ahead. We have a hosted solution that's underway, and we're doing up/down as well as soon as we get the code from RIPE.

Another thing that is coming, and this is big news, billing is going to be integrated within ARIN Online. So you'll now be able to do your billing contact provisioning through ARIN Online, and we're looking to do reports through ARIN Online as well for all your billing needs.

So additionally we're looking at IRR improvements to -- the IRR was sort of deliberately sort of knee-capped, and we're getting rid of those particular enhancements, I guess you would say, and making it more in line to what the community wants. And we'll be doing some more work on IR next year.

Upcoming challenges. RPKI, there's really a lot left to do. The big thing that was brought up yesterday that Sandy brought to the mic was transfers. Transfers are just an ugly, ugly thing with RPKI, and we need to come up with a solution that works.

And that's going to be fairly involved. We have an outstanding -- we have a number of outstanding member service requests that we plan on implementing. But we had to get through this huge hump of updating basically a forklift upgrade of our existing systems to make this all happen.

Now we can be a little bit more nimble again and start putting these point-to-point improvements into place.

Another thing is we want to do true integration with the IRR within ARIN Online. So right now these are sort of disparate systems. We want to bring them into the fold and make that happen as well. We have a bunch of internal projects that we're putting out that I don't want to bore you with, and of course replacement of the legacy gear, because I don't like dust.

So at that point are there any questions? 

Cathy Aronson:  Hi, Cathy Aronson. I just wanted to make a comment that I noticed that you internally, at least, call this AOL. And that's sort of an unfortunate term to use that you need an AOL account to contact ARIN.

(Laughter.)

John Curran:  Can I comment on that? 

Mark Kosters:  Yes, you can.

John Curran:  So when I was first exposed to the internal name, I made it clear that our external name was ARIN Online and our documentation name was ARIN Online and our slide-ware name was ARIN Online.

But when you have code, you have lots and lots of files and code names and development names. And so it lives on internally.

But I will endeavor to keep it only internal. It is ARIN Online. We don't have an AOL anything at ARIN. Okay? 

Bill Woodcock:  If you prefer, you could call it uplink personal edition.

John Curran:  Thank you very much.

So next up is Bob Stratton to present the Financial Services Report.

ARIN Updates: Financial Services

Bob Stratton:  Good morning, everybody. I'd like to give a shout out back at the office to Einar and Abram. We can talk about foosball and some trophies when I get back.

Anyway, I'm going to talk about our staff. We're finishing up the financial audit. We're beginning work at ARIN Online as Mark referred to it.

We're monitoring our accounts. We're supporting the Board committees and we're doing in-house legal work now.

Here's the staff:  Tammy, Amaris, Tanya, Amy, Maria, Val, and Michael. They do a great job.

Basically Tammy, Val and Michael are here. Hopefully you got to meet them.

The financial audit is underway. The draft's completed. We're beginning work on the 990. The audit committee is getting ready to forward the financial audit to the Board.

We've also implemented some audit suggestions for improving our controls.

As Mark referred to it, we're beginning work in ARIN Online. This is a good thing. Right now the approval message in an initial request is being sent back by FSD after RSD approves the request to move forward.

Basically we need the RSA and we need the payment. So our response to the client is now being done through ARIN Online, which means we have a ticketed interaction, which is a great improvement for us.

We're actually very pleased. We like the system. We're doing our normal monitoring of the accounts, bank account, credit cards, the lockbox.

We're also monitoring our reserve investments. As some of you might know, last year was a pretty good year. And we try and be as conservative as our fiduciary responsibility calls for in monitoring those. And the structure of the portfolio is fairly conservative, we feel.

We may move some money around, move some of it out of the riskier into the more conservative this year, just to rebalance the accounts.

In support of the Board committees, the finance committee work is going to be presented by the treasurer. The audit committee work is underway. They basically reviewed the financial statements, and I think they're ready to forward them to the Board.

In terms of what the audit found, there were some minor control improvements they suggested to us. We've implemented them. Nothing major. It was called a clean audit, which is a good thing.

We're continuing to fund our green initiative of carbon offsets. That was a directive from the Board.

In-house legal work. Michael Abejuela is here. He's coordinating work with the general counsel. He's our RSA and LRSA negotiator. He's got plenty of work there.

He reviews our contracts. He's also our insurance liaison, and he's continuingly to look at our internal process reviews just to make sure that we are operating in a safe manner and to lower any liabilities there.

Here's my one chart. Here's the registration revenue over the last four years. This basically shows the importance of v4 revenue.

I suspect even post exhaustion, v4 will still be the lion's share of our revenue just because of the renewal effect.

But v6 will start, that red line should start to increase based on v6, which is part of it. It's also autonomous system numbers and maintenance accounts associated with ASNs, end users and transfers.

This is just a chart that shows that the economy is supposedly getting better, at least until the recent events in Japan.

So I just needed to put that in, just to do my normal here's what's going on in the world.

And with that, I'm open to any questions.

John Curran:  Thank you, Bob.

(Applause.)

John Curran:  Moving right along, we have Cathy Handley to give the Government Affairs and Public Policy Report.

ARIN Updates: Government Affairs and Public Policy Support

Cathy Handley:  Thank you. I haven't been to a meeting actually in a year because I've been doing government affairs and public policy.

To get going here, so I can figure out how to not work this -- what did I do? 

All right. Recent activities. I think John covered the Plenipotentiary Conference last year in Guadalajara, Mexico, with the ITU. And since then we've had a Study Group 2 meeting which is the group at the ITU that does numbering, naming, and addressing, interestingly enough, but not this kind.

At least we're trying to keep it that way.

We've had a couple of ICANN meetings. Went up to Ottawa in February for an AGWG meeting. And had our first MAG meeting, multi-stakeholder advisory group meeting, for the IGF, in February to begin planning for this year's Internet Governance Forum, which will be in Nairobi, in the end of September.

Our first CITEL PCC1 meeting took place in March, and at that point we are starting to work with others in the region to establish some positions and papers regarding the International Telecommunications Regulations, which I will talk about next.

Question.

Vint Cerf:  Would you mind explaining what some of these things mean, AGWG and PCC1? 

Cathy Handley:  Certainly. The AGWG is the ARIN Government Working Group. PCC1 -- there are two committees. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what the PCC1 stands for. But there's two committees -- let me back up all the way.

Organization of American States, north, south, Central America. In that is an organization called CITEL, which is where it's kind of like a mini ITU. PCC1 is the telecom side. PCC2 would be spectrum radio side.

And we're getting more involved with them because there's safety in numbers. And the more -- and I meant people numbers, not IP numbers.

But in order to be heard, we're trying to establish more positions based on the region. And it's working out fairly well for us. Worked with Raúl a lot and the ISOC folks.

We're gaining some momentum down there, which is going to be really important as we go forward.

We've got another multi-stakeholder advisory group meeting coming up in May. Following that will be another Study Group 2 meeting which may be a little more interesting than the last ones, because it will be -- the first real discussions we've had after plenipot, where the RIRs are actually called out in some of the resolutions to cooperate, collaborate, and we're dealing with some of that now.

Have an ICANN meeting in June. And then Vint and I will be in Paris for the OECD High Level meeting where Vint will be giving the opening remarks. I think that's still the way it is.

And then there's a CANTO meeting, the Caribbean, in July, that Susan Hamlin, Owen, and I will be attending in Suriname. And then we have another PCC1 meeting and then the IGF in September.

But there's two meetings that aren't on here that I think it's important that you hear about. We just finished the IPv6 working group meeting last week at the ITU. That was referenced a little earlier in the week.

Originally this came out as what looked like was going to be just an untenable set of meetings. I think the last meeting that we had, there were some moments that got a little dicy and a little tough. But we explained. Axel, Bill Graham, Leslie Daigle from ISOC, and myself, had a good talk with the chairman of the meeting and explained that we're here to help.

There's nothing having us here is going to hurt. We train. We help now, and I think the result of that was a really good talk, because all of the other conversations about IPv6 at the ITU have kind of died down. And now there's a much stronger focus on working with the ITU to get training done for developing countries, some developed countries need it. There's a lot of work to be done.

So hopefully we're going to have a very collegial going forward, at least we're going to work on that.

The other meeting that preceded that was a preparatory meeting for the World Conference on International Telecommunications. Now, that may not sound like it really addresses us, but at that meeting they are going to look into a treaty that has not been modified since 1998. It's the International Telecommunications Regulations.

There are some countries that are very interested in putting IP addresses into that treaty.

There was one contribution at the meeting last week where they actually suggested that IPv6 be allocated by the ITU and therefore included in the treaty. The good news is it didn't get a lot of recognition.

There wasn't a lot of, yeah, great idea. Right now there's a lot of discussion over roaming rates, and interesting double taxation issue that doesn't make me miss telecom at all.

But you're going to be hearing more and more about this as we go on. And just because at this meeting it really wasn't recognized as something that they were going to focus on.

Don't for a minute think it's over and done. In 2012 there will be the World Telecommunications Standardization Assembly from the ITU, WTSA, and there will be more interest about our world in that, and that will be followed by a five- to ten-day discussion on the telecom regs, which may have a big effect on us.

So just kind of an update. Any questions? 

Vint Cerf:  Yes. Now people may think I'm listening to the football game. Actually, this is the PA system, but now I'm trying to figure out whether I can stand to hear myself talk. Does that work?  Okay. So first question, with regard to the WCIT, this is really scary. You mentioned roaming rates and double taxation. Presumably that was in the context of telephony.

But I am concerned that there is an increasing amount of use of mobiles for data and that this blurring of distinction between the two could lead us into the maelstrom of telephony kinds of taxation, regulation, roaming charges and everything else would be disastrous in my view.

Are we -- ARIN isn't necessarily the right party to engage on that, but it might be useful to know a little bit more. Are we at risk on the data side? 

Cathy Handley:  I think there's a lot at risk, quite honestly. For those that don't know, when this treaty was put together, it was what works where accounting and settlement rates are taken care of.

This is how originally when the treaty was done, how countries were getting settlement rates for telephony traffic to help them build up their networks.

Well, over time, over 22 years, that's changed a lot. A lot of things are done in the IP world now. They've changed. And there's money at risk is basically what it boils down to.

And the revenue that's resulted from some of this in the countries has gone down substantially. And that's not seen favorably.

There was a comment, just to expand a little more, the GSM Association was there and brought up an issue about roaming rates and double taxation.

And one of the member states said, quite plainly, I will tax whatever I want. That's not an unusual response. And I think that it's just getting started, which is the reason I'm going to try and follow on them.

And about all I can do is try and keep something -- I know, Susan and Hollis are trying to get me to get like -- write things up more than I do.

My boss would like me to do that, too, but anyway, to try and put something on the website that will help, something that can be followed and know where we are.

I'm talking to both the U.S. and the Canadian government about what their views are on things. And right now it's just kind of pay attention to it. If that answers your question.

John Curran:  Okay. Next up is a very important department, Susan Hamlin, giving you the Member Services Report. This is the department that brings you all these wonderful meetings.

ARIN Updates: Communications and Member Services

Susan Hamlin:  Thank you, John. I'm going to talk about some of our ongoing activities and also some new projects. And most of the work that we do focuses on two of ARIN's missions to advance the Internet through education and informational outreach and also to develop consensus-based policies.

So I'm going to start with just a look at current ARIN membership, and this goes back the last six years, looking at every March quarter.

We seem to be in a pretty consistent trend of gaining 300 or so new members each year. And these are organizations who come to ARIN for a first-time allocation of resources, either v4 or v6.

So looking at some of our projects and activities, we are currently working on a content management system for the ARIN website.

We outsource the development of the project. That development is largely completed. And following this meeting our operations team will be installing the system, and then we will have the fun job of moving all of the content into the content management system sometime this summer.

As Mary K. mentioned, ARIN this year is the secretariat for the NRO and the Address Support Organization. With that, we maintain the NRO and ASO websites and take care of sending out their communications.

I'll talk a little bit later about the video. Other activities, in addition to the two public policy and members meetings, we facilitate the fellowship program, and we're happy to have the three fellows with us here.

We also put on ARIN On the Road shows. We started these again last year. These are one-day programs. We look for cities where we have a good number of ARIN member organizations. We take Registration Services. We take Einar to talk about policy and general ARIN activities, ARIN Online. And it's a chance to reach out to some of the members that haven't had the opportunity to come to our public policy and members meetings.

Through that, we encourage them to participate, and we had good success last year. We've added people on to the public policy mailing list and as remote participants to these meetings.

Another area that keeps us very busy is just the ARIN website. New content, new design. Always interested in information you would like to see there and different ways to portray that information.

Social media. I'll talk about that a little bit later in public relations.

We also facilitate the policy development process, the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process. Jud, our membership coordinator, maintains a membership database, and he also is involved in the elections.

And I have to give him a shout-out. He's been working very hard the past couple of months updating our records of designated member representatives.

So this fall, when elections come around, we'll have quite an increase in the eligible organizations voting.

Some of the fun activities. We like to do things other than publish information sheets. And we have produced a couple new multimedia programs, one on deploying IPv6 we released last year, shortly after the Atlanta meeting, and this is a type of program that we display at our booths when we go around.

We developed a new kind of sort of training this year with all the enhancements on ARIN Online. There are a lot of new processes for you all to use. And the ARIN Online Delegation Management and DNSSEC flash is really step-by-step screen shots to walk you through the new process, and we hope to be developing additional types like this.

So if there's anything on ARIN Online that you're having difficulty with or would like some kind of tutorial, we're happy to develop these kinds of programs.

We released the annual report, 2010 Annual Report, in March. I probably recommend you take a look at it. You can find it through the "about us" section of the ARIN website.

At least for this meeting, last week after the policy text was frozen for the meeting, Einar recorded a podcast and talked about all six draft policies that were going to be discussed. So I'm interested in feedback. Anybody here listened to it? 

Wonderful. Thank you. Take a look after the fact. We put it up as an experiment to see if it was easier to listen to an explanation of the Draft Policies rather than read them. So we'll continue to offer that. And if there are any other types of information you think lends itself to podcasts, we'd be interested in knowing that also.

So video project. John's been announcing the various questions each day. We've actually had -- yes.

David Farmer:  David Farmer, University of Minnesota, ARIN AC. The podcasts, I was just hearing mumblings that nobody knew about it.

So I was wondering:  Did it get announced on PPML?  Because I don't remember seeing it either.

Susan Hamlin:  It was announced through ARIN Announce. I'll have to check to see if it went to PPML. If it didn't, our bad.

It did go to PPML.

David Farmer:  Okay. Oh, as part of text frozen message. Okay. Because I think a number of other people didn't see it, I guess.

Scott Leibrand:  Scott Leibrand, ARIN AC. I tried to listen to the podcast on my phone and could not because it is not a podcast; it's an MP3 file. If you could publish it with a .xml, it makes it into an actual podcast. I would have been able to subscribe to it on my phone. I wasn't able to get back around to it once I got to my computer.

Susan Hamlin:  Good feedback. We'll do that. So the video project, we've had five people provide interviews, and I encourage folks at the break to have your last chance to talk about what your favorite moment of this meeting was.

I asked folks at my breakfast table today what their favorite moment was. And the best response was the rum tasting at the social.

(Applause.)

However, it really wasn't about the rum tasting, it was what happened after the fact; that people really loosened up. There was a lot of great discussion that started, and they felt like it was a real good opportunity to meet and bond with other people.

Then that discussion morphed into perhaps people should be having rum tastings before they post to PPML. And then I left the table.

(Laughter.)

So ARIN has a Consultation and Suggestion Process that we began back in 2006. And just an update on the statistics.

Since that time -- well, since March 31st, we've had 14 community consultations. All of these were closed and all of them resulted in some type of action. And we've had 127 suggestions.

However, since arriving in San Juan, we've had four additional suggestions. 16 of these remain open, and many of these we've taken action on. Some good suggestions. So I encourage you to use this if you have anything that's not policy-related that you'd like for ARIN to consider.

So I'm going to digress for a moment. And I found this slide the other day from 2000, the Calgary meeting. And this is one of the first slides where we talked about ARIN outreach.

And it's rather interesting, if you look through these, and you see down toward the bottom, ARIN attends RIPE and APNIC meetings. This was before LAPNIC and AFRINIC. And at the time we thought we were really busy in the outreach area.

And I brought this slide up in part because I wanted to publicly recognize and thank Richard Jimmerson, who, since this 2000, has done a humongous effort in expanding the ARIN outreach. I think it's appropriate to give him a round of applause.

(Applause.)

So let's see where we've gone since 2000. So outreach and public relations. Why do we do this?  And, again, it's part of ARIN's mission:  To facilitate the advancement of the Internet through education and outreach.

We raise awareness of the key messages, and we'll talk about those in a minute. We provide all types of education.

And we try to reach out to folks in our community, the broad Internet community, outside of those who attend the meetings, outside of those who read PPML, to other users of the Internet who may not know about us but one day may need Internet number resources.

The key messages we bring are about ARIN, the registry system, that we have an open policy development process, and everyone is encouraged to participate.

Obviously the last four years, most of our emphasis has been on IPv4 depletion, the need to adopt IPv6. And then we have other targeted messages for various audiences.

The legacy RSA, 4-byte AS numbers, what's going on there, with some specific examples.

Our audiences are broad. ISPs, obviously. Content providers. But we reached out to equipment, software vendors through some of the larger trade shows, enterprise companies, education research. Internet2 is a meeting we attend frequently. Governments, and then the media and press.

We do this through various presentations. John's on the road quite a bit. Other staff members are on the road. We give presentations. We've published a couple of slide decks on the website. They're for community use. Feel free to download them, show them in your organizations, or if you attend other outreach activities, we welcome you to use these materials.

We also have information, fact sheets we're happy to send you. So just let us know. We conduct media interviews.

From time to time we conduct articles in trade journals. And we attend events. In addition to having a booth, we do reverse exhibiting where we go out and talk to the various vendors.

So this is a list of activities for this year. The recent ones are places we have attended, and there's quite a long list of upcoming events, which takes us through mid fall. So we're still working on the schedule for the rest of the year.

Again, if you know of an event, a meeting where you think ARIN should be a part of it, please let us know. Drop me a line or we have a TeamARIN website, there's a place to request speakers. We're interested of knowing of places where we should be.

We think we do a pretty good job of coverage, but we don't know everything.

Wesley George:  Wes George of Sprint. I would be curious if you could characterize for some of the events that you have listed there that are not specifically about IPv6, the sort of more general industry conferences, especially big ones like Interop, Customer Electronics Show, things like that, what's your sense for how people are responding to the way you're doing your outreach? 

From the perspective of the amount of money that it costs ARIN to do this, and the amount of time investment for the folks who are either -- who are involved in those shows, do we think it's working?  Are people encouraged by the responses they're getting, or has it just been kind of, yeah, we're there, we're talking to people but it doesn't seem to be moving the needle?  Just be curious about that.

Susan Hamlin:  Okay. I think -- I'll give you a couple of specific examples. We went back to the Consumer Electronics Show this year, and I wasn't there personally, but some of the ARIN staff and members of the Advisory Council -- we have one, Owen, standing, he also participates -- talk to several of the same vendors, some of the same people. And people came up to the ARIN booth and said thank you for being here. Last year we listened to you, we heard our message, we understand now the need and we're starting to scramble.

We've had various organizations, one earlier this year, who came up to the ARIN booth -- it was a hotel chain; I won't mention any names -- who happened to get the letter, CEO letter, outreach that we sent a couple years ago on IPv6. He came by the booth to thank us, went back, took it to heart, talked to his internal operations people, and got the process starting.

So we hear -- we don't hear a lot of feedback, but I think through word of mouth that we think it's been a positive thing.

Owen, would you like to add something? 

Owen DeLong:  Owen DeLong, ARIN Advisory Council. I've actually participated in a couple of these events over the years. And in my experience it's tremendously effective. I, as many of you know, in my day job, engage in a fair amount of corporate and personal outreach on IPv6.

And a number of companies that I had contacted in that role that had kind of gone, yeah, we'll get to IPv6 when it becomes important. I ran into some of their representatives at some of these trade shows and said I'm here with ARIN and this is the situation, and suddenly they started to realize that maybe I just wasn't some random person and I might know what I was talking about.

And they started to talk more seriously about what their plans were for v6 and made a clear indication of the fact that they were considering accelerating them.

Game Developers Conference at Moscone a few months ago is one of the outreach events that I participated in. And a certain rather large MMORPG that has publically repeatedly stated yeah, yeah, v6, whatever, when our users actually care, we might look at it, was actually now talking about how far along they are in getting their code base up to doing that and some other things.

And we talked to Sony and they're actually starting to think about it seriously as well. And some of the others.

So it actually is having a real impact. It is actually a very important thing that ARIN is doing, and it's, I think, going to be worth continuing it.

Susan Hamlin:  I would like to thank Owen and other members of the Advisory Council who have generously donated more of their time for these outreach efforts. It's been very effective.

David Williamson:  David Williamson, Microsoft Tellme. I'll just pile onto that. I went to LISA in San Jose last year, and the ARIN booth was pretty crowded and hopping most of the time during the exhibits there.

It seemed like that was a community that historically has not been very warm to thinking about IPv6 in general, and I think it's a group that has a little more awareness. I don't see it on the upcoming events. I'm hoping you're going again this year. I think it's a group that has a lot of influence in the operations space, especially obviously around the USENIX community, and getting them more aware is always beneficial.

John Curran:  So as the guy who often gets on the plane to go somewhere and speak, I am naturally suspicious of the return on investment, particularly of my own time.

And this means that I try only to go to a given event once, unless I know it's a new crowd.

I went to a state meeting, state university system meeting, very large university system. Presented. And then last year I told Richard -- I said, Richard, you're going to go. I'm not going back.

Richard went back and he said the network for the meeting was IPv4- and IPv6-enabled. The webcast was IPv4- and IPv6-enabled. They indicated that the talk that I had given the prior year, quote, from Richard, "John, it seems your talk last year got an entire state university system moving with IPv6." 

I just want to take this opportunity to share that our outreach efforts are definitely working here.

So we've had cases where we can visibly point to where the entire initiative is showing evidence. I can't say we always get that, but we have a lot of anecdotal information that says people are paying attention.

Now, it is a huge planet, folks. I mean, there's a lot of people out there. So to that extent we still have a community slide deck.

Some people I know actually take that and present. I encourage everyone to download the community slide deck, modify it as you see fit, and present it yourself to the associations you're involved in. Because there's no way ARIN can do it cost-effectively just with our staff.

I thank the folks who have done that to date and I look forward to you -- working with to you do it going forward. Thanks.

Susan Hamlin:  Okay. Public relations is another area, and we engaged LEWIS PR in 2009 to help us with our strategy and planning. They helped us launch our social media efforts, and they stay involved with us day to day, monitoring the press, the social media.

They work with us on press releases and in securing media interviews and speaking engagements.

David Farmer:  David Farmer, University of Minnesota, ARIN AC. I wanted to add that I appreciate ARIN making that slide deck available. And I would also add that ARIN is more than happy to send out other presentation materials. Just give Susan a call and ask, and a box of stuff will show up.

So it's not just the slide deck. That's the easiest one. You can pick that up the night before you go someplace and do that, but if you plan a little bit ahead you can get a whole box of pamphlets and goodies from ARIN too.

Susan Hamlin:  Thanks for that plug, David. We'll be happy to send out whatever will facilitate your outreach efforts.

Upcoming media outreach. Obviously we're looking ahead to when ARIN runs out of IPv4. We're changing up our messaging up a little bit this year.

Transfer policies is of greater interest in the community. We still have the IPv6 adoption awareness campaign, still pointing people to our v6 wiki, which gets new information posted regularly.

And we're also talking about the Internet governance process.

Social media at ARIN. We launched our TeamARIN website a year and a half ago. We're out there tweeting every day. We blog occasionally on the microsite.

This is a look at our current Facebook/Twitter followers/fans. Just to note since our last meeting in Atlanta in October we've gained a thousand additional followers on Twitter, and over 500 new Facebook fans.

So we're finding this a good way to reach additional audiences. I'd like to hear from you.

And we hope that some of you have been tweeting during this meeting. This is a look at the home page, the TeamARIN microsite. How many of you have been on the microsite?  Excellent.

This is where we publish where we're going. Outreach events, where we've been. We put presentations. It's been focused last year on IPv6, but it's a broader medium and interest and ideas from you all about things we could be blogging. It seems to be reaching a new and growing audience.

Upcoming ARIN meetings. We will be with NANOG in the fall back-to-back in Philadelphia, and spring 2012 we'll be there Vancouver, and happy to have Comcast and Telus support for those two meetings.

And I'd like to encourage everybody to spread the word about our fellowship program. Application period opens a couple of months before each of those meetings. There's flyers out on the desk right there. And we would like to see more and more applicants.

So now I want to have a little fun and tell you about a contest we're going to be opening in May, which is a photo contest.

So out on the desk you'll see at break some flyers. We encourage everybody to submit photos of where you hope IPv6 will be enabled in the next five years and the most unusual place to see IPv6.

We have plenty of these stickers. You don't have to use this sticker. You can make your own sign. And I'm happy to say that staff is not eligible, because I was fearful that Mark Kosters might try to place a v6 sticker on a goose or duck. So don't do it, Mark.

(Laughter.)

Anyway, you will see more information coming on the TeamARIN site on May 2nd. Submit your photos. The community will judge them. We'll have two winning photos, one in each category, and then we'll have a caption contest. So there's many different ways you can participate.

And last and most important, these are the member services staff. These are the folks that do all this hard work, take care of all these activities.

Einar is back at the office. A shout out to him. And all of us in CMSD have a greater appreciation for his work at these meetings, because we divided up his work six ways. We're all exhausted. So, Einar, can't wait to have you back at Philadelphia.

And Jason, communications strategist, handles our Web work; Dé Harvey, our awesome meeting planner; Jud Lewis, membership coordinator; Hollis Kara, communications manager; Jennifer Bly is our newest member, our outreach coordinator; Sean Hopkins, communications writer; and Erin Sellers, our graphic designer who is not with us because she's expecting her first child in May.

So I just want to publicly thank all of you all for all your hard work.

(Applause.)

And that's it.

John Curran:  Any questions for Susan? 

Thank you, Susan.

(Applause.)

ARIN Updates: Registration Services

John Curran:  Okay. The last department report is Leslie Nobile coming up with the registration services report.

Leslie Nobile:  Good morning, everyone. Okay. So I'll try to be quick. So this is the RSD team. On the left is our senior team:  Cathy, David and Jon. And on the right is our IPV resource analysts:  Doreen, Sue, Mike Lisa and Chad.

A very hardworking team. I don't usually tell people what we do, because I assume you know, because we have what you need.

But I could probably go over it just a bit. We issue all the v4, v6 and ASNs.

We handle all the transfers. We maintain the data in the database, do PSO validation, and run a lot of services like SLTS.

We run a help desk and answer all your phone calls. We are deemed to be the SMEs, and it's a horrible word, but it's "subject matter experts" so it's not so bad when you translate it.

And we provide a lot of support to the other departments because we have a lot of the information that people need and ask for, particularly externally.

So we're always running stats and pulling data and providing all kinds of reports and writing lots of things for CSMD, et cetera, et cetera. So we do a lot, of work. Very hardworking group of people.

Our current focus, of course, IPv4 depletion and IPv6 uptake. We're working hard. We're constantly developing, adapting, and improving our processes and procedures because everything's changing.

The world as we knew it has changed. So we work hard to keep up with it.

We're working hard to keep pace with the increased v6 requests. I have some slides later that I'll show you.

Everything has increased. The lines are all going up. More complex v4 and transfer requests. We're seeing things we haven't seen before, and just really working our way through them.

We implement new policies and services on a pretty continual basis. We do a lot of fraud and noncompliance work. And we reclaim resources where appropriate.

I have a slide on this later, but we get a lot of fraud reports and we research everything. And sometimes there's only one fraud report that's actually something that ARIN can do something about.

But it will contain a list of 15 different blocks of resources that we have to research and get into some real depth on finding out what the situation is.

So we do a lot of work in fraud and noncompliance. And one of the things we recently decided to do was, as a starting point, we're pretty reactive because we have a small staff. There's eight people. So we can do what we can do.

We have a heavy workload. But we want to keep up with the fraud stuff. So we're going to start using our invalid POC list as a starting point.

And as Jon or someone has some time, Jon Worley, our fraud expert, as he has time, he's going to start chipping away and starting to look through those invalid POCs and look at the companies and see maybe these companies are gone. Maybe they're abandoned. Maybe we can't find a successor company. May be a way of just reclaiming space and just updating the database.

So we do plan on starting that. Of course, working on ARIN Online, we've been writing requirements for years now working heavily, very closely with engineering and getting all of this recent work into play. We've worked very well with engineering to get that done.

We're working on bugs, enhancements, new requirements, continually. We do a lot of work in that area.

So to talk about legacy RSA stats, just want to give you a quick update. To date, there's been 988 requests from people wanting to sign the legacy RSA.

We've had 516 signed. There's 148 approved, waiting. They're sort of pending. Typically they check with their legal departments, and there's a bit of back and forth and lag time.

We've got 105 pending, which means we're still reviewing and vetting to make sure that they are who they say they are and that they're authorized to sign the LRSA. 44 have been abandoned. And 175 is this general not required category.

That's just a bunch of sort of junk. It's people that maybe have reassignments or who don't know or who are trying to sign the LRSA and they're not authorized. So we just sort of call it not required.

The total number of resources and organizations covered under the LRSA is right at the bottom. 177 ASNs.

1,441 IPv4 blocks are covered under RSA, which totals out to 8.17 /8 equivalents, and we have 516 different org IDs that are covered under LRSA.

I'm going back really quickly. One quick update. The LRSA FAQ, we recently updated it to encompass some of the questions we're getting from the community.

And we'll continue to tweak it as we get new input. But that is available, and it's been expanded and it answers more questions, if anyone's interested.

Recovered resources. John mentioned this yesterday, and I provided him with a little bit more information. Contrary to popular belief, people do return resources to ARIN on a fairly regular basis.

So we sort of call it -- we divide it into three categories:  Return space is voluntarily returned by a registrant; revoked space is space that ARIN takes back for non-payment of registration fees; and reclaimed space is generally taken back by ARIN staff due to fraud, misappropriation or business dissolution.

So I've got it divided into categories. And as far as return space goes, in /16 equivalents we had 455.84 /16 equivalents returned to us since January 1st, 2005. So in a little over six years.

We had 1,517 ASNs returned. We've revoked due to nonpayment 122.20 /8 -- 16 equivalents, and 4,635 2-byte autonomous system numbers. So we have a nice supply, actually. And we've reclaimed, due to fraud, 7.06 /16 equivalents and 15 ASNs.

That number has gone up since the last time. It was somewhere around four -- three, I don't remember. But it has increased because we have reclaimed resources recently that we found to be abandoned or being used for fraud.

To point out really quickly that return space, under the /16 equivalents, 455, that does include the 254 Interop /16s which bumped up that number quite a bit.

Our current IPv4 inventory. So you all see our counter on our public page every day, and it says we have a little over five /8s available. That's our available pool.

That's what we can issue from that day. That's what's clean and free and ready to go. But we actually have other buckets that we hold behind in different categories.

As John has mentioned, we do a six-month hold on all resources that come back to ARIN. We do a little bit of a cleansing cycle before we recycle them out.

So we have a returned bucket. That's voluntarily returned space. Right now, today, there's 9.22 /16 equivalents sitting in there, sort of waiting for their six-month hold to be up. We have 1.80 /16 equivalents in our revoked bucket, which is what we've reclaimed from people for non-payment.

We have 262.08 /16 equivalents in our held bucket. That's space that has been deregistered from Whois but it's still being routed.

We don't want to reissue it. Before ARIN reissues space, we check blacklists and we also check other RIRs, and we check routing, to see whether it's being routed.

If any of those things, there's a discrepancy, we hold onto it and reclaim it and issue some fresh space, while we still have the luxury. I don't know how long it will last, but that's what we're trying to do in order to get people good space.

Right now, out of that 262 /16 equivalents 254 are the Interop space, as John mentioned is on hold until May 22nd, and the remaining 8.08 /16s are held because they're still being routed and we can't get anybody to stop.

So we do typically contact an upstream ISP and say, wait a minute, there's a discrepancy here. Anyway, that's where we stand with that.

Talking about v4 depletion and v6 uptake:  We've been busy. It was pretty flat, as you can see. IPv4 requests were pretty flat until people woke up this year, around November, December, and said, ah, v4 is running out, I better get more while I can.

You can see the increase. We've just been getting more and more v4 requests. And that little red dot is the date of the IANA exhaustion announcement. And right around that time, the week before, the week during and the week after my staff was working until 11:00 every day keeping up with requests.

We had an incredible number of requests for v4. It was quite interesting.

The interesting thing, though, is v4 addresses that we're issuing -- you look at that line, and it went straight down since February 3rd.

And that is because a new policy kicked in, in which ISPs can only get a three-month supply of IPv4 addresses now, with depletion. Where before they could get a 12-month supply.

We're only give three-month supply, instead of giving those 12s and 13s to the big guys, we're giving smaller amounts. So that explains the downward arrow there.

V6 requests:  V6 requests have been going steadily up pretty much since 2008. And that little line, that sort of dotted line is quite deceptive.

This is year over year. That 2011 is only through March 31st, 2011. And already we've had over 500 v6 requests from ISPs, just in the first three months, whereas, last year, for the whole year, we had just a little over 700.

So that line will be soon straight up in the air. We're receiving many, many v6 requests.

As far as allocations that we're making, again, that line should be straight up, but it is only the first three months of the year.

We've already made a little over 200 in the first three months. Last year we made 400 in the entire year. So we're definitely going to surpass last year.

Those little numbers that you can barely see and I can barely see are the total number of /32s that we issued.

The line in the graph is showing the number of allocations, but those just show the number of 32s which indicates we're issuing larger than the minimum allocation size, typically.

IPv6 assignments issued:  Again, that line should be straight up. We made almost 150 IPv6 assignments in the first three months of the year, and last year for the whole year we made just over 200 IPv6 assignments.

But it's kind of interesting. I can actually see these numbers. In the first three months of this year we've made 89,000 /48s. Assigned 89,000 in just the three months.

And last year we issued, assigned, 67,000 /48s. So we're making -- we're assigning multiple /48s to people this year.

Okay. So people probably want to know how many IPv4 subscriber members actually have IPv6. And the answer, quite simply, is not enough.

There's 3578 IPv4 ISP subscribers today, and out of that number only 2,502, or 70 percent, do not have IPv6 allocations.

So 1,076 out of 3,578, or 30 percent of all IPv4 subscribers have IPv6 address space.

So it's slowly creeping up, but we're not there yet. And that is all I have. Are there questions? 

Martin Hannigan:  Martin Hannigan, Akamai Technologies.

Leslie, how many /24 equivalents were returned in 2010 and how many to date?  Not the aggregate bucket, but specifically 2010 and 2011?  I'm looking for the trend, basically.

Leslie Nobile:  I happen to have that number. I got it last night; I knew someone would ask.

In 2011, from year to year, April to April, 152 separate blocks were returned to ARIN.

Martin Hannigan:  /24 equivalents.

Leslie Nobile:  They were blocks. It actually equates to 16 /16s. Roughly 16 /16s. And in the past 48 months, 281 blocks were returned, and the equivalent was about 29 /16s.

Martin Hannigan:  That includes the Interop numbers, though, right? 

Leslie Nobile:  No, that doesn't include the Interop numbers. So there were 129 returns in 2010 -- 2009 to 2010; 2010 to 2011, 152 returns.

Martin Hannigan:  Someone on staff told me when someone calls to return a block, they actually tell them:  Do you realize you can transfer these blocks for remuneration? 

Leslie Nobile:  John told you that.

Martin Hannigan:  What are the reasons why they return them anyways?  Do they tell you why they're going to give them back regardless?  Is it because they can't transfer them, or is there some other reason? 

John Curran:  So as of May 2010 we've had a transfer policy that would provide for a specified transfer and compensation. And so it's become important to let people be aware of that.

I've had some of those discussions in some of the cases I've been involved in, and they feel it's a community resource and it should be returned back for the sake of the community.

As I said, we make sure they understand that this has a policy that could be monetized. But a lot of people feel very strongly about that.

Martin Hannigan:  Maybe off the top of your head, I won't hold you to a number, but what's the percentage of returned space versus the percentage of outstanding legacy addresses?

John Curran:  No idea. We'd have to go figure it.

Dave Barger:  Dave Barger, AT&T. You mentioned in one of your previous slides the different categories of IPv4 space available.

You had the 5.16 /8s available, which I think we see on the website every day.

But you also mentioned a return bucket, a revoked bucket and a held bucket, and a reasonable amount of address space in each of those buckets.

Could you quickly explain the process of how this address space moves, like from one bucket to another, and ultimately is it going to -- hopefully the majority of it will wind up in the available bucket.

How does that work? 

Leslie Nobile:  So the reality is there's one place we hold it. But we mark it as why it's coming back so that I can keep track of it. It's really in one place, basically, except for that held bucket.

Everything that comes back to ARIN, no matter how it comes back, it's held for six months to clear up filters, et cetera, et cetera. And it's dated. And as it becomes available for reissue, it goes into the inventory bucket, the available bucket.

But before it goes there, staff will check routing. And we use this tool to check blacklists.

And it checks about 110 different lists to see if it's fairly clean space, and we won't put it in -- we'll also check the RIR's databases. When it looks good, we move it over and make it available. So every day those buckets change and they move.

We're typically going from the held bucket, you know, the one bucket into available. However, if it's not good and ready to move on, we're going to put it into that held bucket to hold it longer.

We mark it for six months and then we check it again at the end.

It really goes into one place back into available unless it's still being routed, and then it goes into held for another six months.

Does that make sense? 

John Curran:  So one thing in discussion right now is we know in some parts of the globe where they're running lower on their available inventory, they've actually done things like release space that might have been held because it's less usable or somewhat dirty.

We actually will be looking at the hold policy and trying to figure out how that evolves as we go through the next six months. That's one of the things on the list of items to do.

Because clearly, depending on how fast we go through the current 5.1 /8s in inventory, we don't want to have things end up sitting in these buckets for people to wait for time-out.

Owen DeLong:  Owen DeLong, ARIN AC. On this held bucket, is the content of the held bucket public information so that, for example, Team Cymru could add it to their complete bogons list and make it possible for it to be more expeditiously derouted? 

John Curran:  So I actually think I got this wrong the other day, because I remembered we were going to put it out and make sure it was announced as it was returned or revoked, and we actually did a community consultation on that.

We got back a number of comments that indicated that would be really bad, because publicly announcing that list would effectively be a hunting license to go squat on that address space and use it for spamming, for example.

So we currently actually bring it back in, but we don't announce it until it's about to be put in the available pool, when it's actually to be issued.

So I'm happy to revisit this. The problem is we're having difficulty figuring out a mechanism to publicly announce that this information, that these addresses have been returned, but not encourage misuse of the same resources.

Owen DeLong:  I would say if they're in the held bucket they're already being mis-used and publicly announcing that fact, so that people like Team Cymru can put it into the complete bogon's list and help others to deroute them would be beneficial to the community.

John Curran:  I am all for -- because attitudes and views change -- I'm all for sending the same consultation we sent out last year and seeing if views have changed on this.

But you can argue very well both sides of it.

Owen DeLong:  And then the other question I had is -- or suggestion maybe -- as we start to get to the point where we're obviously going to have to issue from some of these less clean buckets, as it were, I would suggest that we do what we have to do, but advise the people receiving the space that the space they're receiving hasn't completed its cleansing process to our satisfaction, and that they have the option of waiting or going back to the back of the line or whatever we decide in terms of that, if they want to try and hope for cleaner space or taking it as is.

Leslie Nobile:  Makes sense.

Martin Hannigan:  Martin Hannigan, Akamai Technologies. I would ask you to please do not publicize those addresses.

As the first recipient of address space in 23 /8 I can tell you it was extremely expensive for us to clean up these bogon lists that haven't been updated in years. And you'll be shocked at the people that just don't update them.

In fact, when we actually got people to update them, we asked them to stop using them so that the other folks that were going to get assignments from the space could benefit from that.

We're still cleaning up the mess. But people in 23 /8 now should be very happy that we've done this, and we're glad to have done it, but please do not give Cymru the weapon or the bullet for the gun.

Rob Seastrom:  Rob Seastrom, Afilias, ARIN AC, speaking on my own behalf. When is the community going to give up pretending that bogon lists are a good idea? 

John Curran:  Could you restate? 

Rob Seastrom:  There we go. Rob Seastrom. When is the community going to give up pretending that bogon lists are a good idea and do not create more problems than they cause? 

That wasn't a question for you. It was a rhetorical question.

John Curran:  We kind of figured that out.

(Laughter)

John Curran:  Okay. Any other questions for Leslie? 

Scott Leibrand:  Quick comment. Scott Leibrand, ARIN AC. Thank you for going ahead and doing what the community thought you should do on looking at POCs and looking for abandoned resources, even if it shouldn't be policy.

I really like it that ARIN can go ahead and do the right thing on that kind of stuff. Thank you.

John Curran:  Okay.

Leslie Nobile:  Thank you for your time.

John Curran:  Thank you, Leslie.

(Applause.)

John Curran:  Okay. We now have refreshment break, yes, indeed. We have one refreshment break this morning. It's now.

Please come back promptly at 11:00 a.m., we'll pick up with the ARIN Financial Report, the Board of Trustees Report and the Open Microphone. I'll see you folks in 24 minutes.

(Break)

John Curran:  If people would move inside, we'll get started.

Okay. We're resuming the member meeting. And we have three items on the agenda before Open Microphone.

We have the ARIN Advisory Council Report. The ARIN Financial Report and the ARIN Board of Trustees Report.

On the ARIN Advisory Council Report, I'll invite Mr. John Sweeting up to give that now.

ARIN Advisory Council Report

John Sweeting:  Thank you, everybody. Welcome back from the break. Here's a picture of the current Advisory Council.

And on behalf of that Advisory Council, I'd like to thank the community for all their support and ideas that they send to us on PPML and the time they take to come to the meetings and give us their ideas and perspectives and help keep us moving in the right direction.

As well, I'd like to, on behalf of the whole AC, thank the ARIN staff for all their support and give a call-out to Therese, Einar and Misuk, who this year is dealing with us and our travel plans, which is not an easy thing to do.

(Applause.)

John Sweeting:  Moving right along. So the AC role within the PDP. Our role is to evaluate proposals that come in, develop those proposals into sound draft policy, present that policy here at the meetings to the community, determine that the draft policy actually meets community needs and requirements and then recommend draft policy which meets those requirements to the Board of Trustees for adoption.

The year 2010 in review for the AC:  Meetings, we attended two ARIN meetings, three NANOGs, eight other RIR meetings.

We had a very busy year supporting ARIN, and Richard Jimmerson in particular, at 23 different outreach events, which probably adds up to well over a year of volunteer time from the AC just for those outreach events. So I want to thank the AC members for their support on that effort.

Three IETF meetings. And, of course, 12 AC meetings, three in person, nine conference calls.

On the proposal and draft policy activity, we recommended adoption of six draft policies. We abandoned eight proposals and six draft policies.

2011, Report on Proposals and Policies. So far up to this meeting we've had 14 proposals submitted. Three of those proposals were accepted on the docket. Eight were abandoned, and three are pending.

The status of the three that were accepted on the docket is two have been moved along into the Draft Policy status and were presented as part of the six that were presented here at this meeting. And one is currently being developed.

Meetings this year:  There will be two ARIN meetings, which we all attend, three NANOG meetings, which Stacy, Chris Morrow, and we all attend the third one, which is the joint meeting in Philadelphia with ARIN and NANOG.

Two RIPE meetings:  Bill Sandiford and Dan Alexander will be attending the RIPE meetings. Myself and David Farmer will attend the APNIC meetings. Heather and Bill Darte are covering LACNIC this year, and Marc and Rob will be covering the AFRINIC meetings

And this year we have, on the schedule, 11 outreach events to support.

We also support the Fellowship Program for the meetings. We have one participant on the Selection Committee, and then three mentors that actually meet with the fellows that are selected. And they kind of chaperone them around the meeting here and make sure that all their needs are looked after and they know what they're doing, where they're going and kind of explain things as they go through that.

We also support the Outreach Program, which I just said we have 11 different outreach events to work on this year.

Nomination Committee. We put two people on the Nomination Committee -- two people on the nomination committee.

The PDP Committee, we have two people on the PDP Committee:  Myself and Dan Alexander. And then we support just about anything else that ARIN or the community asks us to support.

And that's it. Any questions? 

Seeing no questions.

John Curran:  Thank you.

(Applause.)

John Curran:  So I'd like to now ask up -- he's coming forward -- Paul Andersen, the ARIN treasurer, to give the ARIN Financial Report.

ARIN Financial Report

Paul Andersen:  Good morning. This will be my first report as treasurer. In January, Scott graciously passed me the torch. So I'm now heading up the Finance Committee as well.

Vint Cerf:  Which end did he hand you? 

Paul Andersen:  No comment. So I'd like to be very quick, since I know that I'm standing between you and planes, or more likely the beach.

So there's three things I'd like to go over quickly:  The 2011 budget, have a quick look at our reserves and give a quickup date on what the Finance Committee or FinCom, for short, is doing.

There we go. So first from the expense side. Overall, we have shy of a 10 percent increase in expenses this year.

One of the largest areas we have is, obviously, the personnel side. We have 54 full-time employees. You can see here on the 7.6 million, which includes salaries, bonuses, employee benefits, health insurance, dental, vision, training, the whole nine yards.

The communications is up a little bit this year, about 20 percent. That represents a lot of our infrastructure, such as our colo sites which Mark already talked about a bit earlier on some of the new things he's been doing on the rebuilding.

There's been quite an increase in depreciation. Again, thanks to Mark and his team's work on ARIN Online, that's not been a low-cost project, but it's going to bring a lot of value long term to the organization. We've seen about a 20 percent increase in that.

When we get into the General Office Administration, some of the highlights on changes from this year, outreach has gone up actually again a bit significantly and has been over the last few years. Susan and her department, as you saw -- she spoke earlier -- are going to a ton of events this year, which is some great work for the organization.

Otherwise, everything is pretty much the same with the exception of the last one, which is the NANOG meeting support, which is actually down significantly, and that's because, if we have the next slide, you'll see NewNOG support is a new item this year that's because we only had to support one year under the Merit organization this year, and we are supporting again the two meetings that NewNOG will be taking over.

And that's on top of the support that we've already given them in terms of the loan that we talked about last year.

We do a lot of travel. As you can see, it's a large number, but that actually is down about seven percent this year. And we are continuing to look to make sure we're very judicious in the use of the travel.

The funds committed to ICANN is part -- is an estimate of our support as part of the NRO.

Internet support includes our funding to both ISOC, and this year it is up considerably because also we have some funds we're sending to the ITU as part of our membership there.

Research and development is actually down significantly. The organization is just not doing as much as we have in the past few years. So that's down, about actually 60 percent.

So as you can see, we have about 16 million in expenses. And I'm just going to jump to the next slide to give you kind of a picture here.

So as you can see, as I said earlier, the expenses are up about nine percent. Revenue is expected to be up as well. But as you can see, we do have a bit of a shortfall.

And even with the estimated investment revenue, we base that on a 4 percent yield. We will be looking at drawing from our reserves quite considerably.

And this is the second year in a row that we will be looking at drawing from the reserves.

So that's the budget. Give you a little snapshot of the reserves. You've seen this before. As you know, 2008 was not a great year for many, and not us as well.

The good news was, as you can see from the green in 2009, we pretty much perfectly recovered that.

And last year, although we're still waiting for the audit to be formalized, it does look like we did have a very good year and we're back on the way up.

And then lastly, I just want to give a bit of an update on what the FinCom or Finance Committee has been on.

We are reviewing the suggestions that come to the process. We will be looking at this year at the fee structure, continually making sure it's right for the organization.

Taking a look at the insurance. We deal with the investment auditors -- sorry, the investment advisors, and make sure we make any changes to that.

And we will be preparing and recommending a budget to the Board. One note that I will make that we're not doing this year is that we are no longer really dealing with the audit as we have in previous years, and that's because the Board decided to split that off.

We now have an audit committee that was alluded to. Vint Cerf is now leading that.

So the FinCom is actually not actually dealing with the audit from that standpoint.

And that is everything I have to say, other than to say thank you to Bob Stratton who makes this much easier.

(Applause.)

John Curran:  Any questions? 

Thank you, Paul.

(Applause.)

John Curran:  Okay. Last up, but most important, our chairman of the ARIN Board of Trustees, Timothy Denton, to give the ARIN Board of Trustees report.

ARIN Board of Trustees Report

Tim Denton:  Good morning, everyone.

The report will cover what we have done since Atlanta. Obviously, as Paul showed you, we've reviewed and approved the 2011 budget.

The first thing we do in the new year, in our meeting in January, is to elect our Board officers, which that was done.

And we've impaneled the Board, committees of Finance, Audit and Acceptable Use Policy.

We've revised our bylaws to define the Compensation Committee and to allow for the appointing of a replacement for the president in case of incapacitation or death.

Isn't that charming? 

John Curran:  I'm okay.

Tim Denton:  He's okay. He's robustly healthy. But we thought it would be wise to create a proper role of succession.

As to Registration Services, we have extended the Legacy Registration Services Agreement until the end of this year.

We've responded, in terms of policy, we have responded to the National Telecom Infrastructure for the replacement or succession to the IANA function. This involves what should be the relationship of the IANA function to the United States government.

And, John, is that available in the public domain? 

John Curran:  It was announced on ARIN Announce. It's also on the NTIA, the NTIA website.

Tim Denton:  Those deeply interested in issues of Internet governance may wish to look at it. But it's a perfectly sensible document.

We've appointed Ron da Silva to the ARIN Region Address Supporting Organization Address Council, and we have provided a loan to NewNOG to be a start-up. So that is progressing.

We continually look at our strategic plan to see what we need to do. We are maintaining outreach in relation to IPv6 and education, both directly and via the NRO efforts.

We promote current Internet registry system models, both within and external to the Internet committee.

In other words, we're selling what we do. As a community-driven organization, we maintain the view that this is good for the Internet and that we ought to continue it.

We are accelerating our online registry and automation efforts. That's covered in the engineering report. And we work within the network operator community within ARIN and in other forums.

In terms of policies, we have adopted the following ones, which you can see in the list. And those are noncontroversial and accepted.

I would also like to again to extend our thanks to Richard Jimmerson for the splendid work he did in his time here and we wish him well in his new capacity at ISOC.

And that's the story. Thank you very much.

(Applause.)

Tim Denton:  Are there any questions? 

John Curran:  Any questions? 

Thank you.

(Applause.)

John Curran:  Okay. So out there is sunshine and a beach. In here is a wonderful conference room. We're going to see if we can get you from here to there.

But between us is the Open Microphone. Open Microphone is available for any questions about the organization, anything we've discussed over the last few days. Please approach the microphones.

Open Microphone

John Curran:  The remote participants are also welcome to participate in Open Microphone. Please send your questions. Ask now.

Vint Cerf:  Can I approach the microphone in front of me, since no one else is standing up? 

I had a visit with the geese during the break, and I would like to suggest that we adopt a goose as our mascot.

John Curran:  Okay.

(Laughter)

John Curran:  A wonderful idea. Any other suggestions?  

Rob Seastrom:  Can it be a goose on the back of an engineer? 

John Curran:  A goose on the back of an engineer, yes.

(Laughter)

John Curran:  I see Mark.

Mark Kosters:  I'd like a request for an amendment to Vint's request. And that is that the goose be muzzled and have a little soft thing in front of that beak.

John Curran:  Good thing to know. Safety precautions.

Microphones remain open. I'm going to close the microphones in a moment.

Vint Cerf:  This is the gravitational attraction of an open microphone.

David Williamson:  Actually, Lee Howard couldn't stay for the Open Mic, but he did ask that someone comment on one of the policies that was discussed, being turned into a project.

I believe it was the one about required audits. I'm not sure exactly what his specific intent was, but it did sound like much of that policy didn't need to be policy but it was more of a project.

Would that be something that staff would be willing to take on?  Is that something you'd like to see run through the suggestion process? 

John Curran:  So let me -- I actually spoke to Lee as well, and I can actually phrase that policy versus project issue in a clear manner.

So if you wanted to accomplish the tasks in that policy, with 100 percent success rating, you would need many more staff than we presently have in the organization, potentially more staff than we have collectively in multiple organizations.

Since we can't do that, it's really more of a question of:  How much resources do you want pointed in that direction.

And as such, it's maybe more of a question for the Board and a financial question than it is a policy, because we already do matters -- and having a policy that says to do that, well, we're going to continue to do it, we'll try to do more of it, as actually Leslie reported on a little bit, but there's just -- the goals are potentially unachievable if you try to do them in perfection.

So how close do you want us to get, is really the input that I and the Board need.

To the extent someone has a view of -- think of it this way, how many more people?  What percentage in fee increase, phrase it either way, would you like dedicated to this purpose. That would be helpful in trying to figure out how important it is.

Owen DeLong:  Owen DeLong, Hurricane Electric. I had a number of hallway discussions with people on this various topic yesterday and the day before.

And the general sense that I was getting from a lot of them was that a million dollars a year over one to five years was not outside of the realm of reasonable to dedicate to getting this done.

John Curran:  Okay. That's about a 5 percent, around there, 6 percent. Okay. So I have people at the mics. You're still here, David, center rear mic.

David Williamson:  Speaking on my own behalf instead of Lee.

But more pragmatically I'm actually personally pretty satisfied with the level of effort that's going in now, a slight increase of a few percent would certainly be beneficial.

Anyone who is thinking that returning of addresses as a result of that will be of actual utility, you probably are extending things by about three days. So it's probably not really the point; the point is more just about cleanliness of the environment. And I think that's certainly an admirable goal.

But, again, it's not worth the level of effort required to really achieve it.

John Curran:  Understood.

Far left mic.

Mike Joseph:  Mike Joseph, Google. Are we still debating this topic?  Because I had an unrelated topic.

John Curran:  Either.

Mike Joseph:  On a totally separate topic. One of the concerns that I had, I was considering putting this for ASP, but I thought I'd like to sort of throw it out to the community first.

I noticed as I've gone through cleaning up various Google records in our subsidiaries and also looking through some of the other entities that we interface with, there's quite a bit of stale reallocation reassignment data in the ARIN Whois.

And, unfortunately, the target of the reallocation or reassignment to the reassignee or the reallocationee is unable to actually delete or modify those records.

How would the community feel about allowing ARIN to process deletion requests either via template or ARIN Online, or I suppose REST, from the reassignee? 

So, in other words, if somebody -- if you inaccurately SWIP something to one of my orgs, I ought to be able to delete that if I no longer think it's correct, presumably after I told you.

But I ought not be bound forever to have incorrect data on my org that's now exposed through Whois on my org because you can't update the database.

Thoughts? 

John Curran:  People want to comment on that, approach the mics.

Marty, that or another topic, go ahead.

Martin Hannigan:  Back to your fee comment, John. I don't support increased audits and whatnot. I'm perfectly happy with the level of attention that we currently pay to these things. I'll also note that right now we're at 152 percent in the reserves of operating expense for a year.

I think it's interesting that we would even use the word "fee increase" at all considering that I know I've heard others say that we should be at two times operating expense. This is probably a more appropriate discussion for the treasurer's report.

I think that I'd be more than happy to talk about that proposal and a fee increase at the Philly meeting with all the operators in the room.

Thank you.

John Curran:  Okay. Far right mic.

Owen DeLong:  Owen DeLong, Hurricane Electric. Just to clarify, in the hallway discussions I had, nobody was looking at this as a way to extend the life of v4.

I think everybody pretty well realizes that that ship has long since sailed. They were all looking at it as a way to reduce the probability and potential for fraud and abuse and the number of blocks sitting out there improperly documented and that that was viewed as a good thing and worth pursuing.

Second, to address Mr. Joseph's comment, if ARIN has a lightweight or not overly expensive way to go about verifying the veracity and validity of such requests, I would absolutely support that.

John Curran:  Okay. Good to know. Center mic.

Cathy Aronson:  I have a jabber participation question.

Michael Lambert, Pittsburgh Super Computer Centers asks:  The QuickTime streaming at least wasn't available over IPv6.

Will that be rectified for the next meeting?  And Tony Hain said from what he could tell none of the remote streaming was available via IPv6.

John Curran:  That's something we'll take under advisement. We actually contract for that. And we will try to figure out whether or not we can work with Merit to get that. It's a combination of network connectivity and system capability. Certainly we'll add it to the wish list, because I think that's obviously something we should be looking at.

But I don't want to fortuitously drag another organization into capabilities that it may be working on on its own time frame. But I think a goal of having our sessions broadcast via v6 is actually a laudable goal. So I'll take that under advisement.

Far left.

Chris Morrow:  Chris Morrow, Google. I want to respond to Mike and Owen. I think Owen's on the right track. So I don't support necessarily just like send in a request and delete random data. That sounds bad.

But because I know lots of people would love to delete random data, to repoint their problems to somebody else.

And by their problems, I mean things that they actually cause, not other things.

But if there's some way to validate the requester is actually the org that's, or the entity that's marked in the record, and let the upstream person for the data know, hey, by the way, you should have deleted this, that would be great.

The second item is the YouTubes do the v6 streaming, just so you know.

John Curran:  Good to know.

Chris Morrow:  Apparently according to the news they do live streaming now.

John Curran:  You just happen to know this stuff.

Chris Morrow:  Somebody told me in a Twitter.

John Curran:  Okay. Center mic.

Chris Grundemann:  Chris Grundemann, speaking for the Colorado Chapter of the Internet Society at the moment.

I believe the Whois data, the maintenance of the Whois data, shepherding of the Whois data is one of the most important functions that ARIN does, and that maintaining -- ensuring that that data is clean and accurate is a very important thing for ARIN to continue to do and to maybe increase their efforts in doing.

I don't pay any fees. So I have a hard time recommending spending other people's money. But anything up to and including a 10 percent increase seems fairly reasonable to get it to a state that it should be in.

John Curran:  Point noted. Wish more people had that feeling about other people's money. Yes, center rear mic.

Cathy Aronson:  Another jabber comment. By the way, this laptop is super duper heavy.

Kevin Oberman from ESnet said:  Video of slides is often unreadable. In the future, would it be possible to have slides available in downloadable format or fed into the video in a manner that would allow them to be readable more of the time. The digital-to-analog analog-to-digital chain is really ugly.

John Curran:  Okay. We do have -- usually we have all the slides available downloaded, either PDF or PowerPoint.

But sometimes we have places where you'll go to an agenda and you won't see the link because there's a separate page that has the links to the slides.

I had someone else report that to me. But it's our goal to have all the slides downloadable. I think we had all the slides available. They need to go to the main agenda and work their way down from there. They should be able to find the slides being presented.

But it's also a very good point. I don't know why the slides aren't readable over the session. But we can double-check a little bit into that as well. But at least they are downloadable.

All right. I am going to be closing the mics, remote and local, in about a minute. Last chance.

John Sweeting:  John Sweeting, ARIN Advisory Council. This is really just an announcement or a reminder to, I don't want to put a damper on everything, but the AC members, 30 minutes after John adjourns this meeting, we will begin our meeting in Conference Rooms 3 and 4 on the second level. Thank you.

John Curran:  Right. See, the privileges that come with being elected to the AC.

Microphones are closing. I see David. Go ahead.

David Farmer:  David Famer, University of Minnesota, ARIN AC.

There's been a number of comments back and forth about what the right level is and I'd like to see discussion. But it's not just about cleaning up the records for cleaning up the records sake.

Cleaning up these records and those records are an important part of having a functioning address market occur. If you cannot verify who is valid to transfer, you can't have a transfer.

So the folks that want to try to monetize their addresses, it's in your interests to get these records cleaned up.

John Curran:  Okay. Good to know. All right. Last call on the mics. Last call on open -- on remote participants. Yes, Cathy? 

Cathy Aronson:  Only if we had an iPad 2.

Okay. Joe Maimon, CHL. Burn rate is not consistent -- constant. Policy and environmental changes can have a significant effect, in particular, 4.10 burn rate is quite slow. Reclamation efforts should be sized appropriately for when they make a real difference.

And he said he did get -- never mind.

John Curran:  Got it. Okay. Excellent comment. Last chance, remote participants. Last chance at the microphones. Going once. Going twice. Okay. End of open mic.

Thank you, everyone.

Closing Announcements and Adjournment

John Curran:  Okay. This is our adjournment. I want to remind everyone a couple of things. You have surveys. Remote participants and people in the room, you have surveys. Fill out your surveys.

I'd like to thank our network sponsor, AT&T.

(Applause.)

We also want to tell people, for folks participating in the ICT Roadshow and CaribNOG those are happening today at 1:30. Registration desk is on the second floor.

We're working with them as a sponsor. Very happy to be able to do that, and for the people participating in the Caribbean Network Operators Group.

Check your bill. You shouldn't be billed for in-room wireless connectivity. So if you have something on your bill on your checkout, we've already included that in the rates we negotiated.

So please check it. You shouldn't be charged. Okay. Thank you for being part of ARIN, and see you in Philadelphia.

Turn your lanyards, these little recyclable lanyards, in at the bowl along with your surveys on the way out. Thank you.

(Proceedings adjourned at 11:35 A.M.)