Your IP address could not be determined at this time.

ARIN Public Policy Meeting Day 2 Summary Notes - 11 April 2006

Call to Order and Announcements

Speaker: Ray Plzak, ARIN President and CEO

Transcript

Ray Plzak opened the second day of the ARIN Public Policy Meeting at 9:07 AM EDT. He thanked ARIN XVII network connectivity, ARIN social, and Cyber Café sponsor Teleglobe, a VSNL International Company. Teleglobe received assistance in its sponsorship from Bell Canada, Cisco Systems, Dell, and Force 10 Networks.

Ray reviewed the rules of discussion to be followed throughout the meeting, the meeting agenda, and relevant meeting information. He reminded those in attendance of the importance of being subscribed to the Public Policy Mailing List to raise and discuss policy-related topics.

Ray also stated that in John Curran's absence, Scott Bradner as Board Secretary and Vice Chair would moderate discussions throughout the day

At the beginning of the meeting, approximately 118 people were in attendance.

[ARIN offered the opportunity for remote participation throughout the meeting. Comments from remote participants were read aloud at the meeting and are integrated into the meeting report.]

Words from Sponsor

Speaker: Henri Alexandre, Teleglobe Vice-President of Network Engineering

Presentation: PDF PPT Transcript

Ray Plzak introduced Henri Alexandre of Teleglobe, a VSNL International Company, to welcome attendees to Montréal as the sponsor of the ARIN XVII network connectivity, ARIN social, and Cyber Café.

AFRINIC Update

Speaker: Adiel Akplogan, AFRINIC CEO

Presentation: PDF PPT Transcript

Adiel Akplogan presented the report on AFRINIC's activities.

Highlights:

  • This meeting coincides with AFRINIC's one-year anniversary of being fully recognized by ICANN.
  • There has been significant growth in the number of requests to AFRINIC, and in the number of LIRs since 2004. This growth in LIRs represents not only small members, but larger allocations and assignments as well.
  • Financially, AFRINIC is on a firm footing, with expectations of a sufficient reserve to take over all AFRINIC operations at the end of 2006. This year, AFRINIC is already funding fifty-percent of the budget for operations in South Africa in addition to the budget for operations out of Mauritius.
  • Training and outreach efforts across Africa have been successful, and awareness about the RIR and resource allocations has produced positive results. In addition to training held around the AFRINIC region, AFRINIC has produced, with the help of ARIN, a computer-based training module on how to interact with AFRINIC, how to use AFRINIC's WHOIS database, and get requests fulfilled. This is available from the website and on CD-ROM in English currently, and a version in French will be ready soon.
  • AFRINIC continues with operational improvements in the form of database cleanup, infrastructure improvements, staff hires, and work on a member portal.
  • Other activities include outreach to other organizations, including an MoU with AfNOG and different educational groups. AFRINIC also became a sector member of the ITU-D to better participate in Internet-related discussions in our region and raise awareness among policy makers.

There were no questions or comments from the floor.

APNIC Update

Speaker: Save Vocea, APNIC Policy Development Manager

Presentation: PDF PPT Transcript

Save Vocea presented the report on APNIC's activities.

Highlights:

  • Provided information on current and recent policy discussions and outcomes.
  • Currently designing new streamlined procedures for resource requests, membership, and more. In addition, the APNIC home page has been redesigned for faster loading.
  • Training efforts have included IRM courses, Routing and DNS workshops. Also, an eLearning effort is underway to provide online training to the APNIC community. Training for APNIC staff has also taken place, with Jordi Palet Martinez holding an IPv6 "Train the Trainers" workshop for APNIC in May.
  • Facilitated a workshop for RIR staff on resource certification using X.509 certificates.
  • Other Secretariat activities include a VoIP implementation, investigating a test group for a "Debogon" project, and release of MyAPNIC lite for faster access to IP resource portal. Other activities include multimedia APNIC information, research activities, and the ICONs online portal for ISPs.
  • Outreach has focused on operator groups, IPv6 Summits, Internet governance discussions, and the Pan Asia ICT R&D grants program.

There were no questions or comments from the floor.

LACNIC Update

Speaker: Raúl Echeberría, LACNIC CEO

Presentation: PDF PPT Transcript

Raúl Echeberría presented on LACNIC's activities.

Highlights:

  • There has been continued growth in IPv4 allocations in the region, and IPv6 allocations have been growing steadily with allocations having been made in most countries within the LACNIC region. Membership has also increased.
  • Conducted an IPv6 Tour that consisted of 10 meetings in 10 different cities and countries, as well as many other outreach efforts to promote the information society and the growth of the Internet. This is due in part to the fact that not many other organizations can fulfill this role across the entire LACNIC region.
  • RAICES Project is proceeding well. Its goal is to deploy root servers in Latin America. The first root server in this project was installed in Chile last December, with three more planned for this year with one each in Venezuela, Argentina, and Panama.
  • FRIDA Program consists of 26 research projects being funded covering social impact, public policies and regulation, and technical projects. LACNIC is preparing the Frida II Program for this year.
  • Working with many groups and organizations in outreach and coordination efforts, including ISOC, the Latin American IPv6 Forums, CLARA, ccTLDs, and the IPv6 Task Force. Also organized three thematic meetings being held in Uruguay, Bolivia, and Columbia, and supported two news communities in the LACNIC region: NAPS and Security.
  • eLAC-2007 is a set of verifiable goals related to the development of the Information Society in the Latin American and Caribbean region. It was the result of the regional conference in 2005 in Río de Janeiro. eLAC-2007 includes 70 goals and LACNIC has activities that directly contribute with the achievement of 25 of the eLAC-2007 goals.

There were no questions or comments from the floor.

RIPE NCC Update

Speaker: Axel Pawlik, RIPE NCC Managing Director

Presentation: PDF PPT Transcript

Axel Pawlik presented a report on RIPE NCC's activities.

Highlights:

  • Documentation updates have included the IPv4 Policy Document, as a result of recent policy changes, text and web request forms have been updated for improved clarity, and a number of IPv6 documents will be updated this month.
  • Training course material has been totally revised, including rewritten LIR and RR courses and a new course called "DNS for LIRs."
  • Outreach activities have included reaching out to new audiences, piggy-backing onto third party events, and RIR coordination.
  • RIPE NCC E-Learning Centre features a course titled "Using the Whois Database," and development work is being done on three others dealing with policy, the database, and DNS.
  • Infrastructure improvements include implementation of VoIP, ongoing replacement of networking equipment, and work on replacement of the ticketing system.
  • In addition to regular meetings, RIPE NCC has recently held a Regional Meeting in Qatar, with others planned for Moscow and Bahrain.

There were no questions or comments from the floor.

IANA Activities Report

Speaker: David Conrad, IANA General Manager

Presentation: PDF Transcript

David Conrad started by explaining IANA's organizational structure and then presented information on current IANA statistics, Vancouver ICANN meeting issues status, IANA projects, and goals for the next meeting.

Highlights:

  • IANA currently has a large number of projects either being considered or being implemented and during implementation, some functions may continue to be sub-optimal. Improving IANA's performance, responsiveness, and consistency is the goal.
  • Presented a draft of a proposed IANA Home Page redesign, available at http://test.iana.org, and invited all interested parties to participate or provide feedback.
Discussion Overview [Transcript]
  • Some discussion took place about the nature of how IANA is contacting people regarding outstanding port requests.
  • A question was asked about the possibility of external structured data and the signing of that data. David Conrad responded that was certainly a goal and that he was looking for XML experts to assist in formatting the data in XML.

NRO Activities Report

Speaker: Raúl Echeberría, NRO Chair and LACNIC CEO

Presentation: PDF PPT Transcript

Raúl Echeberría began his presentation with an overview of the formation of the Number Resource Organization (NRO), its structure and the current NRO Executive Council (EC) and officers. He also described how the NRO Number Council fulfills the role of the Address Supporting Organization's Address Council and described its structure, its roles, and its responsibilities. He concluded his background information by providing information about the Coordination Groups that the NRO EC established for Communications and Engineering, and noted that as ARIN is acting as the NRO Secretariat for 2006, ARIN staff chaired these groups. In addition, ARIN Counsel is acting as coordinator of the NRO legal team.

Raúl then went on to provide information about the main areas of focus currently for the NRO and these included: procedural issues; Internet governance; NRO incorporation; and the IANA Services Contract.

There were no questions or comments from the floor.

Internet Governance Forum (IGF)

Speaker: Lynn St.Amour, Internet Society President and CEO

Presentation: PDF PPT Transcript

Lynn St.Amour's presentation began with an overview of the World Summit on the Information Society, as the Internet Governance Forum is a direct outgrowth from it, and provided information on the key results. She went on to describe some of the differing views on what the IGF should involve, and the motivations behind those viewpoints. Her presentation included information on how the IGF was to be structured and that its first meeting was set to begin in late October 2006 in Athens, with a total of five meetings held over five years possible.

She described efforts by ISOC and other organizations to provide feedback into the IGF, with a number of groups submitting suggestions for the IGF Advisory Council, which will be made up of twenty government representatives, ten private sector representatives, and ten representatives from civil society. She also detailed what should be considered as success criteria for the IGF from the Internet community.

She concluded her presentation by noting that this was not the end of the process, only the beginning, and that there are several possible outcomes based on how things proceed.

Discussion Overview [Transcript]
  • It was noted that this should be an area of high concern for everyone present and in the community at large, and that continued attention and participation is of paramount importance.
  • A question was raised about avenues of participation available to those that are not government representatives or part of a major multinational telecommunication company. Lynn replied that private sector participates through the International Chamber of Commerce, and that in addition, if anyone would like to participate but doesn't know how to go about it, they can send her e-mail. Her address is available on the ISOC website at http://www.isoc.org.

Policy Proposal 2006-3: Capturing Originations in Templates

Speaker: Sandra Murphy, Proposal Author

Introduction: PDF PPT
Presentation: PDF PPT
Transcript

Ray Plzak presented an introduction to the proposal. Highlights included:

  • Advisory Council shepherds: Mark Kosters and Suzanne Woolf
  • Introduced on PPML on February 9, 2006, designated as a formal policy on February 17, 2006. This was the first meeting where this proposal was discussed. It has not been revised since being introduced.
  • Presentation of Staff Impact Analysis, Legal Review, Staff Comments, and overview of PPML discussion activity. [see presentation and transcript links above for details]

Sandra Murphy, as the proposal author, continued with the presentation of the proposal. She began by providing a background for the proposal, explaining that this was the result of discussions among several groups about the need to secure the routing infrastructure. From these discussions came the idea of adding a field to the ARIN templates to collect AS numbers that the prefix mentioned in the template are permitted to announce and then publish this in a collected list. She went on to explain the actual text of the proposal, what templates would be impacted, the lack of validation needed by ARIN, and how ARIN would distribute this data. She concluded by addressing possible questions about the differences and similarities between this approach and the PKI certification of resources that had been discussed in a tutorial on Sunday and a panel discussion on Monday.

Discussion Overview [Transcript]
  • Some voiced opposition to the proposal due to a feeling the same results could be achieved through less effort by improving the interface for the Internet Routing Registry (IRR) and/or implementing certification of resources. Others responded that they liked it because it seemed a simpler solution.
  • Concern was voiced about this being an optional field and thus being an ineffective change.
  • Further discussion focused on the differences between this proposal and certification of resources, possible conflicts between these systems, and how best to proceed, as well as technical issues involved in its possible implementation.
  • Discussion also occurred about the incompleteness of the information required by the proposal if the goal was securing the routing infrastructure.
End of Discussion:

Scott Bradner took a straw poll to determine the consensus of the room. There was no consensus to move the policy proposal forward. There was consensus in the room on a separate question about whether ARIN should play a role in this area.

Policy Proposal 2006-5: IPv4 Micro-allocations for anycast services (temporary)

Speaker: David Williamson, Proposal Author

Introduction: PDF PPT
Presentation: PDF PPT
Transcript

Ray Plzak presented an introduction to the proposal. Highlights included:

  • Advisory Council shepherds: Suzanne Woolf and Matt Pounsett
  • Introduced on PPML on February 10, 2006, designated as a formal policy on February 17, 2006. This was the first meeting where this proposal was discussed. It has not been revised since being introduced.
  • Presentation of Staff Impact Analysis, Legal Review, Staff Comments, and overview of PPML discussion activity. [see presentation and transcript links above for details]

David Williamson, as the proposal author, continued with the presentation of the proposal. David began by talking about the intent and intended impact of the proposal. He stated that the intent was to provide a method for organizations that wish to deploy an anycast service and don't qualify under existing policy to receive space. He also noted that this proposal is similar to the proposal that was introduced at the previous meeting and abandoned, but that he had worked to address the perceived abuse issues. David went on to describe some of the assumptions the proposal was based on and identified those who he believed would benefit from it. He said that part of the impact of the proposal would be more efficient use of resources as companies could get the smaller blocks they needed, rather than being forced to request larger amounts if they could justify it.

David also talked about some experimentation that was done, in response to feedback that any /24 would work for this, and those experiments showed generally any random /24 was routable, but that doesn't necessarily equate with global Internet penetration. There is still a need to have at least a /22 or shorter prefix in order to really have global routability. In conclusion, he addressed some of the issues still present in this proposal, noting though that as the policy is temporary, any problems could be addressed and wouldn't be permanent.

Discussion Overview [Transcript]
  • Concern was expressed about the terminology used in the proposal that seemed to guarantee routability, and how this was something ARIN couldn't really do. Other concerns included: the ability to recover the allocated prefixes once the policy lapsed and was not renewed, especially since how these allocations would be handled when the policy lapses is not addressed; the need for a limit of one of these per organization; the limit of handing out only sixteen of these seemed overly arbitrary without any rationale for that number provided; and that if anycast is already working there should be no need for this special policy.
  • There were expressions of support for the idea of allowing a current address holder to justify the use of a single /24 for anycast users among their existing allocation or assignment - thus allowing ARIN to ignore the utilization requirement when the organization came back and requested more space.
  • A discussion occurred about the merits of this proposal if the real problem was provider independent space, regardless of the protocol used, that couldn't be justified for a technical reason. David responded at the end of this discussion that if he had thought there was support for moving the PI space minimum from /22 to /24, he would have proposed that, but he was attempting something smaller and more focused that he hoped would pass.
  • Additional discussions occurred focusing on the appropriateness of the proposal to fix what could be viewed as a routing issue. There was also a suggestion that ARIN could allocate these /24s out of existing swamp space.
End of Discussion:

Scott Bradner took a straw poll to determine the consensus of the room. There was no consensus to move the policy proposal forward.

Policy Proposal 2006-2: Micro-allocations for Internal Infrastructure

Speakers: Jason Schiller and Chris Morrow, Proposal Authors

Introduction: PDF PPT
Presentation: PDF PPT
Transcript

Ray Plzak presented an introduction to the proposal. Highlights included:

  • Advisory Council shepherds: Stacy Taylor and Bill Darte
  • Introduced on PPML on February 9, 2006, designated as a formal policy on February 17, 2006. This was the first meeting where this proposal was discussed. It has not been revised since being introduced.
  • Presentation of Staff Impact Analysis, Legal Review, Staff Comments, and overview of PPML discussion activity. [see presentation and transcript links above for details]

Jason Schiller, as the proposal author, continued with the presentation of the proposal. Jason began by summarizing the intent of the policy, stating that it aims to allow for a small additional noncontiguous IPv6 address block which will be used by internal infrastructure, meaning primarily loopbacks but it could be extended to additional things. His presentation continued with an explanation that this proposal attempts to address the BGP convergence issue that causes three-minute blackholing due to BGP next-hops being not out of a noncontiguous aggregate and also addresses some security considerations.

Jason then provided some detailed information on the technical routing aspects of the policy proposal for IPv6, and how that compares with how this is handled in IPv4.

Chris Morrow provided some information on the security considerations the proposal addresses, stating that this proposal would help ensure the protection of network equipment by not letting the address space leak beyond our own networks. He also stated that it addresses issues like renumbering and providing better control of internal networks. He concluded his presentation by discussing the issue of private address space, stating that private addresses are not appropriate for a number of reasons and that a public Internet network using private addresses internally may create confusion if trace routes contain private addresses. He added there was also always the risk of announcing private space globally, and that this risk is generally worse than allowing globally unique space to leak out.

Jason concluded his part of the presentation by saying he would accept most, if not all, of the suggestions made on PPML into the proposal.

Discussion Overview [Transcript]
  • A point was raised that the unique local space, not guaranteed to be unique, is only half of the space that has been specifically set aside. There was a section of IPv6 address space that was intended to be registered space for services like this, and this proposal could be resurrected within the IETF and used specifically to solve this problem.
  • Concerns raised included that this seems that it could also be solved by vendors fixing code in current equipment, statements being added to ARIN policy about what can and cannot be routed, and this could be better addressed through routing protocol implementation solutions from the IETF.
  • A question was raised about the possibility of simply issuing a /48 when you get a new ASN and not having the requirement to announce it under a single aggregate. Jason responded that this had been considered in part, but that they were working in terms of PA space, not PI space.
End of Discussion:

Scott Bradner took a straw poll to determine the consensus of the room. There was no consensus to move the policy proposal forward. There was consensus for supporting the policy proposal with changes.

NRO NC Report

Speaker: Martin Hannigan, Member of ASO Address Council

Presentation: PDF PPT Transcript

Martin Hannigan explained the organization of the Number Resource Organization Number Council (NRO NC), its functions and its status on several activities.

He explained that the NRO NC fills the role of the ASO AC, and as part of that role it: advises the ICANN Board on addressing policy; reviews global IP address policy proposals; and appoints two ICANN Board of Director Members.

Highlights included:
  • Current ARIN region representatives are Sandy George, Martin Hannigan, and Louis Lee. Sandy and Louis were elected, and Martin was appointed by the ARIN Board of Trustees.
  • Activities included:
    • Engaged process for nominee eligibility
    • Submitted processes to the NRO EC
    • Early awareness of IPv6 global policy
    • Worked on global policy process due to the NRO EC
    • Appointed Sandy George to the ICANN nomination committee
  • Regarding ICANN Board of Director appointments, the recently ended nomination period resulted in a list of nominees. The nominees who responded were reviewed by the Chair and forwarded to the nominee eligibility working group. The list of eligible nominees was posted and a period of public comment is now underway. The appointment will be made on May 3, 2006.
  • There will be an ASO AC meeting at the upcoming RIPE meeting and at the ICANN meeting in Latin America.
Discussion Overview [Transcript]
  • A question was raised about the ASO's ability to reopen nominations. Ray Plzak responded that the ICANN bylaws are very specific about when this appointment has to be made and when the appointee is to assume their position. A follow-up question was asked about the potential outcome of the ASO not making an appointment because of negative comments on all the nominees. Ray responded that ICANN staff would need to answer that.

Open Microphone

Moderator: Scott Bradner, ARIN Board Secretary and Vice Chair

Transcript

[see transcript link above for details]

  • The following topics were discussed:
    • Moving the minimum prefix size of a /22 for end-users to /24
    • Further discussion of whether ARIN should be doing something specifically to address allocations for anycast. An informal poll of the sense of the room was taken. A majority of those expressing an opinion favored doing something in this area. On the informal question of ARIN handling anycast differently for IPv4 and IPv6, a slight majority of those expressing an opinion favored treating them the same.
    • Revisited the discussion of residential customer privacy. An informal poll of the sense of the room was taken. There was a clear majority in favor of allowing residential customers to indicate to ARIN, directly or indirectly, that their information should not be published.
    • There was a request for the sense of the room on whether Randy Bush, Geoff Huston, and George Michaelson should continue with their efforts regarding PKI certification of resources. Some discussion on this topic ensued, followed by an informal show of hands. A majority of those expressing an opinion favored this work.

Closing Announcements and Adjournment

Speaker: Ray Plzak, ARIN President and CEO

Transcript

Ray Plzak made closing announcements, reminded the attendees about the Members Meeting starting the next morning and adjourned the Public Policy Meeting at 4:52 PM EDT.