Your IP address could not be determined at this time.

ARIN XII Members Meeting Minutes - 24 October 2003

Announcements and Call to Order

Presentation (Read-only): PDF PPT

Ray Plzak opened the meeting at 09:15 CDT with thanks to the sponsors, Server Central and ANet.

NRO MOU Signing

John Curran, ARIN Board of Trustees, made a statement about the importance of the NRO. The CEOs of all four Regional Internet Registries signed the Memorandum of Understanding to create the Number Resource Organization.

Elections - Nomination Committee Report

David Conrad, Nomination Committee Chair, gave a report on the activities of the 2003 Nomination Committee for the Board of Trustees elections. He thanked the seven-member committee as well as Susan Hamlin, Richard Jimmerson, and Megan Kruse for their assistance. He also thanked all of the members that nominated candidates for the Board.

Elections - Voting Procedures

Presentation (Read-only): PDF PPT

Susan Hamlin, ARIN Director of Registration Services, described the voting procedures for the Board of Trustees and Advisory Council elections. Voting will open Monday, October 27, at 09:00 EST and close 7 days later at 09:00 EST on November 3. Election results will be announced November 10, 2003, to the arin-announce mailing list and the ARIN website.

There are two (2) open seats on the Board of Trustees and eight (8) open seats on the Advisory Council.

Biographies of each candidate as well as statements of support are available on ARIN's website.

Voters must be the designated member representative. After an online vote is cast, the voter must respond to a confirmation e-mail that is sent to the representative's e-mail address. Once a vote is confirmed, ARIN staff verifies the organization's membership status before counting the vote.

Election - Advisory Council Nominees

Presentation (Read-only): PDF PPT

All candidates in attendance were invited to present their qualifications in a short speech to the audience. Candidates that presented their qualifications were:

  • Paul Andersen - present, introduced himself and offered a statement on his qualifications
  • Leo Bicknell - present, introduced himself and offered a statement on his qualifications
  • Dave Diller - present, introduced himself and offered a statement on his qualifications
  • Andrew Dul - present, introduced himself and offered a statement on his qualifications
  • Dale Finkelson - present, introduced himself and offered a statement on his qualifications
  • Mark Kosters - present, introduced himself and offered a statement on his qualifications
  • Chris Liljenstolpe - present, introduced himself and offered a statement on his qualifications
  • Kevin Martin - present, introduced himself and offered a statement on his qualifications
  • Cleveland Mickles - not present, biography URL offered
  • Lea Roberts - present, introduced herself and offered a statement on her qualifications
  • Steve Rubin - not present, biography URL offered
  • Robert Seastrom - present, introduced himself and offered a statement on his qualifications
  • Stacy Taylor - present, introduced herself and offered a statement on her qualifications

For those candidates not in attendance, Ray Plzak read each candidate's statement of motivation to run for the AC and encouraged voters to view the online biographies.

Election - Board of Trustees Nominees

Presentation (Read-only): PDF PPT

All candidates in attendance were invited to present their qualifications in a short speech to the audience. Candidates that presented their qualifications were:

  • Scott Bradner - present, introduced himself and offered a statement on his qualifications
  • John Curran - present, introduced himself and offered a statement on his qualifications
  • David Kelly - not present, biography URL offered
  • Paul Vixie - not present, biography URL offered

For those candidates not in attendance, Ray Plzak read each candidate's statement of motivation to run for the Board and encouraged voters to view the online biographies.

Department Reports

ARIN department directors presented status reports on their respective department's accomplishments and goals.

Human Resources & Administration

Presentation (Read-only): PDF PPT
Mary K. Lee, ARIN Director of Human Resources and Administration

Business

Presentation (Read-only): PDF PPT
Bob Stratton, ARIN Director of Business

Engineering

Presentation (Read-only): PDF PPT
Ginny Listman, ARIN Director of Engineering

Member Services

Presentation (Read-only): PDF PPT
Susan Hamlin, ARIN Director of Member Services

Registration Services

Presentation (Read-only): PDF PPT
Leslie Nobile, ARIN Director of Registration Services

ARIN Advisory Council Report

Presentation (Read-only): PDF PPT
Chair and Presenter: Alec Peterson

Alec Peterson presented a report on the ARIN Advisory Council.

Existing proposals

2002-2: Experimental Internet Resource Allocations
There was consensus for adoption on PPML and at the ARIN XII Public Policy Meeting. Minor changes were made, including an explicit statement that the allocation must be returned at the end of the experiment.

2002-3: Micro-Assignments and Allocations for Multihomed Networks
There was consensus for adoption, and the proposal will be moved to final call.

2003-3: Residential Customer Privacy
There was consensus for adoption, and the proposal will be moved to final call.

2003-4: IPv6 Policy Changes
There was not sufficient consensus as proposed. An AC discussion group is working on changes based on community input during the ARIN XII Public Policy Meeting open microphone session.

2003-5: Distributed Information Server Use Requirements
There was consensus for adoption, and the proposal will be moved to final call with minor changes.

2003-9: WHOIS Acceptable Use Policy
Advice from ARIN counsel was that it is not appropriate for the public policy community to develop language in legal terms. The Advisory Council will work with the author to address this issue.

2003-10: Apply the HD Ratio to All Future IPv4 Allocations
There was not sufficient consensus as proposed. An AC discussion group has been formed to consider the issues raised by this proposal, which has been abandoned. The AC will solicit discussion on PPML.

2003-11: Purpose and Scope of WHOIS Directory
There was not sufficient consensus as proposed. An AC Abuse discussion group will work on the issues raised by this proposal, which has been abandoned.

2003-12: IANA to RIR Allocation of IPv4 Address Space
There was consensus for adoption, and the proposal will be moved to final call with minor changes related to confusion about “necessary space.”

2003-13: Six Month Supply of IP Addresses
There was consensus for adoption, and the proposal will be moved to final call.

2003-14: Remove /13 Maximum Allocation
There was consensus for adoption, and the proposal will be moved to final call.

2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region
There was consensus for adoption, and the proposal will be moved to final call.

2003-16: POC Verification
There was not sufficient consensus as proposed. An AC Abuse discussion group will work on the issues raised by this proposal, which has been tabled.

Other AC work

A cable discussion group within the ARIN AC will discuss issues facing Multiple Service Operators (MSOs). The group will identify the problems it wishes to solve at the next AC meeting.

The AC recommended that the Board of Trustees consider the following issues of key signing key management: legal liability, required staff resources, and whether or not the ARIN Bylaws preclude ARIN's participation.

General Comments:

  • William Leibzon asked how policy proposal 2003-15 will be modified in conjunction with 2002-3. Alec responded that the two policies are not mutually exclusive. Both policies passed and will not be combined.

ARIN Board Report

Chairman and Presenter: John Curran

John Curran presented a report on the activities of the ARIN Board of Trustees.

Actions over the last 6 months:

  • Policies 2003-5 and 2002-6 were ratified and passed to ARIN staff for implementation
  • The Board continues to develop the new Internet Resource Policy Evaluation Process
  • The Board has been working on administrative issues such as updating the Registration Services Agreement, defining what constitutes a "member in good standing," and developing a list of conflicts of interest related to ARIN elections
  • The Board decided against involving ARIN in the Key Signing Key Management
  • The Board continues to practice fiduciary oversight of ARIN. The Finance Committee's charter has been updated. The Board has also been working on the 2004 budget

There were no questions from the floor.

Financial Report

Presentation (Read-only): PDF PPT
Treasurer and Presenter: Lee Howard

Lee Howard presented a report on ARIN's finances.

The Finance Committee has been restructured based on SEC guidelines for for-profit organizations. Though ARIN is a nonprofit organization, the Board agreed to adhere to more stringent guidelines even though it is not required. The Finance Committee now has the authority to hire and fire auditors and to request a second opinion on an audit and ARIN's books at ARIN's expense. In addition, no member of the Finance Committee may be compensated by ARIN. In following these new guidelines, the members of the Finance Committee are now Lee Howard, Scott Bradner, and David Conrad. Ray Plzak now serves as a liaison to the Finance Committee.

The Finance Committee has been working on the following items:

  • Preparing a draft 2004 budget
  • ARIN's insurance
  • Updating the RSA
  • Monitoring ARIN's investments
  • Monitoring ARIN's overall financial position
  • Reviewing the FY2002 Audit Report

The FY2002 Audit, approved by the Board on July 21, 2003, was presented and is available online.

ARIN now has 37 employees. Personnel costs include all associated employee benefits such as comprehensive leave time, health insurance, 401k, payroll taxes, training and education, dental insurance, employee functions, vision, and life insurance.

In response to discussions on public mailing lists regarding travel expenditures, Lee stated that actual and budgeted expenses are significantly less than the oft-quoted figures. ARIN staff attends meetings throughout the year, including IETF, RIPE, APNIC, LACNIC, NANOG, ITU, AFRINIC, ICANN, WSIS, ISOC, GSM, IPv6 Forums, and Industry Canada.

Other travel expenses include attendance at all ARIN meetings and applicable ARIN-related meetings by the Board of Trustees, the Advisory Council, ARIN's legal counsel, and the ARIN-elected members of the ASO AC. ASO AC representatives from the ARIN region also attend some ASO meetings.

Renewal revenue is declining slightly due to bankruptcies and decreased collections.

All other registration revenue is flat for 2003. Projections for 2004 are slightly lower.

ARIN has now surpassed its targeted one year reserve capital, as was instructed by its membership and is working to bring operating expenses in line with operating income.

There were no questions from the floor.

Open Microphone

Moderator: Ray Plzak

General Comments:

  • Bill Woodcock stated that ARIN's reserves are larger than the one year operating budget. He further stated that while it is ultimately up to the Board of Trustees to decide how to proceed, they would like some feedback from the membership. He suggested that one option is to change ARIN's current fee structure to be more in line with other RIRs. ARIN could stop charging ARIN members for AS numbers and only charge the annual maintenance fee. Members would be able to request ASNs on behalf of their customers, waiving the $500 fee, but not the maintenance fee. ASNs would become a clear benefit of membership, as ISPs would be able to pass along the $500 savings to their customers.
    • Leo Vegoda, RIPE NCC, said that RIPE has no direct charge for an ASN and that customers get the service with membership. Starting in 2004, ASNs requested by an LIR will be taken into consideration in the formula that determines which billing category the organization falls into.
    • Owen DeLong stated that he likes the idea in general. However, he wanted to know what impact this proposed change would have on overall revenue. Lee Howard said that new ASN registrations are only about 10% of the budget and that not all fees would be waived.
    • Owen DeLong expressed concern that there is a tendency in nonprofit companies to get rid of the surplus right away. Bill Woodcock suggested this policy be employed for 5-10 years until the operating buffer is down to one year, as initially planned. Scott Bradner said the Board is not trying to eliminate the buffer, but only to make it more realistic in accordance with ARIN's overall budget.
    • Michael Whisenant stated that he supports Bill Woodcock ’s proposal
  • William Leibzon proposed that ARIN change its fee structure and the number of billing categories. Ray Plzak requested William put his proposed policy in writing and submit it to Ray via e-mail for submittal to the Board for discussion.
  • Michael Dillon said the Board should ask ARIN staff about what technology upgrades could be expedited by outsourcing. Scott Bradner agreed that this is a wise idea.
  • Michael Whisenant suggested that the IPv6 fee exemption should be extended to facilitate the advancement of v6 deployment. Scott Bradner stated that the topic will be on the Board's agenda for its next meeting, which will take place before the current exemption expires.
  • Mark Desterdick said that fee waivers for transfers should be continued while ARIN is encouraging organizations to clean up their data.
  • After William Leibzon asked if there is a formal process for financial policies, Ray Plzak said official Board proposals about fee structures are presented to the members for discussion and feedback. Lee Howard added that although there is no template for financial proposals, any ARIN member is welcome to send a suggestion to any member of the Board or the arin-discuss mailing list. Scott Bradner added that we need member opinions, but ultimately it is the Board's duty to exercise fiduciary responsibility and management.

Closing Announcements and Meeting Adjournment

Ray Plzak made closing announcements and again thanked Server Central and ANet for their sponsorship. He thanked the audience for their efforts in making the meeting a success and encouraged feedback on the ARIN XII Survey form on the website or via e-mail to Member Services. He also thanked the ARIN staff. The meeting was adjourned at 11:15 CDT.