Current Job Openings at ARIN
Employees describe ARIN as offering a supportive, casual and flexible work environment that provides an atmosphere of continuous learning while being responsive to the community we serve.
ARIN offers competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, training and education. In lieu of stock options (we are a nonprofit, membership association), we have a generous 401k retirement plan. Eligible employees received a 14% fully-vested employer match in both 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Executive Director of Government Affairs and Public Policy
To apply for this opening, please email your resume to email@example.com or fax your resume to our offices in Chantilly, VA. Our fax number is 703.263.0111. Please note that this is an in-house position - no full-time telecommuters, no consultants. Relocation not provided.
We are currently seeking an Executive Director Government Affairs and Public Policy who will oversee and maintain relationships with governments and key intergovernmental organizations for ARIN. The Executive Director will work closely with the various governments within the ARIN region to identify needs and develop solutions as necessary. This position will also promote participation in the ARIN policy development process by the various ARIN region governmental bodies. The Executive Director will participate in and contribute to discussions and issue resolution in various intergovernmental organizations such as CTU, CITEL, OECD, and the ITU. The candidate will also liaise with the various governments and international governmental organizations to expand awareness of number resource issues and ARIN policies. This position works closely with the President/CEO to accomplish and advance the external mission, goals, and strategic plan of the company.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
- Working closely with the President/CEO, develop and carryout strategy and strategic plans for managing governmental and intergovernmental relationships; be available to provide advice for policy development as it relates to governmental and intergovernmental organizations.
- Articulate and contribute to the development of ARIN's position on strategic objectives to all appropriate parties.
- Gain consensus, with appropriate entities, on these strategic objectives ascertain and communicate internally the political atmosphere concerning the Key Initiatives including, but not limited to, legislative matters, legal positions and judicial rulings.
- Research and draft public policy issue briefs on Internet industry strategic direction as appropriate.
- Develop, coordinate, direct, and administer policies related to all phases of relationships with governments and intergovernmental organizations, (i.e. ITU, OECD, CITEL, etc).
- Maintain and coordinate existing and develop new external relationships between ARIN and various stakeholder entities, including: ICANN, OECD, ITU, CITEL, CTU, national governments within the ARIN region as appropriate and other organizations yet to be identified. Develop and foster positive relationships with national governments and governmental organizations on behalf of ARIN. Provide briefings on various internet number resource issues as needed and provide subject matter expertise to government agencies as needed.
- Provide liaison and education support for press, governmental, intergovernmental organizations and law enforcement relations.
- Represent ARIN in public appearances and on mailing lists.
- Provide strategic and political advice to the President/CEO of ARIN.
- Coordinate with the COO and other management staff on activities as needed.
- Work closely with ARIN senior management on legislative matters, providing background and giving input to the President. Upon request, may assist the President in reporting on legislative matters to the Board of Trustees.
- Adhere to company ethics policy. Report any incidents of unethical behavior or possible fraud to the Director of HR and Administration, the COO or the President & CEO. Provide a written quarterly statement of any such activities.
- Participate in the development and planning of ARIN's annual strategic plan for presentation to the Board. Determine the strategic direction of the GAPP in conjunction with the overall company strategic plan, and produce an annual work plan, that includes implementation of relevant strategic objectives. Develop and maintain area budget, exercising fiduciary control and responsibility for the GAPP.
- Ability and willingness to travel in accordance with ARIN travel guidelines. Travel may be as much as 70% of the work year.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
- Act in executive capacity as required.
Background and Skills Required
- Comprehensive understanding of RIR system, including policy development process and governance.
- Minimum two years of experience in RIR system.
- Relationship and consensus facilitator with strong diplomacy and negotiation skills.
- Extensive experience working in Internet Governance related activities.
- Minimum of two years executive level management experience.
- Understanding of and work experience with international treaty organizations, such as ITU.
- Experience with ICANN.
- Five to ten years of work experience with intergovernmental policy development, with a focus on Internet or broad technical policy is required.
- Knowledge and understanding of corporate governance and organizational accountability.
- Knowledge of Internet protocols, IP addressing and general DNS is mandatory.
- Four-year degree in a public relations or Internet related field or equivalent work experience.
- Superior communication skills are required. Excellent writing skills are essential to this position. This position also requires excellent public speaking skills, to include presentation preparation and extemporaneous speaking.
Background and Skills Preferred
- Coursework or training on the subject of international relations is desired.
- Advanced degree in political science or related discipline.
- Proficient in conversational Spanish and/or French.
Communications and Technical Writer
To apply for this opening, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax your resume to our offices in Chantilly, VA. Our fax number is 703.263.0111. Please note that this is an in-house position - no full-time telecommuters, no consultants. Relocation not provided.
We are currently seeking a Communications and Technical Writer who is responsible for producing clear and concise content and copy for the ARIN website, as well as other documentation and messaging. The Communications and Technical Writer serves as integral team member contributing to the development of new member services and products; and acts as a liaison to develop internal and external Engineering documentation for new services and systems.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the development, production, and editing of documentation (including educational and technical documents, brochure content, meeting minutes, corporate reports, and informational material).
- Act as primary contact point for the Engineering Program Manager and software developers to support internal and external documentation and ancillary materials.
- Participate in regular meetings to support software and services development to ensure complex concepts are translated into clear, concise, and user-friendly content.
- Proofread/edit (both style and content editing) documentation prior to its publication on the ARIN website or in print.
- Work closely with other staff (subject matter experts) in writing, reviewing, and maintaining documentation.
- Work closely with Communications Manager and Web Content Specialist to ensure Web content is accurate and up-to-date.
- Perform other tasks as required to fulfill the objectives of ARIN in general and the Communications and Member Services Department in particular.
- Learn about and stay current on ARIN activities in order to contribute new ideas with regard to needed documentation.
- Specific projects as assigned by the Communications Manager.
- Perform routine content maintenance and updates on the website.
- Travel to various locations to attend ARIN meetings and possibly industry related conferences.
Background and Skills Required
- Proficiency and experience working with software developers to create clear and concise internal and external user documentation.
- Outstanding, effective, and concise written and oral communication - Must be able to adapt writing style as required by the situation and subject matter.
- Strong interpersonal skills - Must have the ability to work independently and as part of collaborative, inter-departmental teams.
- Must be proactive and a self-starter who is detail-oriented and extremely organized. Ability to multi-task and prioritize competing deadlines.
- Must have excellent time management and project planning experience. Ability to keep projects on schedule by coordinating with colleagues across the organization.
- Ability to manage a widely varying workload, and flexibility to adapt to changing needs, multiple priorities, and short deadlines.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications is required, and experience with major desktop publishing and/or website management tools is preferred.
- Bachelor's degree and equivalent work experience. Minimum of 2 years proven experience in writing for the web.
Background and Skills Preferred
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, marketing, or a related field.
- Prior experience in an association or nonprofit environment, or with an Internet Service Provider in the area of communication or marketing.
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies, and software requirements writing.
- Familiarity with Atlassian software tools (JIRA and Confluence).
- Web publishing skills using Dreamweaver.
Director of Registration Services Department
Hiring for this position is put on hold indefinitely.
The Director of Registration Services is responsible for the overall development, direction and operation of the Registration Services Department, which performs ARIN's core function as a Regional Internet Registry of overseeing the allocation and registration of Internet Number Resources. As a member of the senior management team, work closely with the COO and CEO, serving as the focal point for coordinating, implementing and communicating ARIN's regional policies, as well as global policies, for number resource distribution.
Job Description and Responsibilities
Manage and direct the department's execution and delivery of ARIN's core function: to provide Internet Number Resources (IPv4, IPv6, and ASNs) and related technical services to Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and other enterprise customers within the ARIN region for their network operations and growth.
Implement and manage ARIN's community established public policies; monitor and ensure policy compliance, evaluate policy effectiveness and impact, and make recommendations to the community as needed.
Lead ARIN's efforts in fraud detection, prevention, and resolution. Collaborate closely with ARIN's legal team to bring to closure and/or escalate to law enforcement as necessary.
Oversee the maintenance of ARIN registration data; including the responsibility of ensuring the integrity of all updates to the ARIN registry.
Ensure the highest possible levels of customer service. This includes monitoring communications of ARIN staff with customers, handling customer escalations, and spot auditing of resource request tickets.
Participate in the development and planning of ARIN's annual strategic plan for presentation to the Board of Trustees. Determine the strategic direction of the department in conjunction with the overall company strategic plan, and produce an annual work plan, that includes implementation of relevant strategic objectives.
Develop and maintain department budget, exercising fiduciary control and responsibility for the department.
Oversee department resources essential for the professional and consistent operation of the department including the development of redundancy and contingency plans. Propose future goals and performance standards for the department and determine and recommend needed resources to accomplish goals.
Hire, train, and manage department staff. Assess and develop staff members on an ongoing basis to provide continuity of managerial and specialized skills. Perform formal and informal appraisals for all direct reports, including 90 day review after hiring, 6 month informal review and annual performance appraisal.
Set in place a plan for succession management – short-term and long-term. Identify and mentor staff members with potential for promotion and future leadership positions.
Adhere to company ethics policy. Set standard of ethical conduct for department staff by exhibiting high ethical principles at all times. Report any incidents of unethical behavior or possible fraud to the Director of HR and Administration, the COO or the President/CEO. Provide a written quarterly statement of any such activities.
Stay abreast of technological developments relevant to Internet Protocol and industry business in order to adjust and grow as needed. Maintain and enhance technical fluency and knowledge by studying publications, periodicals, and mailing lists and through continuing education and training classes.
Ability and willingness to travel in accordance with ARIN travel guidelines.
Background and Skills Required
Bachelor's degree in course of study relevant to position OR equivalent work experience.
Eight to ten years of relevant experience in a technical support function, preferably in an Internet environment. Minimum of five years of relevant management experience in a technical support and/or customer service environment, preferably in a senior role.
Solid understanding of Internet operations, applications, and protocols.
Demonstrated creativity and leadership in problem-solving and execution.
Demonstrated ability to manage people and projects successfully, particularly in a team oriented environment.
Strong and effective oral and written communication. Excellent presentation skills.
Superior organizational and interpersonal skills.
Knowledge and understanding of subnetting, network routing, CIDR, and TCP/IP protocol suite. Some familiarity with legal documents; such as asset purchase agreements and bills of sale for the transfer of organization assets.