Current Job Openings at ARIN
Employees describe ARIN as offering a supportive, casual and flexible work environment that provides an atmosphere of continuous learning while being responsive to the community we serve.
ARIN offers competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, training and education. In lieu of stock options (we are a nonprofit, membership association), we have a generous 401k retirement plan. Eligible employees received a 14% fully-vested employer match in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Database Systems Administrator
To apply for this opening, please email your resume to email@example.com. Please note that this is an in-house position - no full-time telecommuters, no consultants. Relocation not provided.
Job Description and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for the configuration, maintenance, monitoring and tuning of a complex system of networked Linux and Unix systems and services including high performance clusters, storage and backup systems. Additionally, you will be responsible for helping to configure, maintain, update, and query high availability PostgreSQL clusters.
You will be contributing in the following areas:
- Perform the installation and upgrades of Linux and Unix based hardware and software. Configure servers, workstations and routers in accordance with established guidelines. Responsible for the day-to-day management of all Linux and Unix systems.
- Manage user access, create and delete system accounts and monitor account privileges. Assist users in solving operational problems.
- Proactively evaluate system security, make recommendations for improvement and perform preventive maintenance and apply security updates as required by ARIN policies Implement security practices and procedures to in accordance with established guidelines.
- Provide technical administration of all DNS zones managed by ARIN.
- Evaluate, design and establish monitoring mechanisms for performance, security, capacity and maintenance. Monitor systems and make corrections or recommendations to resolve issues as they arise.
- Establish, manage, and supervise disaster recovery process in accordance with established guidelines.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on hardware and software products based on an assessment of operating requirements.
- Contribute to the design, build, test, and implementation of applications and systems as needed. Provide subject matter expertise on Linux and Unix based platforms and technologies.
- Provide on-call support for all critical network and system operations on a rotating basis.
- Provide backup support for network operations, Windows and database system administration.
Background and Skills Required
- 4-year college degree preferably in an information systems or computer science related discipline OR equivalent combination of education and experience. In lieu of education, 4 years of Unix System Administration experience may be substituted.
- At least 2 years of job-related experience supporting Red Hat / CentOS Linux and other Unix and Linux environments.
- Strong knowledge of Linux and other Unix-like operating environments including good knowledge of various scripting languages, such as Bourne shell and Python, and a working knowledge of using configuration management tools in a systems administration context.
- Experience with database systems, including familiarity with SQL.
- Proven experience in monitoring, supporting, and managing complex Linux and Unix systems.
- A willingness and desire to learn new technologies.
- Ability to understand complex instructions and work independently.
- Ability to evaluate new hardware and software systems and make sound recommendations.
- Good interpersonal skills. Strong verbal and written skills.
Background and Skills Preferred
- Familiarity with PostgreSQL 9, PostgreSQL data replication, and Corosync clustering.
- Familiarity with Puppet Enterprise.
- Familiarity with common Internet protocols such TCP/IP, IPv6, DNS, HTTP and BGP.
- Familiarity with Windows system administration and network operations.