Your IP address could not be determined at this time.

Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council

Thursday, 20 July 2017
Teleconference

Minutes

Advisory Council Attendees

  • Dan Alexander, Chair (DA)
  • Tina Morris, Vice Chair (TM)
  • Owen DeLong (OD)
  • Andrew Dul (AD)
  • David Farmer (DF)
  • David Huberman (DH)
  • Alyssa Moore (AM)
  • Amy Potter (AP)
  • Joe Provo (JP)
  • Leif Sawyer (LS)
  • Rob Seastrom (RS)
  • John Springer (JS)
  • Chris Tacit (CT)
  • Alison Wood (AW)
  • Chris Woodfield (CW)

Scribe

  • Thérèse Simcox

ARIN Staff

  • Michael Abejuela (MA), Assoc. General Counsel
  • John Curran, President & CEO
  • Nate Davis (ND), COO
  • Leslie Nobile, Senior Dir., Global Registry Knowledge
  • John Sweeting (JSw), Senior Dir., Registration Services

ARIN General Counsel

  • Stephen M. Ryan, Esq.

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:02 p.m. EDT. He welcomed everyone to the call.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair reviewed the agenda with the AC and called for any comments. AP requested agenda item 8 and item 6 be swapped. The Chair agreed to swap item 8 with item 6.

3. Approval of the Minutes

It was moved by JS, and seconded by CW, that:

"The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 15 June 2017, as written."

      The Chair called for any objections. There were none.

      The motion carried with no objections.

4. Outstanding AC Expense Reports

(Exhibit)

The Chair noted this as an informational item for the AC. He reviewed the list of outstanding expense reports with them.

The President stated the reports on the list were over 120 days late, and future lists will be included on the AC’s meeting agendas. This same procedure is performed for the Board. If travelers do not anticipate submitting expenses for a given trip, they need to let ARIN staff know. The Chair reiterated this point.

JS explained he would not be submitting for the trip listed, as his travel had been cancelled due to weather. The President stated it would be removed from the list.

5. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-2: Removal of Community Networks

AM discussed developing a definition with the folks involved, and will be submitting new draft text by early August.

OD made a motion to abandon this draft policy as it had been circulating long enough, there was sufficient opposition, and he did not see the draft policy moving forward. The motion failed as there was no second to the motion. Therefore, the Chair stated AM would continue to work on the text.

6. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration Requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

(Previously item 8 on the agenda)

LS stated that good discussion had been taking place on the Public Policy Mailing List (PPML) with regard to the direction the policy is going. Based on the last PPML conversations he read, he posted a new update to AC’s Wiki yesterday and asked the AC to review and provide feedback. He would then post the text to the PPML for further discussion. He hoped that before the AC’s call in August, a staff and legal review could be requested and conducted.

7. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-4: Remove Reciprocity Requirement for Inter-RIR Transfers

RS stated that minor text revisions had been made and send to the AC for review. He received no comments from the AC and will be posting the text to the PPML for feedback. Counsel provided a confidential briefing to the AC with regard to legal concerns.

8. Draft Policy 2017-3: Update to NRPM 3.6: Annual Whois POC Validation

(Previously item 6 on the agenda)

AP stated that she had a phone call with LEA to get a better idea of the problems and possible remedies. She stated they discussed moving away from the omnibus approach and forming a different strategy. Reallocation and reassignment accuracy is the direction in which it is heading and they are working on this; however, AP stated she was struggling with the best way to approach the text: reallocation and reassignment in same policy, or split them up into two polices? She noted she had reviewed the feedback from the PPML, and requested the AC’s feedback as well. The Chair stated AP would post the matter to the AC’s list for feedback.

DF stated that he believed there was enough technical differences between reallocation and reassignment that splitting them up is not a bad idea.

The Chair noted that policy shepherds are setting conference calls with authors to gather more information. He asked that they let the Chair or Vice Chair know so they can be on the call for coverage.

9. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-6: Improve Reciprocity Requirement for Inter-RIR Transfers

AW stated that there was little activity on the PPML. There were two people noted in opposition, one in support, and one comment from the author. She noted that the draft policy was technically sound, and that she would like to stimulate more discussion now on the list in preparation for discussion at the ARIN 40 meeting in October. She believed there was confusion with regard to the LIR aspect, and she intended to post something to the PPML make sure folks know LIRs are not part of this activity.

10. Draft Policy ARIN-2017-7: Retire Obsolete Section 4 from the NRPM

CW stated that the text was posted to the PPML with a handful of replies received, none of which were positive. None of the comments were in support of the text.  An e-mail from Kevin Blumburg recently was posted suggesting other sections would prematurely be retired as a result. CW noted that suggestions were received for modification of the section rather than a rewrite and retirement of the existing language. He stated that if no support was received, he would move to abandon the policy at next AC meeting.

The Chair asked CW if he was leaning toward abandoning because there is nothing in a rewrite that is worth the effort. CW stated that was the case.  

11. ARIN-Prop-235: Clarify Generic References to "IP Addresses" In NRPM

The Chair stated that this was proposal was remanded to author with no feedback received. It was abandoned on July 17, 2017. It will be removed from the AC’s docket.

12. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business.

The AC observed AM’s birthday and wished her well.

The President stated that he would be on vacation through the next week, and that the COO would be in charge. He asked the AC to please email the COO if they needed any assistance.

13. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:38 p.m. EDT. JP moved to adjourn, seconded by OD. The meeting was adjourned with no objections.

Search This Section

Loading

full site search