Your IP address could not be determined at this time.

Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council

Thursday, 19 December 2013
Teleconference

Minutes

Advisory Council Attendees:

  • John Sweeting, Chair (JSw)
  • Dan Alexander, Vice Chair (DA)
  • Cathy Aronson (CA)
  • Kevin Blumberg (KB)
  • Bill Darte (BD)
  • Owen DeLong (OD)
  • David Farmer (DF)
  • Scott Leibrand (SL)
  • Milton Mueller (MM)
  • Bill Sandiford (BS)
  • Rob Seastrom (RS)
  • John Springer (JSp)

Minute Taker:

  • Thérèse Colosi

ARIN Staff:

  • Michael Abejuela (MA), Assoc. General Counsel

  • Einar Bohlin, Senior Policy Analyst
  • John Curran, President & CEO

  • Nate Davis, COO
  • Leslie Nobile, (LN) Dir., Registration Services

Observer:

  • Andrew Dul (2014 AC Member-elect)

  • Tina Morris (2014 AC Member-elect)

Regrets:

  • Chris Grundemann, Stacy Hughes, Heather Schiller

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:05 p.m. EST. The presence of quorum was noted. He welcomed observers Tina Morris and Andrew Dul to the call.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair called for any comments. The Chair stated he would add an item on policy ratification under any other business.

3. Approval of the Minutes

It was moved by BL, and seconded by OD, that:

"The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of 21 November 2013, as written."

The Chair called for comments. There were no comments.

The motion carried with no objections.

4. Draft Policy ARIN-2013-7: Merge IPv4 ISP and End-User Requirements

The Chair asked if SL needed another shepherd for this Draft Policy, since BS, as the other shepherd, would be leaving the AC. OD volunteered. The Chair thanked him, and stated if there were any other members interested in shepherding to please email him.

SL stated there had been no comments received since the new text was posted to the AC's list. He noted that the text needed updating and posting to Public Policy Mailing List (PPML). OD asked if the title would change. SL stated it did change and was in the version on the AC's Wiki. He stated it would be changed when posted to the PPML.

5. Draft Policy ARIN-2013-8: Subsequent Allocations for New Multiple Discrete Networks

CA asked if, since the text was changed, a second staff clarity and understanding would be done to ensure the changes were sufficient. It was determined that a staff and legal review would be done.  She stated it was ready to be moved forward. The Chair stated this Draft policy would be discussed in January at the AC's face-to-face meeting.

The Chair requested an update at this time, on a new proposal that was recently received:

ARIN-Prop-192: Out of Region Use. MM, as shepherd, had a conference call on the proposal that David Farmer had authored. He stated that the proposal attempts to create a policy for 'out of region requests' that is more acceptable than the previous ones that had been abandoned. He noted that this proposal raised potentially controversial issues (depending on how they are phrased); and, that they were working on the problem statement. DF stated that he was awaiting input from SH, another shepherd on the proposal; and, that he should be able to post to the AC's list by tomorrow. The Chair stated that he had requested preliminary input from staff that they also should have by tomorrow.

6. Improve Communications Group (ICG) Report

CG had emailed the AC stating there were no updates at this time. The Chair stated that CG requested to remain in the ICG as an interested community member, as he would no longer be on the AC in 2014. The Chair stated discussion of AC members on the ICG would take place in January; and, that he would update the 2014-elect members on the ICG before their face-to-face meeting in January.

BD suggested that another call should take place between now and the January meeting to map out a strategy and direction of the ICG, and welcomed any other AC members to join the working group.  JSp stated he was very interested in continuing on the ICG.

7. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business.

  • 2013-4: RIR Principles. The President stated the Board had a teleconference meeting earlier today and adopted this policy. It will be going into the Number Resource Policy Manual (NRPM).
  • Chair and Vice Chair Elections. EB stated that January 1, 2014 would begin the election process.
  • AC Wiki. EB stated that he set up a face-to-face meeting page for archiving information on the AC's Wiki for their reference.
  • Public Policy Consultations (PPCs). The Chair stated they would determine who would be attending PPCs from the AC to support and present draft policies, recommended draft policies, and proposals that were on the AC's workload at that time. He requested that those AC members attending NANOG let him know.
  • Members Departing the AC. The Chair recognized BS for his 4 years of service to the AC and wished him luck on the ARIN Board in 2014. He stated it was a pleasure working with him.  BS thanked the Chair and also expressed his pleasure with working with the AC.

    The Chair recognized CG for his 3 years of service to the AC, and stated he was an active participant helping the AC move forward in its development and expertise. He wished him the best of luck in his endeavors at ISOC.
  • AC 2014 Travel. The President stated the Board had reviewed the 2014 Budget, and approved additional funds to allow more members of the AC to attend RIR meetings. He stated that he'd meet with the AC Chair to discuss the outcome for AC travel next year.
  • Thanks. BS thanked staff for the invitation to the ARIN Holiday Party and that he had a very nice time. He stated that he appreciated ARIN extending the invitation to the Board and AC.

The Chair thanked all the AC members for their support this year, and wished them a happy holidays and a Happy New Year.

8. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:35 p.m. EST. OD moved to adjourn, seconded by BS. The meeting adjourned with no objections.