Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council
Thursday, 19 August 2010
- John Sweeting, Chair
- Scott Leibrand (SL), Vice Chair
- Dan Alexander (DA)
- Cathy Aronson (CA)
- Marla Azinger (MA)
- Marc Crandall (MC)
- Bill Darte (BD)
- Owen DeLong (OD)
- David Farmer (DF)
- Stacy Hughes (SH)
- Chris Morrow (CM)
- Bill Sandiford (BS)
- Heather Schiller (HS)
- Tom Zeller (TZ)
- Therese Colosi
- Einar Bohlin, Policy Analyst
- Leslie Nobile, Director, Registration Services
- Stephen M. Ryan
- Robert Seastrom
The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:04 p.m. EDT. The presence of quorum was noted.
2. Agenda Bashing
CA requested she provide an update on the ARIN/NANOG Program Committee. The Chair added this to Any Other Business. He reminded the AC to make sure they supply ARIN staff with their travel plans for the ARIN meeting in October as soon as possible. He also stated the AC’s face to face meeting, will run until 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 8th, for their flight planning purposes. The Chair urged the AC to submit their suggestions for Table Topics for discussion during the luncheons at the ARIN meeting.
3. Approval of the Minutes
It was moved by SL, and seconded by SH, that:
"The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of July 15, 2010, as written."
The Chair called for discussion. There were no comments.
BS joined at this time (4:07 p.m. EDT).
The motion carried with no objections.
4. Draft Policy 2010-1: Waiting List for Un-Met IPv4 Requests
The ARIN Board ratified this Draft Policy at their meeting on August 10, 2010
5. Draft Policy 2010-13: Permitted Uses of Space Reserved under NRPM 4.10
The Chair noted this draft policy as successfully petitioned. SL stated that OD, the author, has updated the text and posted it to the AC’s mailing list and Wiki; and, that OD requests feedback. The Chair noted OD’s hard work on this proposal.
6. Draft Policy 2010-14: Standardize IP Reassignment Registration Requirements
The Chair noted this draft policy as successfully petitioned. MA stated it is going forward as written. She and CA are tracking it with the author who will present it at the ARIN meeting.
7. Draft Policy 2010-9: IPv6 for 6rd
MA stated there were only a few more staff comments that need to be incorporated.
8. Draft Policy 2010-12: IPv6 Subsequent Allocation
MA stated this draft policy will be presented side by side with 2010-9 to accommodate the different opinion of the Community.
9. Draft Policy 2010-10: Global Policy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post-Exhaustion
BD stated that there were no further updates, and that this draft policy is in process in submission globally. He stated that Martin Hannigan, ARIN–region ASO AC member, will be presenting it at the ARIN meeting.
CM and OD joined at this time (4:12 p.m. EDT).
10. Draft Policy 2010-11: Required Resource Reviews
MC stated that this draft policy has been updated on the AC’s Wiki and comments from the Public Policy Mailing List (PPML) have been incorporated into the version. He stated that the text needs to be re-posted to the PPML, and presented at the meeting. The Chair wanted to ensure that the version on the AC’s Wiki is the same as the version on the PPML; and, stated the deadline is September 1st to have the finalized draft policy ready for the ARIN meeting.
OD stated he was traveling heavily and most of his efforts are being put into Draft Policy 2010-13. He therefore requested that MC and BD monitor Draft Policy 2010-11. They agreed.
BD requested that all policy shepherds ensure that the latest text on all draft policies are posted in order to received feedback from the PPML. The Chair agreed and clarified that this can be done only for the draft policies that the AC is authoring; and, noted that policy authors outside of the AC be contacted to request the same action of them.
11. Draft Policy 2010-8: Rework of IPv6 Assignment Criteria
DF stated he noted HS’s suggestions, removing the reference to 6.11, Multiple Discrete Networks. He stated that the latest version is on the AC Wiki and their mailing list. He requested the AC’s feedback; and will post it to the PPML shortly, including any major comments before doing so.
The Chair stated that he will request staff and legal review tomorrow, due to the text having many revisions, and it will be presented at the meeting.
12. Any Other Business
- Luncheon Table Topics. The Chair requested the AC send ideas for Table Topics via email to him, and he will forward them to the appropriate ARIN staff.
- ARIN/NANOG Program Committee. CA provided an update on the ARIN/NANOG Program Committee that is working on where the two meetings connect during a joint meeting effort. She stated there are two panels on Wednesday October 6: one on IPv6 transition mechanisms (6rd, etc.): and, the other on transition experiences. She requested comments on any ideas for other panels. OD volunteered to be on the 2nd panel. The Chair thanked CA for her report.
- ARIN Legal Matters. BD requested Counsel provide any update on ARIN legal matters. Counsel provided a brief update to the AC.
The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:29 p.m. EDT. BS moved to adjourn, and OD seconded the motion. There were no objections; the meeting was adjourned.