Your IP address could not be determined at this time.

Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council

Thursday, 18 January 2007
Teleconference

Minutes

Attendees:

  • Marla Azinger (MA), Chair
  • Ron da Silva , (RD) Vice Chair
  • Cathy Aronson (CA)
  • Leo Bicknell (LB)
  • Bill Darte (BD)
  • Matt Pounsett (MP)
  • Lea Roberts (LR)
  • Robert Seastrom (RS)
  • Heather Skanks (HS)
  • Stacy Taylor (ST)
  • Suzanne Woolf (SW)

ARIN Staff:

  • Einar Bohlin, (EB) Policy Analyst
  • Therese Colosi, Scribe
  • Nate Davis, (ND) Director of Operations
  • Leslie Nobile, (LN) Director of Registration Services
  • Ray Plzak, (RP) President & CEO

ARIN Counsel:

  • Stephen M. Ryan

Apologies:

  • Paul Andersen

Absent:

  • Dan Alexander
  • Alec Peterson
  • Alex Rubenstein

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:04 p.m. EDT. The presence of a quorum was noted. The Chair welcomed everyone, thanking them for their continued efforts on the Council. The Chair also acknowledged new member Heather Skanks; and also thanked RD for his service as Chair in 2006 and his continued service as Vice Chair this year.

2. Agenda Bashing

The Chair called for any comments. There were no comments.

3. Approval of the Minutes

CJA moved that:

            "The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of November 2, 2006 as written."

This was seconded by RS.  The Chair called for any objections. There were no objections. The motion carried unanimously.

ST moved that:

            "The ARIN Advisory Council approves the Minutes of November 16, 2006 as written."

This was seconded by LB.   The Chair called for any objections. There were no objections. The motion carried unanimously.

4. AC Handbook

RP explained that the online Advisory Council Information Center provides links to resources that will assist them in their AC role.

5. Policy Proposal 2006-7: Changes to IPv6 Initial Allocation Criteria

The Chair stated she was the shepherd on this policy proposal, and that there were no updates to report at this time. She will prompt discussion on the PPML.

6. Policy Proposals

The Chair asked the shepherds (MP, LB, BD and PA), on the three proposals below, to provide updates on each. LB updated the AC that material, including ARIN staff comments, was sent to the group of authors who submitted these three policy proposals. The authors reviewed staff comments and revised the drafts of the policy proposals.

The shepherds reviewed the new texts, and felt they were satisfactory.  LB stated that this week the shepherds will let the authors know that the three policy proposals can be resubmitted. LB expected they would be resubmitted very shortly.

  1. Reinstatement of PGP Authentication Method
  2. Policy Proposal: Documentation of the X.509 Authentication Method
  3. Policy Proposal: Documentation of the Mail-From Authentication Method.

7. ARIN Staff Policy Evaluation and Feedback Report

RP stated that he had sent an email to the AC January 17, and reminded them at the meeting in St. Louis, that LN had presented a first time report on ARIN's experience with existing policies. The AC agreed staff would submit a report once, per policy cycle, to provide evaluations of policies that were implemented, the quality of the policy, and feedback from community. This would hopefully lead to more active feedback in the IRPEP.

The Chair stated she reviewed had the email and was happy to see this effort. She asked for volunteers. BD then suggested the Chair direct the AC to read the document and post comments to their list, and at that time volunteer for items in the document. RS stated he had reviewed the document and was ready to volunteer for numbers 1 and 2. He felt they could be reasonably merged. LN commented that they were separated because they are that way in the NRPM and suggested continuing in that vein. RP stated that nothing precludes a single policy to supersede these 2 policies. RS said he would write two policies and they can have adjacent numbers picking up the two separate aspects of allocation process. ST volunteered to help RS write the second one.

LB noted that February 22 will be the deadline to submit policies. RP stated that if clarifications are needed, LN will answer them on the AC's list.

The Chair tasked the AC with reviewing the doc and will solicit volunteers for numbers 3 and 4 by Friday, January 26, 2007.

8. 2007 Regularly Scheduled Meetings

The Chair reviewed the schedule with the Council. The Vice Chair resumed the meeting at 4:24 p.m. EDT due to the Chair experiencing technical difficulties.

            BD moved that:

"The ARIN Advisory Council adopts the published suggestions of dates that corresponds with the list of 2007 Regularly Scheduled Meetings as presented."

This was seconded by LR. The Vice Chair called for any discussion.  There were no comments.

The Chair rejoined the call at 4:25 pm and resumed the meeting.

9. RIR Trip Report

AFRINIC 5 (December).  PA was unavailable to report. The Chair asked if there were any objections to setting this time aside until the next meeting.  BD suggested the Chair email a reminder to PA to provide the report.

LB asked if Vice Chair could continue to Chair the meeting due to difficulty hearing the Chair speak. The Chair agreed. The Vice Chair resumed the meeting at 4:27 p.m.

10. AC Projects

  1. Number Resource Policy Manual (NRPM) IPv6 Editing.   LR stated that she felt she could foster discussion before the next meeting, and provide an update at that time. CJA volunteered to help LR, with LR accepting her assistance.
  2. PPML Polling.  RP stated that this is in the staff's work queue, and prototype testing would be implemented by end of month. He stated that a status report would be provided at the next meeting.

11. ARIN Counsel Report

Counsel requested a privileged, client-confidential discussion, and provided an update to the AC on ARIN litigation matters.

12. Any Other Business

The Vice Chair called for any other business.  There was no other business.

13. Adjournment

The Vice Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:41 p.m. EDT.  ST moved to adjourn, and this was seconded by MP. The motion carried unanimously.