Your IP address could not be determined at this time.

Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council

Thursday, 16 December 2004
Teleconference

Minutes

Attendees:

  • Alec Peterson, Chair (AP)
  • Bill Darte, Vice Chair (BD)
  • Leo Bicknell (LB)
  • Ron da Silva (RD)
  • Andrew Dul (AD)
  • Sanford H. George (SG)
  • Mark Kosters (MK)
  • Lea Roberts (LR)
  • Robert Seastrom (RS)
  • John Sweeting (JS)
  • Stacy Taylor (ST)
  • Suzanne Woolf (SW)

Observer:

  • Marla Azinger (MA), Council Member-elect

ARIN Staff:

  • Einar Bohlin (EB), Policy Analyst
  • Therese Colosi, Recording Secretary
  • Nate Davis (ND), Director of Operations
  • Susan Hamlin (SH), Director of Member Services
  • Richard Jimmerson (RJ), Director of External Relations
  • Ray Plzak (RP), President & CEO

ARIN Counsel:

  • Stephen Ryan

Apologies:

  • Paul Andersen
  • Cathy Wittbrodt

Absent:

  • Kevin Martin

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:05 p.m. EST. The presence of a quorum was noted and the Chair acknowledged the attendance of Marla Azinger as an observer. Chair stated that the last call proposal did not go out and that it will be discussed at the next AC meeting early next year, hence it was not on this Agenda.

2. Agenda Bashing

The Chair called for any comments. RP requested adding a reminder item regarding the procedure for voting for the Chair which will take place in January. The Chair added this under Any Other Business.

3. Formal Approval of the Minutes of October 21, 2004

Bill Darte moved that:

"The ARIN Advisory Council adopts the Minutes of October 21, 2004 as written."

This was seconded by ST. The motion carried unanimously via roll call.

4. Policy Proposal 2004-3 Global Addresses for Private Network Inter-Connectivity

BD stated that updated language had been posted for to review, and then read the proposed language aloud for reference. Discussion ensued, and it was the sense of the AC that the language should be moved forward to the PPML for public feedback. The Chair requested that ARIN staff post the revised text to the PPML.

5. Policy Proposal 2004-5 Address Space for Multiple Discrete Networks

AD provided an update stating that this proposal was posted to the mailing list for final call and noted that no comments had been received yet, but that it was still open for comments at this point in time.

6. Policy Proposal 2004-8 Allocation of IPv6 Address Space by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Policy to Regional Internet Registries

It was stated that a policy process for global policy was needed. RP provided an update stating that this policy proposal had been discussed in all the regions and that the text did not survive in its current form in any of the regions. Since then the NRO EC met during the ICANN meeting in Cape Town and suggested a joint editing team consisting of representatives from all regions craft a policy to post back to the PPML. He stated that APNIC is currently discussing this proposal and crafting something as well.

RP suggested the AC as well as ARIN-region ASO AC members participate in the process. LR requested RP keep the AC informed regarding the other RIRs as time progresses.

7. Discussion of new proposed policy: PI assignments for v6

The Chair stated that the level of interaction and feedback on this document warranted action on this proposal. LR suggested it should be further worked on with the author. It was agreed to further work with the author, and then to determine whether it receives a formal policy proposal number.

BD moved that:

"The ARIN Advisory Council has considered the proposed policy PI assignments for v6, and desires to work with the author to refine the language of the proposal prior to it being assigned a policy number."

This was seconded by LR. The motion carried unanimously via roll call vote. The Chair requested LR to be the lead and she agreed.

8. Review Open Action Item List

JUL04#10 RJ, BD
Defining Utilization.

10/21 Update: No information could be provided at this time.

12/16 Update: BD stated that he had received an email with a document describing utilization from RJ. He reviewed it and also went through the ARIN policy document and found all references associated with utilization. BD felt the document did not clear up inconsistencies in the policy document, and that an expansion of RJ's document would be necessary. RJ stated that the document was a well vetted draft from among ARIN staff, but agreed with BD's summation. He stated that some inconsistencies could be cleared up, but a full review needs to be done to weed out incorrectly used terms. RJ was tasked with sending the document to the rest of the AC for further review. OPEN.

JUL04#11 MSD/AC
Glossary.

10/21 Update: Ray stated it was in his hands and that he would review it and get back to AC. OPEN.

12/16 Update: RP stated it was in the review process and there was a substantial effort to align definitions and identify sources for the definitions. OPEN.

JUL04#13 AC
ARIN's Directory Services. AC to have read Leo's post and discuss online.

8/25 Update: All agreed that it should be considered at the AC's next meeting. The AC also agreed to add the subject to the ARIN meeting agenda, as an informational item. LB stated that he had not received feedback either way from a policy perspective. He perceived that as a positive, but noted that no one commented. He stated he would be happy to present the matter at the ARIN meeting. LB volunteered to write a policy proposal for the next ARIN meeting in 2005. RP suggested it could also be discussed in the Policy Proposal BOF at the upcoming ARIN meeting. BD volunteered to help LB if needed. The deadline for this action is Friday, September 3, 2004.

10/21 Update: Good discussion at ARIN XIV. LB felt he could do the policy proposal in the new format. MK requested working on it with him and LB accepted. The Chair requested the AC read the proposal and get feedback out so that it could be presented by the next ARIN meeting. AD requested ARIN counsel's advice on privacy laws. Discussion ensued with Counsel on privacy laws and their affect on crafting policy. MK suggested getting the idea behind the Directory Services set and submit to counsel to find out if it is legally acceptable first. The Chair called for volunteers other than LB and MK, PA, JS, and AD volunteered.

12/16 Update: LB stated he did not finish his portion and would have it for the next meeting. OPEN.

JUL04#14 MK
Discussion of POC verification. MK volunteered to champion the issue, and write up text for review before the August 22nd IRPEP deadline.

8/25 Update: MK said could not get it done in time for that deadline but would get it to the AC's list ASAP.

10/21 Update: MK stated he was still working on it.

12/16 Update: MK stated he is still working on it and would have it by mid-January. OPEN.

JUL04#16 ARIN Staff
Information in presentation form or document form on conduct guidelines regarding legal issues.

10/21 Update: RP provided the update explaining that the Board and AC will be provided a training program and manual in hardcopy and electronic form with regard to Roberts Rules of Order, discussions on role of the AC, etc. He stated that an outline has been drafted.

12/16 Update: RP stated it is being worked on. OPEN.

AUG04#17 AC
Discussion Leo's suggestion of multiple choice policy statements on the AC's list.

10/21 Update. Discussion ensued with the Chair encouraging LB to bring up again in future.

12/16 Update: all agreed this item had been discussed and no further action would be necessary. CLOSED.

OCT04#18 ARIN Staff
Discussion of Policy Proposal 2004-5 Address Space for Multiple Discrete Networks. AD and BD suggested an amendment to modify paragraph 4 to replace the "must not have /20" with "must not have address space available equal to ARIN's minimum allocation." Ray Plzak requested making a reference to the text being replaced in the NRPM.

12/16 Update: all agreed this had been done. CLOSED.

OCT04#19 RP
Discussion of Policy Proposal 2004-8 Allocation of IPv6 Address Space by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Policy to Regional Internet Registries.

Discussed above as Item 6. CLOSED.

OCT04#20 ND
Real-time Publishing of Netblocks. AD suggested producing an analysis on how this would affect ARIN staff in cost and time. All agreed with the Chair requesting a few weeks in turnaround time. ND was tasked with this request.

12/16/04 Update: ND stated that clarification was needed and AP said he would discuss the issue with ND. OPEN

OCT04#21 SB, BD, SW, AD
Input to Scott Bradner's drafting of ARIN's proposals for recommendation process. Scott stated that input from the AC was welcome, and that this is a process by which ARIN could speak. BD, SW and AD volunteered to help Scott.

12/16/04 Update: RP stated he would contact Scott. OPEN.

OCT04#22 Private Networks Discussion Group.
RD asked if the AC should act on the issue of any organization consuming all RFC 1918 space, what should be done in case of this situation. The Chair replied that someone on private networks discussion group will forward this issue to the list.

12/16 Update: BD discussed the issue with others off line prior to the last ARIN meeting, and also during the ARIN meeting. BD stated that it came down to the fact that if 1918 space was exhausted and one needed more, one would need to request a globally unique address from ARIN. RP stated that this was in fact happening. The Chair asked SW to find out what happened with the submission to IETF. OPEN

9. ARIN Outreach

JS stated that he became aware of people saying that it was not easy to find out information on how to participate with RIRs, and found it surprising. Discussion ensued and it was the sense of the AC that this issue fell outside of their scope of duty to the Board. RP stated that the biggest process is an education process and that in regard to the UN or WSIS process, things are going on to get this discussion moving. It was the sense of the AC that no further action was required on their part.

LR announced she needed to leave the call at this time (5:06 pm EST).

10. AC Travel to RIR meetings in 2005

The Chair stated he had sent the schedule of meetings in 2005 to the AC via email to clarify which meetings the AC were expected to attend: all were expected to attend the 2 ARIN meetings; and, 2 AC members will attend other RIR meetings. He further explained that there would be one lottery that the AC could choose to enter for the other RIR meetings. Volunteers' names would be drawn, and the AC member would then pick the meeting he/she would like to attend. All agreed with this process.

11. Outgoing AC members

The Chair extended thanks to SHG and KM for their years of service on the AC and regretted seeing them leave. The Chair also wished SHG well on his new position to the ASO AC.

12. Any Other Business

A. Chair Election Procedure. RP stated that he had sent the procedure to the AC via email. The Chair reviewed the procedure stating voting opens on 1/7/05 and closes on 1/10/05, and that two people needed to run for the position of AC Chair. The Vice-Chair would be appointed by the Chair. ARIN staff will notify the AC as the procedure progresses.

The Chair called for any other business. RP stated that two v6 proposals will be discussed at APNIC in February, and that he would send them to the AC via email for their review and reference.

13. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 5:20 p.m. EST. ST moved to adjourn and this was seconded by RS. The motion carried unanimously.