Your IP address could not be determined at this time.

Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council

Thursday, 15 January 2004
Teleconference

Minutes

Attendees:

  • Alec Peterson, Chairman (AP)
  • Paul Anderson (PA)
  • Leo Bicknell (LB)
  • Andrew Dul (AD)
  • Mark Kosters (MK)
  • Kevin Martin (KM)
  • Lea Roberts (LR)
  • Robert Seastrom (RS)
  • John Sweeting (JS)
  • Stacy Taylor (ST)

ARIN Staff:

  • Raymond Plzak, President & CEO (RP)
  • Richard Jimmerson, Director of Operations (RJ)
  • Einar Bohlin, Policy Analyst (EB)
  • Therese Colosi, Recording Secretary

Apologies:

  • Ron da Silva (RD)
  • Bill Darte (BD)
  • Sanford H. George (SG)
  • Cathy Wittbrodt (CJW)
  • Suzanne Woolf (SW)

1. Welcome.

The Chair called the meeting to order at 4:06 p.m. The presence of a quorum was noted.

2. Agenda Bashing.

The Chair called for comments. There were no comments.

3. Formal Approval of the Minutes of December 18, 2003.

AD moved that:

"The ARIN AC adopts the minutes of December 18, 2003 as written."

This was seconded by ST. The motion passed with PA abstaining.

4. Policy Proposal 2002-2: Experimental Internet Resource Allocations.

SW sent an update to the AC mailing list since she could not attend this call. Her email indicated that this document is ready for last call.

LR moved that:

"The ARIN Advisory Council, based on comments from stakeholders expressed either at the ARIN XII Public Policy Meeting, or on the ARIN public policy mail list, and noting that the Internet Resource Policy Evaluation Process has been followed, recommend that the ARIN Board of Trustees adopt Policy Proposal 2002-2: Experimental Internet Resource Allocation."

The Chair noted that amendments were transmitted to the AC on 12/18/03 via email.

This was seconded by ST. The Chair stated that this policy proposal would be posted for last call to the PPML. The motion carried unanimously.

5. Policy Proposal 2003-3: Residential Customer Privacy.

At their meeting on December 22, 2003, the ARIN Board decided to remand this policy proposal back to the AC for further consideration of the aspects of privacy with respect to: zip code; agnostic-to-access technology; and level of support. RJ and RP explained to the AC that the Board wanted to ensure that these issues had been sufficiently addressed due to discussions that had taken place during the last call period.

Discussion followed with the AC addressing the Board's concerns. It was noted that zip codes are used throughout the database. RS mentioned the possibility of a geodata need for zip codes. A question arose about whether an ISP could use its own zip code, which led to a comment by PA about pointless data replication. RS asked why bother with sub-allocations at all. In response to these comments, the Chair replied that there was clear consensus for this policy proposal, pointing out that the proposal is specifically about the street address for a residential customer. It was the sense of the AC that this policy proposal has consensus with the text as-is, and should be sent back to the Board and moved forward. The discussion concluded with AD moving that:

"The ARIN Advisory Council refers Policy Proposal 2002-3: Residential Customer Privacy back to the ARIN Board, recommending the ARIN Board adopt this Policy Proposal, noting that the ARIN Advisory Council has discussed the issue raised on the mailing list in regard to zip code, agnostic-to-access technology, and level of support."

This was seconded by ST. Motion carried: 6 in favor, 4 against.

6. Policy Proposal 2003-4: IPv6 Policy Changes.

LR gave an update stating that she had been following the discussions on the global mailing list finding LACNIC leaning away from global consensus, and noted that it will be interesting to see how RIPE and APNIC respond as well. She reminded the AC that the AC had thought crafting new policy proposals from pieces of this policy proposal might be a good idea, and felt that there was still time to do this before the next ARIN meeting in April. She suggested addressing this idea at the next AC meeting. All agreed.

7. Policy Proposal 2003-5: Distributed Information Server Use Requirements.

At their meeting on December 22, 2003, the ARIN Board decided to remand this policy proposal back to the AC due to the fact that this proposal has the same issues as 2003-3, and it has been tabled pending finalization of 2003-3.

Discussion ensued and it was the sense of the AC that the text could be better clarified. MK stated he would be happy to make the text more explicit in the proposal, and post it for another last call after review by the AC. It would then follow the normal process based on last call results. The AC was agreeable and tasked MK with clarifying the text.

8. Policy Proposal 2003-9 WHOIS AUP.

This document is under review by ARIN Counsel. RJ gave a brief update stating that Counsel will have feedback as soon as the review is completed.

9. AC Utilization Discussion Group Update.

AD gave an update stating that he plans to cull thru emails received on the list, send text to the AC's list, and send it out to the PPML. The AC concluded that if there were no interest, they would stop efforts on this issue.

10. Policy Proposal 2003-16. POC Verification.

KM stated that the rewrite is in progress, and did receive ARIN staff's assessment of the effect this would have on ARIN staff time. He stated that that information would be posted to the PPML when the rewrite is ready for posting.

11. Discussion of Internet Resource Policy Evaluation Process.

This process was approved by the ARIN Board during their December 18, 2003 meeting. RJ stated that an announcement will be made within the next week, and an implementation date stating that any policy proposals drafted after that date will be in accordance with this new evaluation process.

12. Review of Open Action Item List.

OPEN ACTION ITEM LIST:

SEPT03-22 AC

Cable Open Access Policy. At the last AC meeting in September, it was agreed to drop this issue if no interest was shown on the PPML by the time ARIN XIII took place.

10/23 update: DA stated this was back on track and they were figuring out what needs to be addressed, with more questions popping up that need to be addressed.

12/18/03 update. No progress has been made. RD volunteered to discuss with CJW to put something to the list if there was a question to pose on the list. Update at next meeting.

01/16/04 update. RD posted to PPML with little response. OPEN.

OCT03-24 AC

Regarding 2002-3, Micro-Assignments for Multi-homed Networks, Bill Darte suggested that the AC conduct ongoing reviews. RP stated implementation considerations by the AC Policy Committee should be sent from the AC to ARIN Staff in writing. CLOSED.

OCT03-27 ARIN Staff.

AC requested that staff conduct an impact study on the staff time that would be entailed in regard to tracking information with respect to 2003-16: POC Verification.

12/18/03 update: Review and discuss next call.

01/16/04 update. This has been done. CLOSED.

13. Any Other Business.

No other business.

14. Adjournment.

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 4:51 p.m. JS moved to adjourn and this was seconded by MK. Motion carried unanimously.