Your IP address could not be determined at this time.

Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council

27 March 2003
Teleconference

Attendees:

Council Members

  • Alec Peterson, Chairman (AP)
  • Dana Argiro (DA)
  • Bill Darte (BD)
  • Andrew Dul (AD)
  • Ron da Silva (RD)
  • Sanford H. George (SHG)
  • Mark Kosters (MK)
  • Lea Roberts (LR)
  • John Sweeting (JS)
  • Stacy Taylor (ST)

Apologies: Ray Plzak, Suzanne Woolf
Absent:
Avi Freedman, Kevin Martin, Cathy Wittbrodt
Guest: Bill Manning, ARIN Board of Trustees

ARIN Staff Attendees

  • Richard Jimmerson, ARIN Director of Operations (RJ)
  • Therese Colosi, ARIN Recording Secretary

Agenda:

  1. Welcome.
  2. Agenda Bashing
  3. Formal Approval of the Minutes of January 16, 2003
  4. Approval of Procedure for the Appointment of Interim Member to the ARIN AC.
  5. Discuss an appointment for the vacant AC slot.
  6. Discuss secret voting process on voting for the AC Chair.
  7. 2002-8: Privatizing POC Information.
  8. Policy Proposals Review
  9. Review Status of Open Action Items.
  10. Any Other Business.
  11. Adjournment.

1. Welcome

The Chair opened the call at 4:05 p.m. EST. The presence of a quorum was noted. It was noted that Ron da Silva would be leaving the call early. It was further noted that Bill Manning, was on the call as an observer from the ARIN Board Trustees, and he also conveyed SW’s regrets. The Chair and AC welcomed Andrew Dul to the AC.

2. Agenda Bashing

The Chair asked for any comments. There were none.

3. Formal Approval of the Minutes of January 16, 2003

BD moved that the ARIN Advisory Council adopt the minutes of January 16, 2003 meeting as written. This was seconded by MK. The motion passed unanimously.

4. Approval of Procedure for the Appointment of Interim Member to the ARIN AC

Procedure for the Appointment of an Interim Member to the ARIN Advisory Council

In the event that one of the positions on the ARIN Advisory Council (AC) is vacated before the end of the term for that position, the following procedure may, at the option of the ARIN Advisory Council be used to select an individual to fill that position until the next regularly scheduled ARIN AC election. At that time, the remaining term of that position will be open to the general election process.

  1. When there are runner-up nominees from the previous ARIN AC election who received at least 5% of the total votes cast, the AC will through the President of ARIN ask the runner up with the highest number of votes if they are willing to serve out the term until the next regular election. The AC may continue down the list of candidates, in order of highest number of votes and still within the 5% category, until a replacement is found.
  2. Should there be more than one runner-up nominee from the previous ARIN AC election with the same number of votes who is willing to serve, the AC may select from those candidates with a simple vote. In the event of a continued tie, the AC may decide, by majority vote, on an alternative resolution process to select the candidate to be recommended.
  3. When there are no eligible candidates from the prior election, the AC may, by majority vote, appoint an interim representative.

RD moved that the ARIN Advisory Council adopt the Procedure for the Appointment of Interim Member to the ARIN AC as written. This was seconded by DA.

Discussion ensued on item #2 of the procedure. It was felt that the 5% rule should be included in the text for clarification. RD accepted this as a friendly amendment.

RD moved that the ARIN Advisory Council adopt the Procedure for the Appointment of Interim Member to the ARIN AC as amended. This was seconded by DA. A roll call vote was taken and them motion passed unanimously.

The new paragraph for item #2 of the procedure reads:

  1. When there are no further candidates with at least 5% of the vote from the prior election, the AC may, by majority vote, appoint an interim representative.

5. Discuss secret voting process on voting for the AC Chair

The AC decided to use ARIN’s voting technology to elect the AC Chair in future elections. The Chair noted that this could not be done in real time but asked for a volunteer to work with ARIN staff to draft a process that can be followed. MK volunteered. AD asked if it would include the nomination process . The Chair said it would. MK stated he would complete drafting the process by the ARIN member meeting in next week in Memphis.

6. Discuss an appointment for the vacant AC slot

Since the resignation of Dawn Martin, the AC needed to appoint someone. Dale Finkelson was nominated by CJW on the list. (LR joined the call at this time.)

BD moved to appoint Dale as interim member to the AC, given his acceptance. This was seconded by JS. A roll call vote was taken and all were in favor with MK abstaining. The Chair asked ARIN to reach Dale to see if he would accept the nomination. RJ said that ARIN staff would contact Dale and confirm his willingness to serve as an Interim AC member for 2003. RP would contact the Chair of the AC after hearing from Dale.

7. 2002-8: Privatizing POC Information

A. Proposed Policy:

ARIN's new database allows an organization to designate several points of contact for their organization and resource records. Available types of POCs are Admin, Technical, Abuse, and NOC. If an organization designates several POCs for the management of their organization or resource records in the ARIN database, they are made available via ARIN WHOIS. In order for a point of contact to conduct resource administration for a given resource record in the ARIN database, that POC does have to be associated with the resource record in the ARIN database, and therefore is listed in ARIN WHOIS.

It is proposed organizations be able to designate certain points of contact as private from ARIN WHOIS, with the exception that, at the minimum, one point of contact must be viewable.

B. Internet Resource Policy Evaluation Process Actions:

This policy proposal has been discussed on the email lists; consensus was reached at the ARIN X Public Policy meeting; the Advisory Council recommended adoption of the policy; and the policy underwent a last call on the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List. There were substantive comments made during the last call period by the author. The wording of this policy proposal was to be modified by the author, but after a period of more than 30 days, this has not been done. In light of the fact consensus was reached on the mailing list and at the ARIN X Public Policy Meeting to accept this proposal as written, the ARIN AC will recommend the ARIN Board of Trustees adopt Policy Proposal 2002-8.

JS moved that the ARIN Advisory Council, based on comments from stakeholders expressed either at the ARIN X Public Policy meeting or on the ARIN public policy mailing list, and noting that the Internet Resource Policy Evaluation Process has been followed, recommends that the ARIN Board of Trustees adopt Policy Proposal 2002-8.

This was seconded by RD. The motion passed unanimously.

8. Policy Proposals Review:

Active Policy Proposals
Proposal ID Description
2003-1 Required Performance of Abuse Contact
2003- 2 Network Abuse
2003- 3 Residential Customer Privacy
2003- 4 IPv6 Policy Changes
2003- 5 RWhois Server Use Requirements
2003- 6 Micro-Assignments with Sponsorship
2003- 7 Announcement of New ARIN IPv4 Blocks
2003- 8 End-User to Subscriber Member Status Change
2003- 9 WHOIS Acceptable Use
2002- 2 Experimental Internet Resource Allocations
2002- 3 Micro-Assignments for Multihomed Networks
2002- 5 Amnesty Requests
2002- 6 Aggregation Requests

RJ explained this was added to the Agenda for the purpose of assigning presenters to the proposals for the upcoming ARIN Public Policy/Member Meeting. If the author is not present, someone from the AC would be assigned to present the policy proposal.

  • 2003-1: Author Owen DeLong will present
  • 2003-2: Author Michael Matt will not be at meeting.
  • 2003-3: Author Dave Barger will present
  • 2003-4: Author Mury at Golden Gate Internet Services is not registered for the meeting but it was noted that the Working Group Chair, Thomas Narten would be present and could possibly present.
  • 2003 –5: Author Mark Kosters will present
  • 2003-6, -7, -8, and –9: Author William Leibzon, would be attending, but not sure he wanted to present.

At this point, discussion took place regarding the authors presenting their own proposals at the meeting if they were attending, versus some else presenting the proposal(s). All were in agreement that they preferred the author present their own proposals if attending the meeting. The Chair asked RJ to request this of those authors who were attending the meeting. RJ agreed and stated he would report back to the AC on the responses he receives.

  • 2002-2: Author Geoff Huston would be at the meeting on Sunday. RJ stated he would check with Geoff to see if he could present.
  • 2002-3: The authors of this proposal will not be present. They previously stated they were no longer interested in supporting this proposal due to lack of community interest. The AC feels these proposals still need to be worked on and presented, and will take on this task.
  • 2002-5, and –6: Author Bill Woodcock will present.

9. Review Status of Open Action Items

OPEN ACTION ITEM LIST:

JAN03-01 RP
RP to report back to AC regarding the meeting he had with the RIR/IAB/IETF liaison group in Amsterdam pertaining to PP 2002-2. RJ gave an update for RP. RP had a meeting and let them know it would be posted again to PPML for discussion. After posting, RP sent emails to the IAB/IETF liaison group that it was re-posted for discussion. It was noted it did not appear anyone had yet commented on PPML since it was re-posted. This is on the Agenda for ARIN XI for discussion. DONE

JAN03-02 RJ
As discussed above, the authors previously stated they were no longer interested in supporting the proposal. The AC feels these proposals still need to be worked on and presented, and agreed to take on this task. DONE

JAN03-03 ST
Status Report on PP 2002-5. Nothing new has happened. This will be discussed/presented at the public policy meeting. DONE

JAN03-04 BD
Status Report on PP 2002-6. Nothing new has happened. This will be discussed/presented at the public policy meeting. DONE

(RD left the call at this point.)

JAN03-05 AC
Recommendation to the Board to abandon PP 2002-7. The ARIN Board, in their March 18, 2003 meeting, accepted the AC’s recommendation. DONE.

JAN03-06 JS/RJ
Status Report on 2002-8. Author was to provide new draft, with RJ posting implementation information along with it. DONE.

JAN03-07 ARIN BOARD
To approve Dana Argiro as the new Interim Member of the ARIN AC. The ARIN Board in their March 18, 2003 meeting confirmed the AC’s appointment of Dana. DONE.

RJ stated that the Board also confirmed the AC’s appointment of Andrew Dul at the same meeting.

JAN03-08 ARIN Staff
ARIN staff was to post suggestion on IPv6 allocation policy to ppml and assign it an ID number. DONE.

JAN 03-09 MK
MK to draft a policy proposal for the AC on Operational RWhois Server. MK posted to list and have not seen comment. He will present at the ARIN meeting. DONE

JAN03-10 AF, JS, BD
Policy issues from 69/8 experience. These three volunteered to work with ARIN to take the results of the analysis and decide what is a regional or global policy issue, or that issues are candidates for training and procedures that should be done within ARIN, with the results given back to the AC as a whole.

BD stated that he sent an email to list aimed at AF, regarding his willingness to work on this, but had not heard from AF. BD stated he was still interested in collaborating. RJ agreed to communicate to all volunteers. OPEN

JAN03-11 RJ, AF
RJ suggested that regarding routability testing, the RIRs could announce the space themselves and see if they run into any problems. AF stated that he has set up reachability tests, and could informally provide this information to ARIN to determine what networks would not be able to reach the space. RJ stated he would contact AF at the public policy meeting. OPEN

JAN03-12 AC
Regarding the allocation of IPv6 space to RIRs: AC to read RIPE document #261 on IPv6 in order to draft a policy proposal to post to the ARIN region.

RJ reiterated that this task is on the agenda for the IPv6 WG as a discussion point. No formal policy proposal exists in any region, it is only in discussion phase. RJ will post a link to the AC list for them to access the RIPE document. OPEN

JAN03-13 SW, BD, AF and JS
Volunteered to work on defining a policy for allocation of AS numbers to RIRs. BD explained this was to gain an understanding of the relationship between RIRs/ICANN on how to gain, and what notice is needed to gain, access to resources. No action taken yet. RJ stated that one policy proposal addresses this issue, not specifically AS, but IPv4 blocks.

JAN03-15 BD/SOB/AC
Volunteered to work on a Policy Proposal template. AC was to review and send comments to BD. RJ stated that the process was discussed at board meeting last week and time be added to the agenda to discuss this in Memphis. RJ sent comments to SoB and BD on the process. Expect to see results at ARIN XI. Work in progress. OPEN

JAN03-16 BD
Volunteered to work with ARIN staff on training plans and get back to the AC. BD contacted ARIN staff and was told there were new CBT initiatives and welcomed his assistance. RJ gave an update on the CBT initiatives stating that querying in the new ARIN WHOIS as a tool has been developed. DONE

RJ thanked the AC for all of their feedback over the last six years that ARIN staff has received.

MAR03-01 ARIN Staff
Send message to authors of PP 2002-3 asking for permission to post to list with clarifying language. If no, post original proposal to list for comments. DONE

MAR03-02 ARIN Staff
Post PP 2002-8 “Privatizing POC Information” back to list for Last Call. DONE

10. Any Other Business

The Chair reminded the AC that the next meeting will be held Tuesday, April 8, 2003. RJ will post the time of the meeting to the list. All of the AC plans on attending.

BD asked why attendance was down for ARIN XI. RJ said registration numbers are down. This is the lowest in several years, and excluding the Board, AC and other RIR staff, it’s under 60 people. BD felt this needed to be addressed for the sake of the Policy Proposal process. ARIN is not the only registry that this is happening to, but it makes it difficult for discussing policy proposals.

AD asked about broadcase and call-in capability for the ARIN meeting. RJ stated that for the fall meeting this was being looked into.

11. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 5:09 p.m. EST. MK moved to adjourn. This was seconded by DA. The motion passed unanimously.