Meeting of the ARIN Advisory Council
18 January 2000
- Bill Darte
- Steve Corbato
- Mark Kosters
- Bill Manning
- Guy Middleton
- Hilarie Orman
- Ron Roberts
- Alec Peterson
- John Sweeting
- Cathy Wittbrodt
- Kim Hubbard, ARIN President
- Susan Hamlin, ARIN Executive Assistant
Chairman Alec Peterson called the meeting to order at 2:08 PM.
The first order of business was to elect a new Chairman. Bill Darte nominated Alec Peterson. John Sweeting seconded the motion and it was agreed to unanimously (Alec abstained).
Alec welcomed new AC members Mark Kosters, Ron Roberts, and John Sweeting.
The next agenda item was a review of goals for the Advisory Council for the year 2000. The members suggested making a list of items to consider for action. The following items were offered for further consideration and prioritization:
- ARIN should advise/assist upstreams in making their application process for IP addresses less cumbersome and intrusive. (Perhaps give this issue to CLEW and let the group work on a new form for ISP's to use and/or a "consumer guide" to IP assignment from ISP to ARIN)
- Work to help CLEW find new areas where documentation might be desirable.
- Advisory Council involvement in bootstrapping emerging registries (discuss possibility of temporarily relaxing the initial block assignment practice); improve infrastructure in Africa and Latin America. (ARIN doing public outreach - improve communication with emerging registries in these areas)
- Routing Registry
- Launch ARIN effort to spur the reclamation effort.
- Identify appropriate method and mechanism to portray IP allocation and routing table size on an on-going basis. This would include identifying stable and credible sources of information, as well as determining the best way to present the information and where to make it available. (It was suggested that ARIN give a "State of the Address World" presentation at the IETF fall meeting.)
- Examine ways to monitor the Ad Hoc Committee.
Alec suggested that this list be circulated via the mailing list for further comment and prioritization. Topics will be discussed in depth during subsequent meetings.
The next Advisory Council meeting will be held on Sunday evening, April 2 in Calgary in conjunction with the ARIN Member meeting. Staff was directed to arrange a time around previously scheduled meeting activities.
All agreed that another conference call midway between today and the April meeting would be helpful. Alec agreed to start circulating possible dates to everyone.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:10 PM.